What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage Sections - must they be done in order?

mturnerb

Well Known Member
Putting this out for others' input. I'm working on fuselage section 29 now - this is the "big" one where bulkheads are joined with drag fittings, lower skins mated, and longerons/side skins get added.

The next section is where the tailcone gets joined to main fuselage section, followed by various sub-systems like brakes, fuel, rudder pedals. Looking at logistics of this order, it seems to me that it will be easier to do much of this work on a smaller main piece - i.e. before joining the two sections together.

What are the pros/cons of moving forward on fuel/brake/rudder sections before the "big join"? I am doing much of the work solo and it will be easier to access things on a more manageable size piece.

I completed the fuel system and most of the rudder pedal/brake installation while I was waiting on help for the "big join". I didn't experience any cons although the forward fuselage did weight a bit more when joining, but it wasn't a big deal with two people.

I completed the fuel system and most of the rudder pedal/brake installation while I was waiting on help for the "big join". I didn't experience any cons although the forward fuselage did weight a bit more when joining, but it wasn't a big deal with two people.

Thanks - just what I was looking for!

Back