VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 02-20-2019, 04:25 AM

Default Fuel Tank leak

Last week I discovered a leak from the round plate supporting the fuel sender in the tank. I have removed the plate & removed the old sealant from it & the tank, scuffed & cleaned, I am ready to reassemble , but I have mental pictures of the screws pushing little blobs of sealant into the tank as I go. Am I worrying too much or should I avoid sealant on the screws altogether? I can't recall what I did on the original construction & can't get to my assembly instructions until I go to the hangar, - I would appreciate any comments/help.. Cheers, DEAN
Old 02-20-2019, 05:22 AM

I put some sealant on the screw threads before installing them.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:51 AM

Same here I just turned the screws in sealant for a thin layer on the thread. Such a tiny amount that itís very unlikely any would break off as you describe.

Also the fuel pickup on the bottom has a course screen in it, I would inspect that screen and the gascolator screen a few hours of engine time after a piece of work like you describe. They are both very easy to get to.
Old 02-20-2019, 07:56 AM

I'm a long-time member of the George Orndorff (ask your parents) "use a ton of sealant" club.

I'd be interested in hearing stories of ProSeal "breaking off" inside a tank but in almost 20 years on the various VAF sites etc., I can't think of a single one. That stuff is bulletproof.
RV-12iS finishing kit (stalled for winter)

Builder log
Old 02-20-2019, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dinowal View Post
... I have mental pictures of the screws pushing little blobs of sealant into the tank as I go. Am I worrying too much... DEAN
No, Dean. You are not worrying too much. I lay awake at night with mental images of a mouse running along the attic rafters with a kitchen match in its mouth scraping against nearby objects.

I too have had a tank leak and upon removing the big round plate have seen round blobs of proseal stuck to the tank skin below the plate. The next time, I did not squish proseal into the nutplates, but, did liberally coat just the screw threads (not the end) also making sure there was proseal under the screw head. Proseal is like beer and sex, you can never have too much.
N283S - RV-7 1400+ hrs
KC-135 A/D/E Boomer (Ret.)
Old 02-21-2019, 01:04 AM

Wink

Thanks very much for your helpful replies, guys! I also got a very comprehensive reply from Sterling at Van's as well, including photos. I feel much more confident now & won't worry so much!! Thanks, Steve, enjoyed your comment, - beer, sex, Aviation... Hmmm guess 2 out of 3 is not too bad?
Cheers, DEAN;
Old 02-21-2019, 09:47 AM

Dean,

What did Sterling recommend?

Thanks,

VAF donation made for 2019
Old 02-21-2019, 11:31 PM

Hi Mark, Sterling said quote " Sealant on the end of the screws has never been a concern". He then included photos showing sealant being applied to the threads of the screws, as Robert "RGMWA" described. A circular bead of sealant on the tank face, & on it went. I will do mine next week, - looking forward to no leaks & going FLYING.... Cheers, DEAN
Old 02-22-2019, 12:23 AM

Thanks, Dean. I appreciate it.

VAF donation made for 2019