What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

ADSB / Transponder question from VFR pilot

Larry DeCamp

Well Known Member
I am ordering a Garmin G3X suite for my -4. I am a Day VFR pilot and avoid Class C space and have no reason ( so far) to go in class B. I have been asked for a squawk at a Class D and respond " negative transponder" in my steam gauge -3. Most of my 1,000 log hours are in tube and rag NORDO antiques.

I could add a transponder with ADSB IN for weather but DO NOT want to get involved with full 2020 compliance except for resale. My question is:how important, or appreciated, is a transponder for Class D participation ? Your opinions are appreciated.

If you just want weather, just get a 978 MHz ADSB-in box and display it on an iPad. Or a more expensive box that will display on your new Garmin panel. And if you want to join the 21st century, good Garmin 327 transponders are selling here for $400.
Edit. Forgot your question. If you stay away from class B and C you shouldn't hear too much grumbling from towers.

Last edited:
I am ordering a Garmin G3X suite for my -4. I am a Day VFR pilot and avoid Class C space and have no reason ( so far) to go in class B. I have been asked for a squawk at a Class D and respond " negative transponder" in my steam gauge -3. Most of my 1,000 log hours are in tube and rag NORDO antiques.

I could add a transponder with ADSB IN for weather but DO NOT want to get involved with full 2020 compliance except for resale. My question is:how important, or appreciated, is a transponder for Class D participation ? Your opinions are appreciated.

The Garmin GTX 35R (Approx. $2,450.00) is made to interface with the G3X. It requires a GPS position source. For a VFR only pilot the Garmin GPS 20A (Approx. $845.00) ADS-B GPS position source would likely be the lowest cost option.

Garmin offers other certified GPS options that will also work but cost more.

With a Garmin GTX 327 (Approx. $400.00) transponder you could buy the new Garmin GDL 82 (about 1,795.00) and be 2020 ADSB out compliant.

If you want traffic and WX you might want an ADSB in solution like the Garmin GDL 39 or the new GDL 52.

Of course, you could just sell your beautiful RV3B now before upgrading. If you do, please let me know.

Back