What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

New product from PS Engineering, Pirep

Brantel

Well Known Member
Some of you may have seen that PS Engineering just added/released a brand new audio panel to their product lineup; the PMA450.

PMA450.jpg

A little over 6 months ago I was contacted by Mark Scheuer, founder of PS Engineering and he was excited about a new product they were developing and since I am somewhat local to their facility, he asked me if I would be interested in stopping by and taking a look at what they were doing and to offer some feedback that may influence their end product.

A little over a week after my surgery I was scheduled to be in the West Knoxville area for a surgeon followup and I was ready to get out of the house so I told Mark, heck yeah! So with a stack of legal forms filled with all sorts of official sounding mumbo jumbo in hand my wife and I met Mark at his office and was given a grand tour of his manufacturing facility. You see PS Engineering may be a small company but there is a lot of high tech going on behind those walls. I doubt most people that live in the area have a clue that such a company exist in such an unassuming area/building.

es2b2c.png

Mark is a very energetic personality that is obviously totally engrossed and passionate about what he does for a living. He ushered us around his facility showing us the design, receiving, assembly, testing, shipping, and service areas and introduced us to many of his employees some of which have been with him for a long time. I was most impressed with the assembly area which was filled with a room full of highly automated pick and place PCB assembly machines. My heart was with the folks in the testing and service area however as they were the ones with benches full of test gear, scopes and such that will always have a special place in my background.

At this point the show and tell was over and Mark gets all serious and politely asked my wife to split off from us and wait in the lobby. I was then taken over to another building where I was introduced to additional members of PS Engineering's skunk works. I then was told what they were working on and was all excited to see the prototype when Mark told me that the design only existed virtually and that on that day he will be having me to interact with a software simulator.

I thought that was different but OK. Mark then sat me down in his chair behind his desk and fired up the simulator. While him and several of his crew watched, I was asked to interact with this virtual copy of their new product. At first it was a little intimidating having all these guys standing over me watching me hunt and peck, clicking around on the unit. Mark explained that the purpose of this test was to see how well they had done designing the new user interface. Apparently their goal was to make it so simple that a pilot could install it and start using it right out of the box with little to no user manual required. After about a minute of clicking around discovering how it worked, I was in full evaluation mode interacting with the designers and offering suggestions. It must have gone well because we continued for about 30-40 minutes exploring all the unit had to offer and Mark was taking notes. Toward the end of our meeting, Mark explained that prototype boards were due in soon and that they would consider the results of that day's testing and comments and that he would be in touch with me soon.

Fast forward a few weeks and Mark contacts me to let me know he had a prototype for me to test. Mark wanted to fly it over to me as soon as possible so that I could give it a good test drive. Mark did just that, he flew his airplane over to my airport with one of the prototypes in hand. Mark had told me that the new unit was compatible with my existing tray and wiring. However I was a little nervous about that and hoped no smoke would escape when I turned on the panel. My fears were soon relieved when I did flip the switch and everything worked as expected. Mark explained that many of the suggestions I had made while at his office made it into this initial prototype. That was exciting to hear! We quickly went thru the basics of the new unit and Mark left me with it to test in actual conditions.

I will spare you all the details that transpired between then and the public product announcement but I would like to share a few things. Mark and his team are some of the most receptive folks I have ever met when it comes to receiving critical feedback about their product. I am a tell it like it is guy and when I noticed something that was not right or could be improved, Mark would take the feedback, go straight back to his folks and soon I would see a new unit ready for testing. Mark made many trips back and forth with his airplane picking up and dropping off prototypes. He was very adamant about making the new unit as perfect as possible. I was in shock most of the time that he would go thru such effort just for a minor tweak or suggestion. Once the weather was bad after I discovered some noise issues when dimming my 3 screen G3X system. Mark shows up in his car with 2 other engineers and a pile of test equipment. Here is a shot of what took place that day:

j79eo1.png

Needless to say, they gathered the data they needed and a few days later I had another prototype in hand with the issue completely resolved. After a few more exchanges similar to this, I started running out of suggestions and was running low on issues to resolve. Mark informed me that they were deep in the process of obtaining the TSO for the unit and that I would have a "production quality" prototype soon. Soon thereafter Mark delivered on his promise and a new unit was delivered with a real molded faceplace that fit like a glove into my panel.

