What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

landing cavity light

Ron B.

Well Known Member
Anyone fit the landing light lenses yet. I started tonight but don't see how I'll get it to fit thru the skin hole to mark for trimming. Van's (phone) says some guess work trimming might be required prior to getting the lense to fit thru the hole!

Cutting Lens

Don Wentz from Duckworks pioneered the simple procedure years ago. Simply take a marker and mark on the outside of wing the shape you want the lens. Then place the lens over the outside of the wing and trace that outline on the lens. Now you can cut the lens to proper size.

WingtipLens_zps03afd01a.jpg

I haven't read the -14 instructions on this yet, but don't dimple for the lens mounting holes yet. First suck the lens up to the inside of hole as hard as you can to match drill. It helps to attach a tab of duct tape to the outside of the lens to help pull outward prior to match drilling. If it's not really tight when you match drill you'll end up with a gap between the lens and the leading edge of the wing.

Thanks Mark for the simple but very effective tip. Worked like a charm. I had three guys help push the lense before dimpling but I still ended up with 1/16 " gap as the lense didn't have exactly the same curve as the skin. It's tight everywhere but right at the nose.
Thanks again
Ron

Landing Light cavity paint

I'm at the point in section 15 where the plans say if you want to paint the inside of the landing light cavity and parts (flat black, white, etc) this is the time to do it. I've primed these parts/area, but need advice on color. Has anyone done this? I don't think I've seen one of these to know what it looks like. Can you see this cavity area on the ground? I don't know what color my wings will be yet and don't want to try to match that color.

I actually painted the area inside the wing around light bay in the wings of my -9A silver. My thought is that it would help reflect the light out. I'm not sure if it helps do that, but the color is something I've never really noticed with my dark blue wing tips. I think the light reflects off the lenses so you probalby wouldn't notice the color inside the wing regardless. Personally I wouldn't worry about it.

Back