- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Main > RV General Discussion/News
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2019, 04:44 PM

Default Weight & Balance in Foreflight

I am trying to setup the W&B in Foreflight. I am stuck on the forward and aft CG limits. I have a 6A and there is nothing in the POH that can help me. What are others doing to fill this out. Am I including the weights of the souls on board for both fore and aft? Scratching my head on this one. No way to speak to anyone at Foreflight. All I get is an e-mail that is no help.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:30 PM

The CG limits are limits regardless of weight. The way the weight is distributed in the aircraft determines its CG. The CG limits are the same at empty weight as max weight. In the case of the RV-6/6a it is 68.7” forward and 76.8” aft except for aerobatics where the aft limit decreases to 75.37”.

From your flight trading you heard of ARROW. ARROW stands for Airworthiness Certificate, Radio Station License, Registration Certificate, Operating Limitations, Weight and Balance (documents required to be in an aircraft by the FAA). You must have onboard the weight and balance information (empty and max weight and CG range). Before each flight you should calculate the CG for the TO and Landing fuel/weight.

When was the last time the plane was weighed and the Empty Weight and CG determined? I did that when I bought my RV-10 and found it was heavier and the CG was wrong. If it has been a while and equipment changed then I suggest weighing it and determining the empty weight and CG which includes verifying nose and main gear position compared to the datum. I am sure there is an EAA chapter or A&P near you to help.

TJ
RV-10 N331JH 3rd owner (First flew in 2005, #15 flying)
Northwest Regional 52F
Old 09-13-2019, 05:35 PM

From Van's: "RV-6A WEIGHT AND BALANCE DATA QUICK REFERENCE":

https://www.vansaircraft.com/wp-cont.../01/RV6Awb.pdf

And as it says: "NOTE: this quick reference chart is NOT a substitute for the complete Weight and Balance information contained in Section 14 of the Builder’s Manual.", so get a copy of the RV-6A plans and builder's manual on a USB stick:

https://shop.vansaircraft.com/cgi-bi...oduct=fd_plans

And the very complete "Weight and Balance Handbook" from the FAA:

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_poli...A-H-8083-1.pdf
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
- Out with the Old, In with the New
(Pic)
RV-8, 1938 Tach Hours (Pic 1),(Pic 2) - Sold

Glasflügel Standard Libelle 201B - Sold
Rolladen-Schneider LS1-f - No longer owned

Last edited by RV8JD : 09-13-2019 at 06:09 PM.
Old 09-13-2019, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joepre View Post
No way to speak to anyone at Foreflight. All I get is an e-mail that is no help.

There most certainly IS a way to get help from ForeFlight. Feel free to PM me if you have a specific FF question that you'd like answered.

From what I can tell so far, your question thus far is RV-6 related, not FF related...
Old 09-14-2019, 07:06 AM

Default W&B

Could anyone post a screenshot of an RV-6 W&B from their ForeFlight page? I’d like to confirm that I did mine correctly.
Thanks

2019 Dues paid.
Old 09-14-2019, 01:18 PM

I have all of the weight figures already. I know the CG range and have the form from Vans. The question is which weight numbers do I use in the minimum and maximum fields for both forward and aft limits.
This is not a W&B question as more a question around which figures to use.
Do I use gross weight for the max forward and aft limit fields? Likewise do I use empty weight for the minimum forward and aft limits
Old 09-14-2019, 01:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPX View Post
There most certainly IS a way to get help from ForeFlight. Feel free to PM me if you have a specific FF question that you'd like answered.

From what I can tell so far, your question thus far is RV-6 related, not FF related...
It is a FF question. I wish there was as a way to speak to someone. I’ll try to figure it out
Old 09-14-2019, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joepre View Post
I have all of the weight figures already. I know the CG range and have the form from Vans. The question is which weight numbers do I use in the minimum and maximum fields for both forward and aft limits.
This is not a W&B question as more a question around which figures to use.
Do I use gross weight for the max forward and aft limit fields? Likewise do I use empty weight for the minimum forward and aft limits
For the FWD and AFT CG's upper weight limit, use the Max Gross Weight (1650 lbs for the RV-6A, or 1375 lbs for Aerobatic Category Limits).

For the FWD and AFT CG's lower weight limit, you could use the Empty Weight of your airplane, or something less.

Here is a screenshot from my RV-8 Foreflight W&B profile. The upper limit is the Max Gross of 1800 lbs. I picked 1000 lbs as the lower limit, as it is slightly less than my Empty Weight and a nice round number. This is for the Utility Category Limits. I have a separate one for the Aerobatic Category Limits. Per the FF FAQs, you cannot have both Category Limits in one W&B Profile.

Here is a link to the FF W&B Guide:

http://cloudfront.foreflight.com/doc...0optimized.pdf

This is what my Excel spreadsheet spits out:

Hope this helps.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
(Pic)

Last edited by RV8JD : 09-14-2019 at 05:50 PM.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:55 PM

Default W&B

Thanks for posting your screenshot Carl. I was able to figure out my problem. I was not computing a W&B for takeoff and landing with a changing fuel load for both ends of the flight. Instead I was doing two separate graphs for each phase of flight. One for takeoff and one for landing. Therefor no line indicating CG movement during the flight.
Old 09-14-2019, 10:19 PM

You're quite welcome. Glad you got it sorted out.
(Pic 1),(Pic 2)
(Pic)