What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Flap skin edge crimping

iamtheari

Well Known Member
The plans (page 21-05, step 3) call for the aft edges of the FL-00001 nose skins to be crimped. Nothing is mentioned about crimping the FL-00002A and FL-00002B top and bottom flap skins. I am wondering if I should crimp the aft edges of the top and bottom skins. The last time I recall using this type of trailing edge material was the rudder, which (page 07-07, step 5) does call for a "slight break" on the skins. Does anyone have experience with the flap trailing edges with or without the crimp?

I didn't crimp the skins of the flap trailing edge and they came out looking pretty good although I did crimp the nose skins as called out in the plans. I think due to the lack of curvature at the trailing edge, crimping isn't required there compared with the nose skin edges. With the tool I used, crimping does leave a slight but noticeable crease in the reflective alclad surface which I imagine will disappear after final painting.

Back