What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bruce Bohannon, GREAT RV-8 training

I just returned from south of Houston, Tx where I had the privilege of flying with Bruce Bohannon in his RV-8. His hangar is full of cool airplanes, but I was focused specifically on front seat RV-8 training. Bruce not only didn't disappoint, but exceeded my expectations on what I could learn and how I could learn it. I had a tailwheel endorsement, had previously accomplished transition training in a RV-7 but felt I wanted to sit in the front of an RV-8 before testing one. Although I have over 20,000 hours in jets of various sizes, I am very inexperienced in small aircraft and especially tailwheel aircraft. I confessed all and he took it from there.

I flew 5 sorties with him, 3.8 hours in a day and a half, and I have to say he was one of the best instructors I have ever flown with. He gave me what he felt I needed and went beyond to get me thinking about my first test flight. I had no doubt he cared about me being trained and ready for what awaited me.

It was great having someone to train me up such as Bruce. As I told him as I was leaving, it was the best money spent on my RV-8!

He is in Angleton, Tx at Flying Tiger field (81D), and can be reached at (281) 889-8078

If you are reading this Bruce, thanks again!

For me, it's not if, but when. I've been in touch with him, and I need to get my aircraft closer to first flight before booking it. Probably next summer.

I too just finished flying with Bruce to become educated on the ways of the RV8. My creds are very similar to Red's just not as much total time. I have over 100hrs of tailwheel time but it was many, many years ago. I showed, hat in hand and said, school me. Bruce did just that. There was a lot of laughter from both he and I from my silly mistakes but it was an incredible experience! Bruce is extremely knowledgable in taildraggers, RVs and how to instruct idiots like me! Worth every penny!! I just bought an RV8 and look forward to picking it up with my new education! This isn't a part 141 school where you walk in and everything is shiny and cold, ties and uptight people. It's a down to earth, seat of the pants, old school, teach you how to really understand how to fly and respect taildraggers, the RV, and to feel comfortable with it. Everything about my training exceeded my expectations!

Last edited:
Back