What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GTN625 annunciators

az_gila

Well Known Member
First, I am not IFR rated but do want my RV-10 panel to be IFR capable for others, so excuse the dumb questions. :)

As I read the GTN manuals, the Aerosport dual 10 inch EFIS panel with a separate radio stack will not meet the Field of View STC requirements.

teninchpanel.jpg

So the GTN manual requires these annunciators within the field of view.

The external GPS Navigation annunciator unit must contain, at a minimum, the following annunciations:
? INTEG, INTG or LOI
? TERM
? APR
? MSG
? WPT

The HSI display will be on a Dynon Skyview so I think the GPS/VOR source will be displayed if the 625 is upgraded to a 650. I'm also assuming the Skyview does not display these other listed annunciator indicators. Is that correct?

Looking at commercial units, it appears that TERM/APR should be yellow/amber and INTG/MSG/WPT should be green.

Sounds an easy job for 5 LED indicators and a push-to-test button assembly on the panel - as shown in Steve Melton's 3D printing thread.

Does anyone see any problem with simply adding the 5 LED indicators to the pilots view?

First if all, you don?t have to install it per the STC because your plane doesn?t have a TC. With this in mind, you can do just about whatever you feel is best.

Gil,
I installed the exact panel in my 10 and located the 625 in that center section and have zero issues with it's field of view. That center section is canted to the left for better visibility.

First if all, you don’t have to install it per the STC because your plane doesn’t have a TC. With this in mind, you can do just about whatever you feel is best.

I know, but shouldn't it be installed per the manufacturer's instructions?

The acceptable vertical field-of-view includes the area from the top of the instrument panel to the portion of the instrument panel that is immediately below the basic ‘T’ instruments. For an IFR-approved GPS installation, either (i) the GTN unit must be located within the ±35° horizontal acceptable field-of-view or (ii) source selection and GPS annunciations are required to be installed. If the GTN unit is installed between ±30° and ±35°, at a minimum, source selection annunciation must be installed. Note that Figure 2-15, Figure 2-16, and Figure 2-17 show a GTN 7XX. The dimensions shown in these drawings are also applicable to the GTN 6XX. If the GTN is installed within ±30°, no external annunciations are required.

This paragraph seems to define what an "IFR-approved" GPS installation is.

If it doesn't need to be per the instructions, why not drop the GTN and use the Dynon info for IFR? :rolleyes:

What actually makes a GTN legal for EAB IFR?

Last edited:
Put the GTN-625/650 in the middle. The 650 or 625 screens are small so you tend not to use them much, but when you are punching in the last fightplan change from ATC having it closer is a big help. The photo shows how high you can mount the GTN and avoid hitting the center brace.

I did a lot of flying with the left screen turned off and from the right seat to make sure this EFIS setup supported. I found this configuration to work well.

Note - I tell a lot of builders to assume they will find reason to change the panel more than once. The first panel lasted 18 months. This second panel has been modified twice after this photo was taken. For me a new panel is little more than a $26 replacement part from Van's, time cutting holes and paint.

Carl

3-8-14_replacement_panel.jpg

I know, but shouldn't it be installed per the manufacturer's instructions?

The acceptable vertical field-of-view includes the area from the top of the instrument panel to the portion of the instrument panel that is immediately below the basic ?T? instruments. For an IFR-approved GPS installation, either (i) the GTN unit must be located within the ?35? horizontal acceptable field-of-view or (ii) source selection and GPS annunciations are required to be installed. If the GTN unit is installed between ?30? and ?35?, at a minimum, source selection annunciation must be installed. Note that Figure 2-15, Figure 2-16, and Figure 2-17 show a GTN 7XX. The dimensions shown in these drawings are also applicable to the GTN 6XX. If the GTN is installed within ?30?, no external annunciations are required.

This paragraph seems to define what an "IFR-approved" GPS installation is.

