What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VS Skin Dimpling Question

jMINTj

So I searched the plans and did a search here but I can't find an answer that is definitive.

On the VS drawing it lists 6 places on each side of the lower VS skin with X's and says to leave them open for the Empennage Fairing. I've figured out this will be in the Finish Kit, part # F-794B. However, I can't find a reference to it anywhere in the plans, even though I scoured the fuse section and the stuff in the canopy, landing gear, etc. sections.

My question is simply this: Should I dimple these holes or leave them as is? Does it matter?? Thanks in advance for any assistance! You guys have been a big help already!

So I searched the plans and did a search here but I can't find an answer that is definitive.

On the VS drawing it lists 6 places on each side of the lower VS skin with X's and says to leave them open for the Empennage Fairing. I've figured out this will be in the Finish Kit, part # F-794B. However, I can't find a reference to it anywhere in the plans, even though I scoured the fuse section and the stuff in the canopy, landing gear, etc. sections.

My question is simply this: Should I dimple these holes or leave them as is? Does it matter?? Thanks in advance for any assistance! You guys have been a big help already!

I bought a kit-in-progress and they were all dimpled. Going back and adding the platenuts will require to undimple or grind off the protruding material for the nutplate to lay flat. I suggest leave them undimpled, as you can dimple both skins together if needed in the end. Undimpling, I did not like the result.

The nutplates are needed for attachment of the empennage fairing to the fuse, VA and HS. If you think you will only use the elegant minimum number of fasteners, then make the choice now, and dimple appropriately. Check DWG 44.

I bought a kit-in-progress and they were all dimpled. Going back and adding the platenuts will require to undimple or grind off the protruding material for the nutplate to lay flat. I suggest leave them undimpled, as you can dimple both skins together if needed in the end. Undimpling, I did not like the result.

The nutplates are needed for attachment of the empennage fairing to the fuse, VA and HS. If you think you will only use the elegant minimum number of fasteners, then make the choice now, and dimple appropriately. Check DWG 44.

That makes a lot more sense looking at DWG 44 now. The rivet designation threw me off a bit, so I wanted to make sure. I'll leave them undimpled as it sounds like that's the simpler option. Thanks, Bill!

Back