What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV 6 and and IO360

Kevin R

Good morning,
I'm in the process of completing an RV 6 and have a IO360 A1A in the shop and was planning to use it on the project. I've searched the forum and read all of the posts. I'm looking for some feedback on my plan taking into consideration
that there are new cowls available. The project has a RV 7 tail with a 8 rudder and using a constant speed prop. Pro's and Con's.

Thanks
Kevin

Climbs great, heavy in pitch, heavy empty weight. I flew this combo from tul to hou and removed the engine. We are putting a narrow deck 360 a1d on. I did not like the way it flew compared to my 320 powered -6.

Last edited:
My -6 sports a carbed A1A converted to A3A 360 engine with 3 blade MT prop and -7 cowls.
But for the blue Vans demo the only -6 I?ve flown. Have some time in 320 powered -4s.

The MT prop is quite light, and coupled with 180hp and this airframe a very nice combination.

Of course, like titanhank suggests, have a custom 320 with even more power is another way to go. Not sure I would go this way since the smaller engine has to work harder to produce the same amount of power. No free lunch in aviation...

I love the angle valve. Weight is noticeable but I have a heavy battery up front which doesn't help. I keep some weight in the back if I'm just cruising around. I plan for 165kts true at 7.4 gph. Hard to beat for what I'm doing.

There's many 200hp angle valve io-360's with constant speed props on rv6's flying. Use lighter battery and try to put as much weight aft as you can.

The Hartzell Blended airfoil Prop is one of the better ones in my opinion. However you can buy composite constant speed props that are slightly lighter.

In general you'll be bucking up against a gross weight limitation, especially for aerobatics. So keep it light and keep it simple. If you add lots of heavy paint, fancy interior stuff, full panel you're going to end up having a heavier rv6.

The Hartz composite is 16lbs lighter than the alu blended airfoil I believe but they are VERY prod of it.

Back