What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Lowrance Updates

49clipper

I recieved my last update on 5/5/11. Looks like I ordered just in time for my 2000C. Bad thing is I just installed a new panel with a cutout just for the 2000c.

Need to figure out the .at5 format

My last update from Lowrance was 4/7 - 5/4. Since nobody seems to be creating updates for the units, I started looking around.

For a test I downloaded MN and WI waypoints from www.navaid.com. Just those two states yielded 1,495 waypoints.

Imported the data into the ExpertGPS program, but found it will only build a .usr file. The 2000c is limited to 1,000 user waypoints, so scratch that idea.

Also tried MapCreate 7.1 which came with the Lowrance. Created a beautiful map on the PC, but again would only create a .usr file.

Anyone know of software which will create .at5 files? I believe .at5 is proprietary and think that issue may need to be worked through Lowrance. I'll check with Lowrance and see what the answer is.

Would be nice to extend the useful life of these units a little longer.

BEWARE

Call Jepp... they state hands down they have not supplied ANY updates to Lowrance for about a year, any cards purchased per Jepp in my conversation are bogus AND NOT up to date.

Here's some worse news

:(

Just off of the phone with Lowrance to check into having my Airmap 1000 serviced. It no longer acquires satellites. Bottom line. No map updates. No repair service available. I hate that because I really liked the unit.

Just off of the phone with Lowrance to check into having my Airmap 1000 serviced. It no longer acquires satellites. Bottom line. No map updates. No repair service available. I hate that because I really liked the unit.

Don't give up yet......... try a re-set procedure...... http://www.lowrance.com/en/Support/Product-Support/Troubleshooting-Guide/Reset-Procedures/

And if that doesn't work, ask here for a used one..... many people went to garman and still have their old 1000 and 2000 on the shelf. You can purchase for less that what Lowrance would have charged for a repair

Last edited:

My 2000c will act like that if the batteries are low and the plane has not been flown for a couple of weeks... and yes the unit is hard wired. Once I change the batteries, fly the plane and the unit locates itself, everything is good to go. I love my 2000c and it will make one heck of a back-up for the plane when I'm force to move on to something else.

My 2000C has no batteries installed, and is hard wired to the aircraft. It will find it's self in a matter of seconds if I turn it on near the same location that it was shut off.

Jeppesen Update for Airmap 1000

Anybody out there that could send me a copy of the last Jeppesen US aviation database update (JepAmr0706.at5) from LEI Extras whenever they last sold them (July 11 or so was it)? It probably won't unlock and work with my SD card but I'd be interested in trying anyway. I very recently returned from overseas and had the Jeppesen international database installed. I was unaware Lowrance and LEI Extras had plans to discontinue support of Jeppesen database updates. I've been unable locate my most previous US database either so my Airmap 1000 is completely worthless in the US. If I can't get my my hands on a database I'll have a really nice Airmap 1000 I'll let go of for pretty cheap!

Lowrance Card

I know I have a 32mb card on my desktop that was installed in my 2000C when I bought it so it's way outdated but it has the Americas database in it if that would help make your 1000 useable. Let me know.

Mike R.

Anybody out there that could send me a copy of the last Jeppesen US aviation database update (JepAmr0706.at5) from LEI Extras whenever they last sold them (July 11 or so was it)? It probably won't unlock and work with my SD card but I'd be interested in trying anyway. I very recently returned from overseas and had the Jeppesen international database installed. I was unaware Lowrance and LEI Extras had plans to discontinue support of Jeppesen database updates. I've been unable locate my most previous US database either so my Airmap 1000 is completely worthless in the US. If I can't get my my hands on a database I'll have a really nice Airmap 1000 I'll let go of for pretty cheap!

I think it's time to bite the bullet!

Lowrance is no longer providing avaition database updates. I've been perfectly willing to fly with an outdated database in my GPS - instead relying on other charts for the latest updates. It's worked just fine for the past 18 months since the last time I was able to obtain an update.

But Seattle is making a MAJOR change to it's Class B airspace, and I use my GPS to navigate around the boundaries and layers of the Seattle airspace often!

110620seattle.jpg

You can see the new airspace outlined in black, and the old boundaries in faded blue.

So now I'm in the market for a new GPS. It's got to be portable and it has to include a simple way to get a NMEA data stream out to feed the Dynon, APRS, autopilot, etc.

I'll miss the old Lowrance 2000c. It's served me well for about five years now. If you're interested in purchasing it, let me know.

I've read all the posts and getting my 2000C navigation database updated does not seem like it's going to happen. I just wrote to Lowrance yesterday asking:

Hi,

Do you have news on when I may download an update to my navigation database for my Lowrance 2000C?

Thank you.

This was their answer today:

Thank you for your inquiry.

Unfortunately, the Aviation line of units were discontinued several years ago, for this reason, the Jeppesen updates for these units are no longer available for purchase and we have no more of these updates in stock. We no longer have a license from Jeppesen to sell these updates.

Thank you for your understanding.

Lowrance Customer Service

Navico Inc.
12000 E. Skelly Dr.
Tulsa, OK 74128

If anyone has an idea how to change the 2000C from a paperweight to a GPS again, I and many others would love to know!

Jeppeson License???

Wonder what it would cost to get a license from Jepp to sel Lowrance updates?

I've written to my contact there looking for a solution and will post here what I learn as soon as I hear something.

Lowrance Airmap 1000 for Sale

I know this discussion is going everywhere; however, I have one of these for sale and would part with it for $249 obo. I have everything that comes with it..box, manuals, antenna, power adapter, yoke mount, windshield mount, map software. The database is dated 04/13/06. Terry 630-764-9900.

Back