What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Airports that allow camping

n250jg

I remember seeing someone's post a few days ago that mentioned a website that allowed you to search for airports with camping facilities... anyone know what website that was? I thought it was Airnav.com but can't find that search criteria anywhere.

If no one knows what the website is, can anyone recommend something within a couple hours (~400 miles) of Houston? I also tried Doug's AircraftCamping.com, but there was only one airport listed for TX. Just looking for something to do over a weekend that's away from the city.

Thanks,

http://www.adventurepilot.com

The ones that show up are:
  • Lake Livingston State Park (00R)
  • Tishomingo Airpark Airport (OF9)
  • Lake Murray State Park (1F1)
  • Davy Crockett National Forest (33R)
  • Lake Texoma State Park (F31)
  • Healdton City Lake (F32)
  • Lake Whitney State Park (F50)
  • Petit Jean State Park (MPJ)

Last edited:
I can offer a tip on what NOT to rely on. I made some extensive cross-country trips last fall with the intention of camping when possible. I relied on AOPA's Airport Directory which lists the amenities available at most public use airports. This list includes statements like, "camping available on field". Well, my experience was that this sometimes meant their was a really nice grassey area to set up tents, real bathrooms (sometimes even free showers), telephones, picnic tables (sometimes covered), etc. In short, a really nice place to camp out with your plane. Sometimes, however, this notation meant, "well, I guess it isn't illegal, so go for it if you want". There were no facilities or amenities at all and, a couple of times when I hit the place late in the day and didn't want to try to find someplace better in the dark, ended up haveing a pretty unpleasant night.

John Miller

Back