What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Non-RV first flight report

sprucemoose

Well Known Member
This is not a report of an RV first flight but Doug has given it his blessing. After nearly nine years, thousands of hours and a few cubic kilodollars, my RLU-1 project, more commonly known as a Breezy, took to the air on Saturday Aug. 26. This airplane is about as far as one can get from an RV, but it is tremendously fun in a low-and-slow, totally impractical kind of way.

The Breezy is a completely scratch-built tube and fabric job. Even the old-school RV builders (like me) would be surprised at the lack of documentation. The entire build manual takes up 1/2 of a drawing page, with the list of materials taking the other half. There are no wing drawings included- the plans mention that the original used PA-12 wings, and from there it is left to the builder. I ended up building a set of wood Cub wings from the Wag-Aero Sportsman 2+2 plans. Covering and paint is Stewart Systems, and I am a big fan of that system after using it. Powerplant is a Continental O-200 from a wrecked homebuilt that I overhauled with Lycon 9:1 pistons, a C90 cam and electronic ignition. My running joke is that this will be the first O-200 in history to actually make 100HP. Prop is an Ed Sterba. My RV-6 started life with a Sterba prop and he is still in the business making great props.

ogb.jpg

I tried my hand at video editing and put together this video of the build and first flight. It's about 15 minutes.

https://youtu.be/sa3mx3gzQGY

For the purists- there is an RV-12 holding short for me while landing, and you can see my -6 at the end, so it is sort of RV-related.

Breezy

I owned one back in 1982 - what a blast to fly.

Try going up to 5000' sometime, dangling your feet over the edge and looking down - pretty sobering!

Good on ya!

HFS

I want to know who the young-looking guy was that started the project! ;)

Seriously - Congrats Jeff - looks like a really fun way to fly!

Great job on the completion, Jeff! The O-200 sounds strong.

But I don't think I have the nerve to be a Breezy pilot (or passenger??), the Legal Eagle was about as 'open-air' as I care to pursue. :)

Congrats, Jeff!! That's a great photo, too. The first time I ever manipulated the controls of an airplane in flight, I was about 10 years old in the back seat of a Breezy. I will never forget it. :D

Looks Very Cool

I mean that literally looks like it would be nice and cool to fly after a hot day at work.

My earliest recollections of the Breezy are from when it was the cover photo of Popular Science or Popular Mechanics magazine, likely in the 70's.

If you have not spent enough quite enough $ yet, try a set of Aerocet floats and perhaps an IO 360 might be needed. I have often wondered if the Air Cam was inspired by the Breezy.

That is an outstanding presentation of several years of work that went towards completion of your Breezy.

I rode in the back seat of some open air contraption like that some years ago - everyone should experience what it is like to be airborne but not have an airplane around you!

Jeff - that might require some electrically heated clothing for January flying here...

Great job on the completion, Jeff! The O-200 sounds strong.
Thanks Sam. The Lycon pistons and C90 cam make it really perform. I get 2600 static and about that on climb but can throttle way back for a comfortable cruising speed of 65-70. Ed Sterba nailed it on the prop.

Fantastic! Congratulations! Super video.
Rode on the back of a Breezy in the late 70s in the Miami area.......
Still a fresh memory after 40 years.
Lorne

The Breezy has been on my Must-Experience list for a LONG time. Hopefully it will happen someday... maybe when my RV-8 is done, I can trade rides with someone.

Congrats!

Congrats on your accomplishment. Us RV builders have got it made compared to you scratch builders.

I remember seeing a Breezy at my home airport back in the late 70's IIRC. I'm pretty sure it was based there. That guy put an ah-oo-ga horn on it that he would honk in flight.

Is that ballast in the rear seat? Do you need ballast when you fly a Breezy solo?

That is ballast- 120 lbs worth. It is not needed but for the first flight I wanted to get the CG close to the middle of the range. I will expand the CG envelope slowly during phase 1 testing.

The Breezy is an unusual tandem design in that a rear seat passenger moves the CG forward, not aft.

breezy

Jeff, Excellent job on every phase of your project from beginning to first flight to the video. All are first class. Also very glad the chute was used for back cushion only. Hope to see it in the air this fall. Ron

Back