What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What stick grip did you use?

bhassel

Well Known Member
Just a little daydreaming between rivets.

What stick grip did you use and how difficult was it to mount?

Thanks,

Bob

Infinity. No real issues if you read and follow the directions. Also plan for some rotation to fit the angle of your arm/wrist on the grip for comfort.

I chose the RAY ALLEN G101 STICK GRIP from Aircraft Spruce. It was stone simple to mount, seems to be comfortable and long lasting. One bonus to me was I ordered another soft rubber part only, it fits the flap handle and is therefore attractively matched to the control sticks.

A benefit of the Ray Allens is you get high quality tactile switches to replace the cheapo original PTT switches.

Used the ray allen grips but getting 6 wires in was very difficult.
I use trim , autopilot engage/disengage and fuel pump on/off from the sticks.
Great grips

As much as I would have liked more functions on the stick, threading the wires was going to be a hassle for sure. Having flown a 12, I found the trim on the panel to be very nice, would recommend using only the PTT model.

I did what Don did.
Just out of curiosity, does anyone know what grips Vans uses in the S-LSA's.

Last edited:
RA G101 grip install

Just a little daydreaming between rivets.

What stick grip did you use and how difficult was it to mount?

Thanks,

Bob

The Ray Allen G101, the PTT switch "works a treat" (as our friends in the UK like to say);)
CTT_4666-L.jpg

Each grip comes packed with adapters for stick size and all hardware needed:
P1020049-L.jpg

The 24 ga pigtails have to be soldered to the switch:
P1020050-L.jpg

You need to drill and tap a hole for the setscrew that secures the grip to the stick:
CTT_4664-L.jpg

CTT_4665-L.jpg

You can certainly use the PTT switches that come in the kit and grips from a bicycle shop; I did that initially but had intermittent issues with one of my switches and I was always getting my trousers caught on the switches sticking up when getting in and out of the plane. These are better.

Last edited:
I used the same grips as Tony but I installed the soft rubber opposite from what's shown. Just my preference for feel. I like sliding my hand down on the stick.

Anybody use the Tosten CS-8 grip.....looks like a possibility. About time to make the plunge.

I installed the Tosten grips and love them. I use all of the switches except the side top hat.

tostengrips install.jpg

tosten grip1.jpg

I did have to shorten the sticks and grind a little of the insert on the Tosten grip. Contact Kevin at Tosten, he has the correct size for the RV12.

Last edited:
When I hand fly I usually end up with just my thumb and two fingers on the stick below the grip as my wrist rests on my thigh. That expensive grip is just for takeoff, landing and push-to-talk!

Tosten CS-2 grips, I didn't want any relay decks just a PTT. I wasn't sold on the Tosten grips but bought a used one on VAF to try. I've flown the infinity, Ray Allen, bicycle grips, wood grips, yokes etc. I'm usually re-arranging my grip with a modified 2 finger hold to a full hand hold.
I only have 12 hours on the Tosten grips and was just thinking the other day that I haven't thought a bit about how they felt. I don't even really notice that they are there and just grab them how they are meant to be grabbed. I'm finding the best parts of my airplane are the things I don't notice.
Installation was easy, I did add 2 extra screws to make sure they didn't depart the stick.
EDD01A26-88CE-4DA3-ADCA-BBD8BFB7B33F-4845-0000070FF9DC30F6_zpsdb62ab64.jpg

Tosten

Plus one for Tosten. Trim on the cooley hat , flaps on the two adjacent switches, and push to talk on index finger switch. No relays required for lower power draws as they are built in. I did use relay cb for flaps.

We also used the G101.
Because the solder terminals are so close the ID of the stick grip when it is pushed on all the way, it would short out and activate the push to talk. An easy fix is to extend the black sleeve shown in this picture up by 1/4", then drill the hole. It works perfect now.

The Ray Allen G101, the PTT switch "works a treat" (as our friend in Scotland likes to say);)

You need to drill and tap a hole for the setscrew that secures the grip to the stick:
CTT_4664-L.jpg

Stick Grips RV12

We used the Tosten grips with the top hat for trim.
Really need to be careful the Hat switch is vey easy to bump unintended.

I installed the Tosten grips and love them. I use all of the switches except the side top hat.

tostengrips install.jpg

tosten grip1.jpg

I did have to shorten the sticks and grind a little of the insert on the Tosten grip. Contact Kevin at Tosten, he has the correct size for the RV12.

Thanks for the heads up...I like having all the important functions on the stick grip....and they look cool without paying hundreds of dollars.

Anybody use the Tosten CS-8 grip.....looks like a possibility. About time to make the plunge.

I switched the "bicycle grips" in my RV-6 to Tostens when I bought it. I chose Tostens for a few reasons: They were symmetrical, so equally comfortable in each hand. They had (the option of) lots of buttons, so I could do a lot with them (trim, frequency swap, etc.). They "felt" military, without looking military.

Three years later, still *very* happy with them. Would highly recommend to anyone who likes a really comfortable grip but finds the Infinity grips to be a little over the top.

To be fair, I love the feel of the Infinity grips too, and they can have even more buttons on them. But I didn't like the military look in what is otherwise a very civilian looking airplane.

Flight Grip, LLC

Did anyone use the grips from Flight Grip, LLC.? Their ad is always in the back of Kitplanes but they don't seem to have a website. I like the rocker style trim switch. Are they as good as they look?

