What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Recommendations for moving to the Fort Collins area

Carl Froehlich

Well Known Member
I?m considering a move to the Fort Collins area. I?d appreciate ideas on:
- Any airparks to consider
- RV friendly airports with hangars
- Airplane tax issues

Thanks,
Carl

Airports

I?m considering a move to the Fort Collins area. I?d appreciate ideas on:
- Any airparks to consider
- RV friendly airports with hangars
- Airplane tax issues

Thanks,
Carl

Most airports have a waiting list. KFNL (Northern Colorado Regional) is in between Fort Collins and Loveland. Nice bunch. Several RVs building and flying. My hangar location. Greely and Longmont are not too far.
Don't know about the tax yet. Still building.

I think the nearest airparks are further south, like Parkland or Erie. Hangar space is sometimes available, check with the airport. At Longmont, KLMO, you can buy hangars and rent the ground under them. You'll pay ground rental, property tax on the building, and insurance (all are annual costs).

KLMO is busy and has a lot of jumper activity. They land mid-field so be careful.

Dave

Appears to be one home for sale currently at parkland estates, just North of Erie. And a couple places for sale at Erie Airport (KEIK)... One of them is very cool, for a cool $3.5M. Both these locations would be easy commute to Fort Collins.

There was a guy on here last spring with some hangar availability at Platte Valley (18V). Too bad old Fort Collins downtown airport was abandoned in the last decade, just an industrial area now, Odell Brewing is a good stop nearby there though.

When I checked last spring; Greeley (KGXY) had one T hangar available when i called for a reasonable price ($250/mo maybe, half dirt floor though) but that was the only one i found along the front range, all others were a couple year waiting list.

FNL and GXY are both pretty busy little airports.

Van Air

Van Air is a fly in community in Brighton that is pretty close. There are a bunch of RV guys there also.

Colorado Use (Sales) tax

While Colorado doesn't charge property tax, they do assess a use tax for some airplanes brought into state, and registered in Colorado.

If you build an experimental and register it in Colorado, there is no tax. That is because it is considered "parts", and they are exempt because of a ruling permitting the exemption of parts because of an allowance to United Airlines.

If you bring a previously registered experimental into the state, it is taxed the same as a factory airplane. I'm not sure how they would treat an experimental if you are the builder, and had previously registered it in another state.

Roger Bloomfield
N51BL RV-8 at KAEJ (Buena Vista, CO)

While Colorado doesn't charge property tax, they do assess a use tax for some airplanes brought into state, and registered in Colorado.

If you build an experimental and register it in Colorado, there is no tax. That is because it is considered "parts", and they are exempt because of a ruling permitting the exemption of parts because of an allowance to United Airlines.

If you bring a previously registered experimental into the state, it is taxed the same as a factory airplane. I'm not sure how they would treat an experimental if you are the builder, and had previously registered it in another state.

Roger Bloomfield
N51BL RV-8 at KAEJ (Buena Vista, CO)

Thanks Roger - I?ll dig into this. It sounds similar to the Florida mess. The sales tax on the plane will be paid to the state of Virginia.

Carl

Back