What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Radial engine RV-8 update

Torque

Q: is the RV designed aerodinamically to accept a LH turning engine (lyc) to counter react torque and P factor tendencies or is it Neutral? If RV did factor this on its design and Since the russian engines turn opposite to Western engines, have you factored that small detail? I cant wait to see the flying aircraft..

Q: is the RV designed aerodinamically to accept a LH turning engine (lyc) to counter react torque and P factor tendencies or is it Neutral? If RV did factor this on its design and Since the russian engines turn opposite to Western engines, have you factored that small detail? I cant wait to see the flying aircraft..

I don't think that's a problem with the Rotec's.

Nope

Mitch, it's an Australian engine by Rotec, not Russian and rotates clockwise.

Best,

Yeah, the Vedeneyev M14P is a bit much for an RV. It tips the scales at 472 lbs. dry.

Cant wait for the Flyby

Awsome and very cool sound, good luck on your first flights.

Looking forward to your videos.

regards
Dave

Thanks everyone! It's been a fun project so far. It's most definitely not a Russian radial. It's a Rotec Aerosport R-3600, 150 hp, with a GT electric constant speed prop. The engine meets all of the engineering parameters, with weight and HP, that Vans originally designed into the RV-8 airframe.

CCW rotating props

Q: is the RV designed aerodinamically to accept a LH turning engine (lyc) to counter react torque and P factor tendencies or is it Neutral?

There have been numerous rotary powered RV's that have flown with PSRU that turn CCW with no issues...just have to use left rudder on take-off / climb out. :)

I know we're all looking forward to seeing the first flight video!

Doug Lomheim
RV-9A Rotary 13B (will hopefully get finished someday!)

My understanding from post on this site (I am not an 8 builder):

The RV8 vertical stabilizer is mounted straight, not angled for P-factor.
Instead, the engine mount is asymmetrical which is a different method.

So, if one is using a custom engine and engine mount, the builder is free to do as needed.

My understanding from post on this site (I am not an 8 builder):

The RV8 vertical stabilizer is mounted straight, not angled for P-factor.
Instead, the engine mount is asymmetrical which is a different method.

So, if one is using a custom engine and engine mount, the builder is free to do as needed.

BTW, Bill, the 7 has both, VS twist and engine twist. The prop is closer to the RS cowl inlet.

I absolutely LOVE the sound of the radials!! Sky King was not the same when they switched to a new airplane with flat engines.

Last edited:
LOVE IT !!!!!!!!!!!!

The round engine cowl..........

The fastback...........

The little wheel in the back...................

I have a serious case of the covets.

This has got to be the most ridiculous thing i have ever seen!
And by that i mean the most ridiculously awesome thing i have ever seen! :D

Good luck to you on the first flight

Too bad you couldn't bend that wing like a Corsair! :D Definitely cool and I am smitten with envy.

Too cool! I give you credit, because if it was me when that tail came up, I don't know if I would've held back. :D

Looking forward to seeing the first flight and the joy that follows.

Way cool. Would love to see a round motor -8 complete with the SEA paintjob to resemble A-1 Skyraider. Market that cowl and make a million dollars!

Beautiful

Beautiful plane, but it seems to be missing a couple bends in the wings!

235007.jpg

WOW WOW WOW

I am a believer of the Van's ideology of keep it simple, keep it Lycoming BUT this looks very professional, very powerful and VERY interesting!

Good luck with your flight tests, and first flight.

How do you manage the weight and balance with such a heavy engine up front?

Dave

Back