What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Progress Check - Where are you at?

jeeperjake

I'm New Here
Hi all-
I thought it might be an interesting beginning to the new forum for everyone to have an opportunity to mention where they are in production (those of us who are building)...

I am just now (finally!) getting into my rudder.

It would seem that after about two months of my workshop being overtaken by a Christmas gift project for the family, I have finally been able to reorganize (an ongoing problem) and get back to business! We are due to have our first chld any day now, so who knows how far I'll get before the next little hiatus!

Where are you? Any idea when you'll be airborne? I'm on the 5 year plan... no big hurry. (unless I win the lottery, of course)

Cheers & Thanks Doug :) for putting together a better option than the Yahoo! groups!

-Jake

RV-10 #41064 Progress

Hello everyone,

I have been toiling away at deburring the emp cone after having to take it apart. That has to be the most disheartening part of construction. You get the thing built up and have everyone over to see and the next time they are there it is in pieces again.

Just a note to newbies. Don't forget to do the wrist exercises!! The repetitive nature of this work can quickly lead to RSI injuries. Just take care and have fun building.

Dave

I'm currently working on finishing up my wings. Just finished the ailerons, and starting on the flaps.

This may be a topic for another thread, but I've noticed that my empennage structures are getting some surface corrosion on the outside of the skins. Anyone else have this problem? I'm frustrated by it because I'm not ready to paint yet, and I'm having a hard time finding info on what to do about it. Any suggestions?

PJ

Hi gang. I'm in the middle of the fuselage (okay, it's a QB fues). Finish kit's arriving the end of Feb!

Regarding the light surface corrosion. If it's a light white in color simply use an aluminum polish to remove it. I think it'll happen on unprimed spots where the sweat from one's hands was not wiped away.

RV-10 40250 - Prosealing Tanks

Greetings all and happy New Year!

I started my RV-10 and end of July 2004 and I am currently working on the tanks. I have 400 hrs in it so far. Prior to this project I built and completed my RV-9A 90442 N369RV.

Thanks
Ray Doerr

Progress

Greetings All,

I'm done with the cone and all of the flying parts on the back. Started on the wings recently. I'm already thinking about how I'll install the Trutrak servo since I know this plane will be on "autopilot" quite a bit. You know, to enhance passenger comfort! Anyone who has flown with me can tell you that when I hand fly the 6A, 60 degree turns at 2G's are standard....

Dennis
"Diceman"
RV-6A; N464DM

Rv-10 #40044

Located in Lubbock, Texas. Almost finished with Emp/Tailcone; QB Wings 95 percent completed; QB fuselage due next week; Finishing Kit due in February. Engine ready to assemble; MT 3 blade Prop waiting on engine; Starting to look at panel layout, already bought some things. RV-6A sold.

Russ Daves

Progress kit 40110

I have the tailcone almost completed, just lack installing the vertical and horizontal "corner" fairings. The wings are due to ship this week (slow build).
I do have a question about the elevator trim tabs. Full nose up position, both tabsare down. Full nose down, left tab stops about neutral, right tab continues up. Why? Please don't be too harsh on me, I'm no engineer. All my time has been in 150s & 172s.
Also, how has elevator balance come out. Mine seems to be abit tail heavy. I didn't deviate from the plans/instruction at all. Should I try to get them as close to perfect as I can, or not worry about it?

Marshall Alexander

Progress RV 10 QB

Emp cone and tail parts done. Wings done. Wing sent to Chuck and Jeffs for long range tanks. Waiting on Fuse/ Finish.
Mike Heberlings kit

RV10Man said:
I do have a question about the elevator trim tabs. Full nose up position, both tabsare down. Full nose down, left tab stops about neutral, right tab continues up. Why?

I'm taking a guess here, but I would suspect it's just that more nose-up travel is needed than nose-down. The stabilizer incidence is going to be set for a nominal cruise flight condition (speed/density altitude) so that drag is minimized there. Trim conditions slower than the nominal flight condition require nose-up trim, those faster require nose down trim. Hope that helps, and is more or less accurate!

Alex

Long Range Tanks?

"Wing sent to Chuck and Jeffs for long range tanks"

Is there a web site where I can find information on the long range tanks for the 10?

RV10-40318 RV9A flying

Just started my 10 Kit. Done with the VS. Been flying my 9A (N369TM) since late Sep with 60+ hours logged so far.

Kit 40275

Started in November. Riveting elevators. QB wings and fuse on order. Expecting March delivery. Need to be done with the cone by then.

Dave

RV4 kit 4354

Hi Guys

I just recived my fairings from Bob at Fairings-ete. Tonight I will be installing the empannage fairing.my 4 is on the gear,wiring is done,panel is done,the next thing to do is the gear leg fairings and wheel pants

Dayton

progress...

Hi group, I'm skinning the horizontal stab. Rudder and vert done. I've got the empacone and wing kits. I plan to order the fuslage as I get into the wings. Unusual aspects; for power I plan to run a rotary, (wankel) 3 rotor engine. I have the engine already.
Bill

Back