If it doesn't need to be per the instructions, why not drop the GTN and use the Dynon info for IFR? :rolleyes:

You omitted the prevision Section in the manual:

The GTN unit should be mounted in the avionics stack in the aircraft instrument panel within view and reach of the pilot. The primary unit location should minimize pilot head movement when transitioning between looking outside of the cockpit and viewing or operating the GTN. The location should be such that the GTN unit is not blocked by the glare shield on top, or by the engine controls, control yoke, etc. on the bottom. If the aircraft has a throw-over yoke, ensure that it does not interfere with the GTN.

For VFR-only installations, the GTN unit must be mounted in the aircraft manufacturer?s approved location or other FAA approved location. A CDI/HSI is necessary for installations using VOR/ILS information. If a CDI/HSI is installed, a proper source selection annunciation must be used.

For IFR GPS installations the GTN unit must be mounted in the aircraft manufacturer?s approved location or other FAA approved location, and the required CDI/HSI must be mounted in the primary field of view. CDI/HSI navigation source selection annunciation must be on or near the affected display and any additional annunciations must be mounted within the normal field-of-view.

The source selection annunciation displayed on the GTN must be within 13.9 inches of pilot view centerline. If the CDI is to the left or right of centerline, it must favor the same side as the GTN placement (i.e. typically the radio stack is on the right of the pilot?s view centerline, so the CDI should be on the right side of the basic primary flight instruments). A CDI/HSI with a built-in annunciation may be used in lieu of a separate external annunciator to satisfy the source selection annunciation requirement. In addition, required GPS navigation annunciations (reference Section 2.5.10.1.3) must be within 16.8 inches of the pilot view centerline. If the GTN display is within this area, then no external GPS navigation annunciations are required.

The GTN may be installed outside the acceptable view parameters if it is used as a redundant or secondary navigation device. Example: The GTN may be installed to the right of a center radio stack, when two columns of avionics are available. This places the unit too far from the pilot?s normal scan. As such, IFR flights may not originate or be predicated on this unit unless the primary system has failed.

If a GNS 400W/500W is installed concurrently with a GTN 6XX/7XX, it is recommended that the GTN be mounted in the #1 position relative to the GNS in a GTN/GNS installation. In a typical radio stack, this would be above the GNS. This recommendation is only applicable if the GTN-GNS crossfill function is utilized in the installation.

FP30112013A00017.jpg

Your photos shows AFS, but your text states Skyview.

My panel is very similar to your photos. This is one of the reasons that I use the right screen as my PFD. It minimizes my scan and its easy to monitor both the PFD and GPS without head movement. Since the PFD is also within the range limit, it also meets the requirement for a remote annunciator. There are quite a flew folks flying IFR in this configuration.

Gil, you used the wrong acronym. It?s not ?STC?, but ?TSO?. The FARs say irf gps equipment must be approved, and one way, but not necessarily the only way, is to use TSO?d equipment. It?s the TSO?d installation manual that you are referring to.
By the way, there is a valid reason for this ?within normal scan? rule. The other day I was right seat in a GTN equipped 172, when the pilot noticed the glide slope wasn?t working. I pointed out to him that the green ?LPV? indication had degraded to a yellow ?LNAV?. You want to be able to see these things, they do happen.

First, I am not IFR rated but do want my RV-10 panel to be IFR capable for others, so excuse the dumb questions. :)

As I read the GTN manuals, the Aerosport dual 10 inch EFIS panel with a separate radio stack will not meet the Field of View STC requirements.

teninchpanel.jpg

So the GTN manual requires these annunciators within the field of view.

The external GPS Navigation annunciator unit must contain, at a minimum, the following annunciations:
• INTEG, INTG or LOI
• TERM
• APR
• MSG
• WPT

The HSI display will be on a Dynon Skyview so I think the GPS/VOR source will be displayed if the 625 is upgraded to a 650. I'm also assuming the Skyview does not display these other listed annunciator indicators. Is that correct?

Looking at commercial units, it appears that TERM/APR should be yellow/amber and INTG/MSG/WPT should be green.

Sounds an easy job for 5 LED indicators and a push-to-test button assembly on the panel - as shown in Steve Melton's 3D printing thread.