I was going to give a big spill on how the user interface works on this new unit but PS Engineering took it a step further and created a simulator you can download to get a feel for how the unit works and how easy it is to interact with and configure:

http://www.ps-engineering.com/Apps/PMA450.exe

Something new to the PS Engineering products is the introduction of their "IntelliAudio True Dimensional Sound" which apparently was developed under license from technology invented for use by fighter pilots and the AirForce. I had never used any type of system like this but it works very well with today's sophisticated panels that typically include multiple COM radios and other audio sources that we must decipher and understand all at the same time. Here is a diagram of the basics of this technology:

2vv9jsy.png

PS Engineering was made famous by their IntelliVox automatic intercom squelch technology and many pilots know and love this feature. This technology is also included with the PMA450 and my understanding is it has been improved even over their PMA8000 series.

The new user interface is super simple with very nice knobs and buttons that give the user great feedback/touch and feel. The backlit monochrome screen is easy to see in all lighting conditions and is end user adjustable for brightness and contrast. The unit sports a photocell for automatic dimming and also has a dimmer circuit input that can control the knob/button backlighting.

Last edited:
Part 2

A few more highlights...

• Easy Pilot Configuration – No Computer
  • Audio panel setting at a glance
  • Advanced features one key stroke away
  • Fewer Buttons – More Functionality
  • Pending TSO certification for those that need it
  • Version available with or without the marker beacon receiver/indicators
  • Built in Bluetooth for music and full feature/full duplex phone calls
  • Built in USB charging port for portable devices
  • Plug n Play compatible with the PMA8000 series and others including different brands
  • User configurable ability to rename switched inputs to whatever you prefer
  • Monitor function for dual com installs allowing monitoring of one com while listening to another
  • Split COM mode allows the pilot and co-pilot to xmit on different radio's at the same time
  • Digital recorder that is so good that they added an indicator so you know it is playing back the recording

This is not a complete list by far but I don't want to recreate the spec sheet which can be found here:
http://www.ps-engineering.com/PMA450.shtml

My impressions are that this is a very nice top of the line audio panel. I told Mark that it may be a bit of overkill for the typical RV builder but there is not much that this unit cannot deliver on. The audio quality is amazing and the advanced features like the Intelliaudio and IntelliVox work very well. The unit has clearly been designed with a ton of overhead in the circuitry because the audio has a bunch of depth and power available that is not typically found in these devices. It works well even in the noisy RV cockpit environment. I am equally impressed with the new user interface and the tactical look and feel of the buttons and knobs. The interface is easy to figure out, configurable by the end user and works very well.

A few gripes are:

No single button/instant way to turn off the music in a hurry
No end user configuration of the Radio Active Mute (RAM) which eliminates unwanted background noise

So there you have my Pirep. If you have any questions please feel free to ask...You can see the unit in my plane at Osh or at the PS Engineering booth. It has been an honor and privilege to work with Mark and his team. They truly are passionate about their part of the GA market! Mark is one of the nicest geniuses that you will ever meet!

Disclaimer: This Pirep details my own experience working with PS Engineering and evaluating their product. Everyone must make up their own mind as to the value of any product and each individuals experience may vary. My relationship with PS Engineering has been in the role of providing feedback and for real world testing of their prototype and developing a great friendship with Mark and his team of folks. In exchange for helping them out, PS Engineering has provided me with a production quality unit in order for me to continue to test and provide feedback in the future. No other compensation or consideration has been provided.

Last edited:
PMA450 and Brantel's Review

Wow Brian, thank you for taking the time for posting your experience with my team. I am humbled by your comments and appreciate the opportunity to work with you. Your input both from a user interface standpoint and from a hardware perspective helped the PMA450 to take shape.

Today we got a call from the Systems Engineer at the FAA, and after answering a few questions, he told us that he is completed with his work and is now passing the letter of TSO for signatures. Huge! If all goes well, we will have TSOA by end of this week.

Your avionics (and aircraft) are amazing and I enjoyed watching, first hand, change from your original design (very good) to your latest revision (excellent). I'm proud to know that you will be flying behind our audio panel.

