What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Coating on top of SWP60G2

oren_rokach

Well Known Member
Hello everyone,
i am just about to receive my QB kit, sparyed with SWP60g2 wash primer.
Since i live in a salty humid area (deadly combination :( ), i wonder if the SW was primer will do the job, or do i need ot consider something else?

1. scuff it all and redo wiht alodyne/epoxy like i did in the empenage? seems problematic sine already rivetted. i will not be able to reach the most important places, where skin touches the ribs...etc

2. spray on top? also seems problematic, since a few months would elapse since coating was done in the Philippians. but maybe better than nothing?

Any recommendation from you prime experts would be greatly appreciate.!

Thanks
Oren.

P60G2

Hello everyone,
i am just about to receive my QB kit, sparyed with SWP60g2 wash primer.
Since i live in a salty humid area (deadly combination :( ), i wonder if the SW was primer will do the job, or do i need ot consider something else?

1. scuff it all and redo wiht alodyne/epoxy like i did in the empenage? seems problematic sine already rivetted. i will not be able to reach the most important places, where skin touches the ribs...etc

2. spray on top? also seems problematic, since a few months would elapse since coating was done in the Philippians. but maybe better than nothing?

Any recommendation from you prime experts would be greatly appreciate.!

Thanks
Oren.

My opinion. I wouldn't. Save the weight.
Vans has a sample exposed to the elements for 15 years. Every few years they expose a small section. Last posting it was still corrosion free. I have three samples sitting outside for a few years too. Bare, alodine and P60G2. All corrosion free. It's a test for vinyl. Each has a section of vinyl as well. suspect the inside would last forever with P60G2.
If you really want to do it, scuff with 400 or maroon scotchbrite, clean thoroughly and wipe with a paint prep degreaser before shooting. You'll have to spray paint on some interior parts anyway so I would forgo the extra primer layer on those areas to save weight.
Like I said, my opinion.

My opinion. I wouldn't. Save the weight.
Vans has a sample exposed to the elements for 15 years. Every few years they expose a small section. Last posting it was still corrosion free. I have three samples sitting outside for a few years too. Bare, alodine and P60G2. All corrosion free. It's a test for vinyl. Each has a section of vinyl as well. suspect the inside would last forever with P60G2.
If you really want to do it, scuff with 400 or maroon scotchbrite, clean thoroughly and wipe with a paint prep degreaser before shooting. You'll have to spray paint on some interior parts anyway so I would forgo the extra primer layer on those areas to save weight.
Like I said, my opinion.

Thanks Larry,
i am familiar with that test conducted by Vans,
however, they are not located in a salty seashore area.
I read one of the builder's experience which reside on the seasore, and started to experience corrosion after 12 months.

I wish they had an extra option for epoxy primer :)
Thanks,
- Oren

Back