VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-13-2019, 08:20 AM

A slight toe-in, .040 at the end of the threads on the axle. I think that's less than 1/2 degree but don't remember.

I based it on both the plans, which said to have it straight, and one of the Bakersfield RV/Rocket builders, who I think, not sure right now, said that their experience was that 1/2 degree worked well.

Dave
Old 06-13-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Paule View Post
With the help of my mentor, I made a list of things that need to be done before I glue the turtledeck on.

1. Cut the slots for the shoulder harness. They need to clear the as-yet undesigned canopy frame.
2. Install or at least prep for the transponder antenna. Install the transponder mount if access will be restricted later.
3. Make and fit the baggage compartment aft bulkhead.
4. Install the ADAHRS mount and maybe the ADAHRS, too, depending upon access.

You might recollect the ADAHRS brackets I’d made earlier.

It was intended to rivet these brackets to the aft face of the F-308 bulkhead, fairly high, so that it would be out of the way for cave access and away from magnetic interference. Turns out that while it would function fine there, mounting it to the 1 degree alignment accuracy would be a very iffy proposition, perhaps more frustrating than fun. I’m only building this plane for the fun of the project, so I need to design something easier to align. As the project progresses, my frustration tolerance has not increased. I’m just more used to it. It looks as if I can get the ADAHRS close enough to the tail for access through the F-309 bulkhead, the one at the top front of the aft shelf, if the elevator pushrod isn’t in the way, which I think it might not be. It appears to go through the next hole down. The ADAHRS would be accessible through the bulkheads’s top lightening hole.

After considerable hand-waving and playing around with pieces of angle, I came up with an ADAHRS mount that has the reliable alignment I wanted and continues the slide-in removal feature of the first version.

It is easily removable through that top lightening hole, as hoped.

The photos are also here, and here, too.

Dave
Might want to check with Dynon, but I suspect having that AOA port blocked could create problems for you at higher altitudes. I know that during static testing, the ports all need a limited amount of differential pressure between them to keep things from popping inside the unit. A tight fitting plug locks in a high pressure that can't be relieved as you climb.

Larry
Old 06-13-2019, 12:39 PM

Default AOA Port on ADAHARS

Dynon's Installation Manual - If AOA is not being installed, it is OK to leave the red plug that comes with the unit installed. It has a small hole in the head which allows for pressure equalization during normal operation. Section 5-8

HFS