What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

52F OPEN

chrispratt

Well Known Member
What a pleasure to bring my RV-8 home to 52F and its new runway -- not repaved but a new runway. It's as smooth as any runway I've ever landed on. In fact, as I waited for my tail wheel to settle after my usual wheel landing, I couldn't feel it at all. I literally thought the tail wheel hadn't touched until I realized it had to have done so -- I was going to slow for it not to be on the ground.

I hope the feeling lasts.

Thanks to all at the POA board and the volunteers for making this happen -- and on schedule too!

I think I'm right in saying that visitors and residents alike please keep in mind this is a day VFR airport at the moment as the lighting is not back up and running. Watch NOTAMS for a future announcement when this is ready.

In the meantime, gotta love the moment.

Chris

New runway markings question

I have not quite figured out the new markings of the paved area that is outside of the runway edge markings (as seen on the south side of the Runway 17 picture on the front page).

Is this the new run-up area?

I looked at the official FAA runway manual and did not see a similar set of marking anywhere in that manual or in the AIM.:confused:

The new runway is great. It was worth the wait.

Not a run-up area

This is not a run-up area since it's beyond the hold short lines - probably just to indicate "grass" or "don't taxi here".

What he said

This is not a run-up area since it's beyond the hold short lines - probably just to indicate "grass" or "don't taxi here".

If I read the construction drawings correctly (Page 17) the area with all the parallel yellow lines that look like parking spaces is intended to be a "No Taxi" zone. The runway hold short position is prior to this area (on the parallel taxiway) and is where engine run-ups would be done. The yellow 6" wide taxiway center line is obviously where to taxi; the double-yellow curved edge of the adjacent area is the taxiway edge marking behind which are all those parallel lines I just mentioned.

So it looks as though the intent is to keep aircraft behind the holding position and on the parallel taxiway until ready to enter the runway for takeoff. I'm speculating that this is a safety measure to keep aircraft from being too close to the active runway when other aircraft are landing and possibly creating a hazard.

Chris

Last edited:
So it looks as though the intent is to keep aircraft behind the holding position and on the parallel taxiway until ready to enter the runway for takeoff. I'm speculating that this is a safety measure to keep aircraft from being too close to the active runway when other aircraft are landing and possibly creating a hazard.

Agreed, that's what the painted markings are trying to do, but... it doesn't fit. The layout is probably "FAA standard" clear zone measurements, but with the limited space between the taxiway and runway, now the problem will be an airplane (or two or three) doing their runup while blocking the taxiway. Not so much a big deal at the S end, but the N end is also the airport entrance road; this will end up causing the occasional auto traffic jam while drivers wait for pilots to do their runup. Interesting...

I heard a Bonanza asking for flight following to 52F as I was leaving Colorado Springs yesterday afternoon at about 3:30 mountain time. I commented to the guy I was flying with that I didn't realize the airport had reopened. Congratulations on the reopening! Hope the guy(s) in the Bonanza made it home safely.

Looks great and congratulations to all involved. However, I'm also puzzled by the "no-taxi" zones. Why lay down all that pavement if it's not intended to be used?

Looks great and congratulations to all involved. However, I'm also puzzled by the "no-taxi" zones. Why lay down all that pavement if it's not intended to be used?

I will leave that to be answered by a higher authority ;)

Chris

I too didn't realize I had touched down with the mains!! So smoooth..
Regardless if people say you can land where you want coming in from the North, that would be an FAR bust if you touch down before the threshold, unless nobody is looking but there are live feed video cameras in operation.

Taxiway markings per AIM

My curiosity has been piqued, so I grabbed my trusty 2011 FAR|AIM from ASA publications and looked up Section 3 Airport Marking Aids and Signs. Please note the words below are my opinion and not an official view from the Airport POA.

Words taken from ASA FAR|AIM 2011 edition, all rights reserved by their respective owners. (Underlined text is mine for clarity.)

Reference Section 2-3-4 TAXIWAY MARKINGS item c. Taxiway Edge Markings.
Taxiway edge markings are used to define the edge of the taxiway. They are primarily used when the taxiway edge does not correspond with the edge of the pavement. There are two types of markings depending upon whether the aircraft is supposed to cross the taxiway edge:
1. Continuous Markings. These consist of a continuous double yellow line, with each line being at least 6 inches (15 cm) in width spaced 6 inches (15 cm) apart. They are used to define the taxiway edge from the shoulder or some other abutting paved surface not intended for use by aircraft.

? and skipping to item d. Taxi Shoulder Markings.
Taxiways, holding bays, and aprons are sometimes provided with paved shoulders to prevent blast and water erosion. Although shoulders may have the appearance of full strength pavement they are not intended for use by aircraft, and may be unable to support an aircraft. Usually the taxiway edge marking will define this area. Where conditions exist such as islands or taxiway curves that may cause confusion as to which side of the edge stripe is for use by aircraft, taxiway shoulder markings may be used to indicate the pavement us unusable. Taxiway shoulder markings are yellow. (See Figure 2-3-10).

smtxqw.jpg

My take is that the area outside the taxiway edge markings, i.e the shoulders, is not to be used.

Chris

Thanks, Chris. Looks like you found the answer.

In 32 years of flying I can't remember ever seeing such markings, though I probably did at some point and didn't notice.

Thanks, Chris. Looks like you found the answer.

In 32 years of flying I can't remember ever seeing such markings, though I probably did at some point and didn't notice.

Honestly, I can't recall ever seeing them either.

Chris

Who had the honor of making the first Takeoff, and first Landing? :cool:

[ed. Mitch Whatley....the POA President and guy who did most of the legal research. He put in THOUSANDS of hours of work. Couldn't be more happy Mitch got the honors. v/r,dr]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back