Does anyone see any problem with simply adding the 5 LED indicators to the pilots view?

Thats what I did on my 6, though no test button as these are redundant indicators. Don't know if it was required, but like the extra annunciation. Used 12 V LEDs and tied them into the panel dimmer feed. The garmin sinks the grounds, like most illuminators on the panel.

Larry

I beieve it is opposite of what you posted and integ should be red, though I suppose amber is adequate.

It needs to be ?approved?. For a TSO?d system, approval is pretty much implicit in the TSO. For a non-TSOd system, you need to get the FSDO?s approval. 5 years ago, I?d have said that approval for a non-TSO?d system would never happen. But I?d have also said that you?d never see a non-TSOd D10 or G5 used as a direct replacement for an AI in a type certificated airplane. So perhaps there is hope.
On a related note, GRT is quietly beta testing gps approach capability using its $500 non-TSOd gps and its HX and HXr EFIS units. They are currently for use in vfr only. But clearly they?re hoping to follow in the D10/G5 footsteps.

Gil, you used the wrong acronym. It?s not ?STC?, but ?TSO?. The FARs say irf gps equipment must be approved, and one way, but not necessarily the only way, is to use TSO?d equipment. It?s the TSO?d installation manual that you are referring to.
By the way, there is a valid reason for this ?within normal scan? rule. The other day I was right seat in a GTN equipped 172, when the pilot noticed the glide slope wasn?t working. I pointed out to him that the green ?LPV? indication had degraded to a yellow ?LNAV?. You want to be able to see these things, they do happen.

Yes, thanks for the acronym correction.

But, my original point is that it must meet the Installation Manual to retain the TSO. That is correct isn't it?

And also yes, being in the preferred field of view does make sense.

Yes. The TSO is only valid if installed iaw the approved installation manual. This is an area where, if we know it or not, a lot of us are reverting to the alternate approval methods: the approved manual calls for the use of approved CDI indicators. A lot of us use non-TSOd and not mentioned in the manual EFIS displays for our CDI, and rely on the manfacturer’s statement that it meets the performance standards (indicates fly left when the box commands ‘fly left’?) of the TSO for a CDI.

You omitted the prevision Section in the manual:

The GTN unit should be mounted in the avionics stack in the aircraft instrument panel within view and reach of the pilot. The primary unit location should minimize pilot head movement when transitioning between looking outside of the cockpit and viewing or operating the GTN. The location should be such that the GTN unit is not blocked by the glare shield on top, or by the engine controls, control yoke, etc. on the bottom. If the aircraft has a throw-over yoke, ensure that it does not interfere with the GTN.

For VFR-only installations, the GTN unit must be mounted in the aircraft manufacturer’s approved location or other FAA approved location. A CDI/HSI is necessary for installations using VOR/ILS information. If a CDI/HSI is installed, a proper source selection annunciation must be used.

For IFR GPS installations the GTN unit must be mounted in the aircraft manufacturer’s approved location or other FAA approved location, and the required CDI/HSI must be mounted in the primary field of view. CDI/HSI navigation source selection annunciation must be on or near the affected display and any additional annunciations must be mounted within the normal field-of-view.

The source selection annunciation displayed on the GTN must be within 13.9 inches of pilot view centerline. If the CDI is to the left or right of centerline, it must favor the same side as the GTN placement (i.e. typically the radio stack is on the right of the pilot’s view centerline, so the CDI should be on the right side of the basic primary flight instruments). A CDI/HSI with a built-in annunciation may be used in lieu of a separate external annunciator to satisfy the source selection annunciation requirement. In addition, required GPS navigation annunciations (reference Section 2.5.10.1.3) must be within 16.8 inches of the pilot view centerline. If the GTN display is within this area, then no external GPS navigation annunciations are required.

The GTN may be installed outside the acceptable view parameters if it is used as a redundant or secondary navigation device. Example: The GTN may be installed to the right of a center radio stack, when two columns of avionics are available. This places the unit too far from the pilot’s normal scan. As such, IFR flights may not originate or be predicated on this unit unless the primary system has failed.

