What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

G3x autopilot settings

JDA_BTR

Well Known Member
I hope someone will share their autopilot settings with me. My trim worked fine. The autopilot worked fine but when I engaged the auto trim features things are not working right. I attempted to install the settings per version AJ of the manual but it doesn?t match the screens I see in the 460 display loaded with the latest software.

My trim switch is a hat on the stick. Right trim rolls right and vice versa. Moving the hat up gives down pitch just like moving the stick forward. Hat back is nose up trim to relieve back pressure.

For our plane:
Autopilot section:
Roll: roll servo direction?
Pitch: pitch servo direction?

Trim section:
Roll trim switch direction
Roll trim servo direction
Roll trim servo switch direction
Same three for pitch.

In particular on the autopilot and trim configuration pages there is not a feature I can find shown in the manual to hit a button to do “trim movement test”.

Last edited:
I hope someone will share their autopilot settings with me. My trim worked fine. The autopilot worked fine but when I engaged the auto trim features things are not working right. I attempted to install the settings per version AJ of the manual but it doesn’t match the screens I see in the 460 display loaded with the latest software.

My trim switch is a hat on the stick. Right trim rolls right and vice versa. Moving the hat up gives down pitch just like moving the stick forward. Hat back is nose up trim to relieve back pressure.

For our plane:
Autopilot section:
Roll: roll servo direction?
Pitch: pitch servo direction?

Trim section:
Roll trim switch direction
Roll trim servo direction
Roll trim servo switch direction
Same three for pitch.
Hello JDA_BTR,

I can already see one of your problems based on your questions.

You are asking about Roll Trim Servo Direction and Roll Trim Servo Switch Direction. The key word being "Servo".

A Trim Servo is a GSA 28 and a Trim Motor is a Ray Allen type trim motor.

You are not using GSA 28 Servos for your trim system, so you should start by going into the LRU Configuration page under Autopilot and set Roll Trim Servo and Pitch Trim Servo to Disabled.

All of our certified GFC 500 installations are using GSA 28 servos for pitch trim, and this has complicated the setup to some degree, but the above guidance will get you straightened out.

Thanks,
Steve

Last edited:
I have three autopilot servos: roll, pitch, and yaw. So I think I don't understand what you are saying? Unless it is that people have additional GSA28 just to do the trim?

I'll also ask about the trim switch test. When I say "nose down" with the hat switch up, I get a "nose down" in the system screen for the pitch servo, but on the trim config screen the arrow goes "up". Yes the trim tab goes "up" to pitch the ship down, but it seems the arrow should go "down" for "pitch down"? Will this change when I disable the trim servo?

Lastly, does the G3X still run the trim system in auto when enabled and having the ray allen motor but no GSA servo?

Last edited:
I have three autopilot servos: roll, pitch, and yaw. So I think I don't understand what you are saying? Unless it is that people have additional GSA28 just to do the trim?

I'll also ask about the trim switch test. When I say "nose down" with the hat switch up, I get a "nose down" in the system screen for the pitch servo, but on the trim config screen the arrow goes "up". Yes the trim tab goes "up" to pitch the ship down, but it seems the arrow should go "down" for "pitch down"? Will this change when I disable the trim servo?

Lastly, does the G3X still run the trim system in auto when enabled and having the ray allen motor but no GSA servo?
Hello JDA_BTR,

Yes, a system may have up to 5 GSA 28 servos with 3 doing pitch/roll/yaw axis control, and 2 more doing pitch/roll trim.

The system should work fine when properly configured.

Yes, you can use auto-trim (with the autopilot engaged) with the Ray Allen trim motor(s) being driven directly by the pitch/roll/yaw GSA 28 servos. Most RVs are using these motors when they have electric trim.

We can do a better job of providing screen shots and other configuration guidance via email.

Thanks,
Steve

Back