The last fix that we made was in response to a key click issue that you found. Apparently the length of the GTN650 "clicks" that are made when you press the touch screen, was not being heard properly. Because the architecture we implemented in the hardware, we were sampling those inputs 25mSec. This timing did not allow for consistent passing of the key click audio.

Our engineer then took a different approach. He rearranged the way these signals were handled and now there is virtually zero delay in the unswitched audio signals. No more missing key clicks! This was a great find because of the popularity of the GTN series as well as other pieces of avionics that have short audio pulses used for alerts or feedback.

One of many of the "real world" items we might not have caught had it not been for your willingness to help us get this audio panel as good as it can be.

Thanks again for helping shape our new product.

Sincerely,

Big day today, we received TSO on the PMA450, shipments to begin On Monday, July 28th; opening day of Airventure 2014!

Other PS panels?

Based on this comment :
The last fix that we made was in response to a key click issue that you found. Apparently the length of the GTN650 "clicks" that are made when you press the touch screen, was not being heard properly. Because the architecture we implemented in the hardware, we were sampling those inputs 25mSec. This timing did not allow for consistent passing of the key click audio.

Is a similar change planned for our existing panels to work correctly with our 650's ?

So, does it slide right into a PMA8000 tray? I could be enticed to upgrade.

I presume, shipping on 7/28, means you'll have some for sale at OSH?

PMA450

Based on this comment :

Is a similar change planned for our existing panels to work correctly with our 650's ?

None of our other products ever exhibited this issue because they were all analog inputs! The PMA450 has more digital signal processing.

Admittedly, we never considered a 25mSec audio pulse would be a valid signal but with "key clicks" now being prevalent, these signals had to be passed unabated. Brian is our hero for finding this potential issue for us.

The PMA450 is the most vetted product we have ever introduced. Because our track record of shipping great products and because this was the most technically challenging audio panel we have ever embarked on, we did NOT want to have customers find ANY issues with the operation of the panel.

I believe we have obtained that goal.

So, does it slide right into a PMA8000 tray? I could be enticed to upgrade.

I presume, shipping on 7/28, means you'll have some for sale at OSH?

Scott,

Yep, it does slide right in. Mark will have to answer the second question...

Check out the April 2015 edition of Kitplanes to see a review Paul did on the latest experimental product from PS Engineering. It looks to be a more experimental focused product that clearly gets its genes from the PMA450.

It fixes one of my original gripes with the PMA450: No single button/instant way to turn off the music in a hurry.

PDA360EX-560x117.jpg

Last edited:
Check out the April 2015 edition of Kitplanes to see a review Paul did on the latest experimental product from PS Engineering. It looks to be a more experimental focused product that clearly gets its genes from the PMA450.

It fixes one of my original gripes with the PMA450: No single button/instant way to turn off the music in a hurry.

PDA360EX-560x117.jpg

A very welcome addition to a great product. I still love my PMA450. My only gripe is the intercom cuts out after 1 second while I'm singing in karaoke mode.. I still sound great though :)

I didn't see it specifically in the PDA360EX installation documentation so I hope this isn't out of place ...

Does the PDA360EX use high density DSub connectors or standard?

You can probably guess my preference :)

I didn't see it specifically in the PDA360EX installation documentation so I hope this isn't out of place ...

Does the PDA360EX use high density DSub connectors or standard?

You can probably guess my preference :)

Like the PMA450, the PDA360EX is plug and play compatible with many familiar audio panels.

It uses high density connectors to maintain that compatibility.

Jerry, please call me Monday and we will ship a warranty exchange immediately. The first few limited production run did not have the perfected version of our IntelliVox. We caught it immediately after Oshkosh! We'll get you fixed up!

865-988-9800

Thanks Jerry!

Service above and beyond.

Jerry, please call me Monday and we will ship a warranty exchange immediately. The first few limited production run did not have the perfected version of our IntelliVox. We caught it immediately after Oshkosh! We'll get you fixed up!

865-988-9800

Thanks Jerry!

Now this is service!!

Mark reached out to me based on a post on the VAF site here.

Thanks Mark.

Back