What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Items to Complete Wings?

cwharris

I was wondering what all needs to be done before someone rivets on the bottom wing skins. Can someone list out all the items that needs to be taken care of or planned for before the bottom wing skins are riveted on. Thanks

If all of the structure is complete, then the skins are ready to install. Do not wait to rivet on the lower skins.

There is absolutely no advantage to running wiring or pitot system plumbing prior to installing the skins. Having to work around the wiring and tubing while riveting skins on actually makes installing the skins more difficult. Think about it this way...if you can get your hand in a rib bay to buck the rivets, you will not have any problems getting your hand in there later to run wiring.

Two exceptions:
If you want a mast mounted pitot I would modify the skin and fit the parts now. It is mush easier to now then later. If you want to install wiring conduit, it is much easier to drill the holes in the ribs to size now. After the skins are riveted on you can pull the conduit through then fish the wires through the conduit.

What about any other types of mounts that needs to be done? Do I need a mount for a magnetometer? What about any servo mounts or trim mounts?

Do I need to install wiring conduit, if so where and how to install and where do I buy?

So to start the list off her is what is recommended. I guess.

1: Mast mounted pitot. Modify the skin and fit the parts now.
2: Do Not run wiring or pitot system plumbing until bottom skin is on. Due to access for rivets.
3: Install wiring conduit.
4:

I believe the '10 and '14 wings are pretty similar. I just finished one of the outboard bottom skins of my '10.

Vans' tubing is extremely flexible. Honestly, I can't imagine putting it in with the skins on. It was pain enough getting it through the short section of the bottom skin that had already been done. It was reasonably easy to work around with it already installed. Plus, you probably want to put some proseal or RTV around it at the rib holes so they don't eat through the tubing over time. Can't imagine doing that with the skins on!

My vote would be install the tube, cut the appropriate holes for wiring, pull strings for the eventual wiring pulls and then rivet on!

Conduit

If you want the condit, pll it in before bottom skins. On the 7, it was no problem working around it to buck.

I have built three sets of RV wings. Conduit was installed in two sets of wings after the skins were riveted on. Didn't install conduit in my -14A wings.

If you can get a hand into a rib bay and buck rivets, you will most definitely be able to pull wire or conduit through.

Back