What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

-7 F-7114 Gusset Fit

mfleming

Well Known Member
Patron
Im fitting the F-7114 fuselage gussets.

7114_plans.jpg

The right side install was easy but the left side gusset is obviously ill fitting. I read somewhere on here that Van's say's this is a common problem and to either make the holes bigger or relive some metal on the side that contacts the F-7101 web.

Making the holes bigger seems wrong...But relieving the side seems like that would be a lot of metal to make a difference :eek:

Van's tech support crew is apparently at Sun & Fun so looking to confirm the above mentioned fixes or looking for other ideas.

7114.jpg

I just went through this a couple of weeks ago. Mine initially fit about like yours. Oddly enough, I also had more trouble with the left one than the right. I had to close the longitudinal angle a bit, and a took a few turns with an edge deburring tool in the bolt holes. I didn’t remove any metal from the side of the flange, but I did have to shorten the aft end to clear an existing rivet. The top photo of my build log that day shows the fit before drilling for the 5 AN3 bolts, and the next day’s entry shows the fit after.

Last edited:
I just went through this a couple of weeks ago. Mine initially fit about like yours. Oddly enough, I also had more trouble with the left one than the right. I had to close the longitudinal angle a bit, and a took a few turns with an edge deburring tool in the bolt holes. I didn?t remove any metal from the side of the flange, but I did have to shorten the aft end to clear an existing rivet. The top photo of my build log that day shows the fit before drilling for the 5 AN3 bolts, and the next day?s entry shows the fit after.

So I'm not sure what "close the longitudinal angle" means... By slightly enlarging the holes, this lets the angle to be closed??

Adjust the flanges

Same problem, same side! I used the same technique I have on some other flanges to "move" them in or out. These two photos are from the flap ribs but illustrate the technique.
IMG_0890 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr
IMG_0891 by Ed Fleming, on Flickr

WOW, that's A LOT of fudge factor!

Mine fit PERFECTLY. I would rather be lucky than good!

Another option is to cut it off entirely and rivet on a piece of angle in it's place.

That could be a good plan "B" if you mess up the re-bending process. Try that first.

Good luck!

You will enjoy the machine when it's done!

:) CJ

Back