- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-12/RV-12iS
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2019, 10:01 AM

Default Maintenance costs RV-9A vs RV-12

Bigger motor, a little faster, sucks more fuel. Less efficient for flying around the patch, payload is about the same... What am I missing about comparison of operating costs and insurance? I see many RV-9A's for sale, with steam gauges... Cost to upgrade to glass like a Dynon D1000 touch or ?
Old 02-13-2019, 10:53 AM

I would say that 50mph is more than "a little faster". 100 lbs vs 75 for baggage is also not insignificant. Not sure about comparing operating costs as I have never owned a Rotax but the costs for my O-320 are very reasonable, and parts are easy to find almost anywhere.

For trips around the patch and local flying, a 12 is perfectly suited, and even the occasional XC. More frequent or longer XC's would certainly favor the 9.

Panel upgrade costs depend on who does the work. If it's you, its the cost of the avionics, new panel, etc. If you hire it out, you can probably double that, if not more.

Chris
Old 02-13-2019, 11:20 AM

Hah, when I fly side by side with my Rv12 friend I’m burning about the same amount of fuel....but I can go much faster, higher and carry more in my 9A. The only different is I am usually burning 100L and he is burning auto fuel.
RV-10 Building - Finishing Kit
www.DarinAnderson.com
2019 donation sent!
Old 02-13-2019, 11:49 AM
Forum Peruser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuldarin View Post
...I am usually burning 100LL and he is burning auto fuel.
And in some places, as on a cross country, auto fuel (mogas) is hard to find without going into town. Update: All I was saying was that if the "other guy" in that post is burning auto gas, he might have to be careful where he lands on a cross country if he wants to continue to use mogas. Hey, I'm a fan of the 12.
Pilots'n Paws Pilot
N79599/APRS Automatic Position Reporting System

“Certainly, travel is more than the seeing of sights;
it is a change that goes on, deep and permanent, in the ideas of living." Miriam Beard

"It should be added that the sublime beauty of the facture brings within the realm of discourse the substructure of critical thinking. " -using Doug's Art Critique jargon link and my birthday, I get this!

Last edited by rv7boy : 02-13-2019 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Added the Update.
Old 02-13-2019, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rv7boy View Post
And in some places, as on a cross country, auto fuel (mogas) is hard to find without going into town.
Bear in mind, the RV-12 does not require MOGAS. It is optional. Burning AVGAS some of the time, or even all of the time, will affect maintenance frequency and cost, but it's not a problem. There are RV-12s being operated on 100% AVGAS.

I like the RV-12. It's a fine airplane, within its design limits. If it fits your requirements, it's a great little airplane. Having said that, if I were not limited to flying with Sport Pilot privileges, OR if those privileges extended to the RV-9, I would almost certainly be flying an RV-9. The RV-12 has better visibility, at least downward. The RV-9 has more speed, more baggage space (never mind weight capacity), and is a little more rugged. And you can put an engine in it that can burn MOGAS if that's a factor for you.

Omaha, NE
RV-12 # 222 N980KM "Screamin' Canary" (bought flying)
Fisher Celebrity (under construction)
Previous RV-7 project (sold)
Old 02-13-2019, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuldarin View Post
Hah, when I fly side by side with my Rv12 friend I’m burning about the same amount of fuel....but I can go much faster, higher and carry more in my 9A. The only different is I am usually burning 100L and he is burning auto fuel.
Yep, you said it. I am burning autofuel as well, and you can't do this in a 12. Midland, TX to Hot Springs, AR in 2:38 last weekend.

Old 02-13-2019, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
Yep, you said it. I am burning autofuel as well, and you can't do this in a 12. Midland, TX to Hot Springs, AR in 2:38 last weekend.

That's a tailwind of 56 kts... gettin a little help there, headed 054, gonna pay for it when you head back home. How much motor and HP are you running in your bird?

Last edited by NinerBikes : 02-13-2019 at 01:07 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NinerBikes View Post
That's a tailwind of 56 kts... gettin a little help there, headed 054, gonna pay for it when you head back home. How much motor and HP are you running in your bird?
You asked about the difference between the airplanes, not about headwinds and tailwinds. I'm getting better than 22 nm/gal TRUE in that photo at 149 knots true, at 17,000'. That's what my 9A can do, and I still have a ton of drag cleanup to complete.

The two planes are not the same - they each have niche to fill. Different pilots have different missions. Pick the plane that fits your mission and fly it.

Last edited by airguy : 02-13-2019 at 01:12 PM.
Old 02-13-2019, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleB View Post
The RV-12 has better visibility, at least downward.
Coming from an RV-9A owner who just took his first RV-12 ride yesterday, this is definitely true. The additional visibility afforded by the 12 is very nice.
Old 02-13-2019, 02:18 PM

Default 17K

Quote:
Originally Posted by airguy View Post
You asked about the difference between the airplanes, not about headwinds and tailwinds. I'm getting better than 22 nm/gal TRUE in that photo at 149 knots true, at 17,000'. That's what my 9A can do, and I still have a ton of drag cleanup to complete.

The two planes are not the same - they each have niche to fill. Different pilots have different missions. Pick the plane that fits your mission and fly it.
Apparently the Roncz airfoil wing likes 17,000 feet. Nice!
Worlds longest RV build...but getting there