Stewart Willoughby
6, finishing

Ray Allen G101 grips

For those of you using the G101 grips, was there anything special you needed to do to use them? My sticks have only about a 2" straight section before it starts to curve. The curve starts out gradually but is pretty pronounced by the 4" point. The folks at Ray Allen say they normally require about a 4 1/2" straight tube.

I assume your sticks are the same as everybody else's? I just put them on and they fit fine on mine.

Yeah, as far as I know, mine are like all the others - straight from Van's. The grips must be flexible enough to handle the curve. Like them?

I'm happy with them. Flew a Sportstar recently that had the same grips and they felt fine. Better than bike grips, and they have a good PTT button. I've got a bike grip on the flap handle and that works well there too.

Flight Grips

Did anyone use the grips from Flight Grip, LLC.? Their ad is always in the back of Kitplanes but they don't seem to have a website. I like the rocker style trim switch. Are they as good as they look?

Stewart Willoughby
6, finishing

I have a pair of these. 2.5 hours into phase one, so limited experience. Configured with the double trigger switch for PTT and A/P disconnect on both sticks. Trim in panel for simplicity. Robust. Doesn't snag clothing. At installation I thought the corners of the rocker switch were too square, but it doesn't feel like a problem in the air. Ask me again in a month.
- Roger

I installed Tosten CS-8's

Be careful of the two buttons on the top. I had them connected to flip/flop and radio change and wound up disconnecting them after numerous accidental button engagements. For me they were actually dangerous because of the inadvertant radio loss--a few times in the pattern.
The problems were my own clumsy fault, I'm sure, and since I didn't need all that functionality, disconnecting them was no big deal. Otherwise, I love the grips. The trim control via the hat switch is great.

Super light stick grip

Here is a stick grip solution for all who are happy with only a PTT switch, like me. It is very cheap and ultra light, yet stylish and makes servicing the cheapo PTT easy.
- Grip: PROCRAFT foam Superlite P/N 11307530
- Plug: KAPSO GPN-320 22mm diameter

14v1bn5.jpg

Flight Grip are excellent, I've done about 8,000 hours hanging onto one of those crop dusting. The ledge on the bottom gives good hand support and there is room to fit more buttons/switches.
They are a real workmans grip. In saying that their functionality probably detracts from their aesthetics.

Stick grip

Ray Allens here. PTT and trim and after reading this thread think i will put the auto pilot disconnect on there saving some panel space.

Tosten CS-8 grip

I bought two of these and wired both sides all 8 buttons. They fit well. I haven't finished the airplane, so I can't comment on the use, but I can say they feel good in the hand and look great.

IMHO, I do not think it wise to put a big heavy military stick grip at the top of an LSA's stick. In turbulence, that heavy grip could create quite a pendulum effect. More work and wear for you and your autopilot. YMMV

I bought two of these and wired both sides all 8 buttons. They fit well. I haven't finished the airplane, so I can't comment on the use, but I can say they feel good in the hand and look great.

Just make sure the right stick is easily removable... or you'll regret it when it comes time to work under the panel.

I'm curious as to what those 8 switches are controlling. After PTT and trim I'm a bit stumped. Auto pilot disconnect I guess. What else?
Cheers
DaveH

Just make sure the right stick is easily removable... or you'll regret it when it comes time to work under the panel.

Hey Bro, great advise for the side-by-sides with removable sticks, but this one is for a -12. The right stick is not removable.

BTW. I put the most basic Tosten grips in the -12 I built and really liked them. The only switch I used was for PTT.

I'm curious as to what those 8 switches are controlling. After PTT and trim I'm a bit stumped. Auto pilot disconnect I guess. What else?
Cheers
DaveH

You have to be able to choose between "fleshettes", HE rockets or 30 mm in the stores pod on the -12. Also, switch radar sighting functions!!!

I haven't wired all of mine yet, but have planned to wire transponder Ident, and two for controlling the COM radio frequency... One to cycle through the standby frequencies, the other to swap to active.

Could also wire one as a momentary button that toggles a relay to turn on/off your smoke system...

Mine is an Infinity grip, wired as follows:

PTT
4 way hat switch for trim
Starter (when oil pressure is present this is disabled)
Flaps (momentary down, switch up)
Annunciator Acknowledge
AP disconnect

100 + hours on it and I wouldn't change a thing.

Stick%20Grip.jpg

Cheers
DaveH

For my CS-8's, I am doing:
PTT
Trim top hat (has four of the eight) pitch and roll trim
COM swap (standby/active)
AP disconnect

For the 8th, I was going to do LDG Light Wi-Wag, but with the VP-X system, I have that programmed, so I have an open switch. I liked the idea of missile launchers, but with the RV-12 weight limitations, I'll probably pass. Maybe gun camera? Seriously though, I'll probably use it for IDENT, but Acknowledge is a great idea that I'll have to ponder.

CS-8s

Pitch/Roll on the top hat
Rudder trim left and right rear buttons
PTT (trigger switch)
AP disconnect (forward button)

For my CS-8's, I am doing:
PTT
Trim top hat (has four of the eight) pitch and roll trim
COM swap (standby/active)
AP disconnect

Thanks for that. One further question. What is involved in setting up electric roll trim on an RV12?
Ever curious,
DaveH

Roll Trim

Ok, so some folks will likely just use the spring mounted manual roll deal, but I decided to go with the RV-4/6 aileron trim kit (PN# EA-KIT) as I already had a Ray Allen trim servo on hand. Install the servo in the flaperon with trim tab (I chose mid-span, but YMMV). And that's how I roll (trim) on my RV-12...with the usual disclaimers that I'm building E-AB, meaning it's called experimental for a reason... :D

Last edited:
Back