If a GNS 400W/500W is installed concurrently with a GTN 6XX/7XX, it is recommended that the GTN be mounted in the #1 position relative to the GNS in a GTN/GNS installation. In a typical radio stack, this would be above the GNS. This recommendation is only applicable if the GTN-GNS crossfill function is utilized in the installation.

Your photos shows AFS, but your text states Skyview.

My panel is very similar to your photos. This is one of the reasons that I use the right screen as my PFD. It minimizes my scan and its easy to monitor both the PFD and GPS without head movement. Since the PFD is also within the range limit, it also meets the requirement for a remote annunciator. There are quite a flew folks flying IFR in this configuration.

Bob, sorry about the pic - I was just using a pic from the Aerosport web site to illustrate the GTN positioning. If you check from the aircraft center-line, the Aerosport version I am using is a few more inches to the right than the panel version in your pic.

At the moment I am planning a GTN-625 GPS only system so the CDI/HSI source selector problem is void.

One easy solution would be to simultaneously use dual CDI/HSI displays, one on each EFIS screen. This would meet the Garmin requirements. :)

I assume the Dynon Skyview HSI tells you the source if a -650 is used, but I don't know if it can be switched from the Dynon screen. If it can, it would meet the requirement in the paragraph you quoted. But from this paragraph, it appears the VLOC/GPS switching does not need to be in the field of view, but the display must say what the source is. I think the Skyview does this - can anyone confirm this happens through the ARINC box?

If the internal display of annunciation within the GTN unit does not meet the criteria for acceptable field-of-view as defined above, an external source selection annunciator must be integrated in the affected CDI/HSI or an additional annunciator which clearly indicates the CDI/HSI source as VLOC or GPS must be installed within 13.6 ± 0.25 inches of the view centerline.

THe source selector/annunciators are only listed as "suitable", not "required" -

C.12 CDI/HSI Source Selection Annunciators
An external CDI/HSI Source Selection Annunciation or external GPS annunciations may be required for some installations – see Section 2.4.10.1 for additional information describing when external annunciation is required. The following indicators and indicator/switches are suitable for external annunciation:

This note talks about interfaces -

Refer to Appendix C for approved third-party equipment interfaces to the GTN. If the equipment and interface selections described below are not listed in Appendix C, other FAA approval is required for that interface.

I would believe the EFIS interface (ARINC) would come under Dynon's testing for compatibility and meeting TSO specifications.

But, to my original point, there is no way the Aerosport carbon panel I pictured meets the Garmin field of view measurements.

I beieve it is opposite of what you posted and integ should be red, though I suppose amber is adequate.

Yes - sorry for the typo - I'm not really color blind. :)

This appears to define the Mid Continent colors for a GTN unit -

https://www.mcico.com/img/product/description/MD41-151XrevB_td.pdf

LOI - Amber
APR/TERM/VLOC - Green
MSG/WPT - white

MD41-1510-e1519247428518.jpg

Which is slightly different from the older -430 units -

md41-1468.jpg

MSG and WPT appear to have changed from Amber to White

The GTN manual does not seem to specify colors except for the TAWS display

Last edited:
The Skyview does let you switch between GPS and VLOC on the screen itself or via the SRC button on the AP Panel. The AFS does as well.

Yes. The TSO is only valid if installed iaw the approved installation manual. This is an area where, if we know it or not, a lot of us are reverting to the alternate approval methods: the approved manual calls for the use of approved CDI indicators. A lot of us use non-TSOd and not mentioned in the manual EFIS displays for our CDI, and rely on the manfacturer?s statement that it meets the performance standards (indicates fly left when the box commands ?fly left??) of the TSO for a CDI.

I offer that this interpretation of ?TSO Cerified Navigator? is not applicable to experimental aircraft.

The certified aspect is all about the navigator and the associated, updated database, and is specifically about GPS, not VOR, LOC or ILS. Taking this further, there is no restriction if you want to build your own VOR/LOC/ILS nav for IFR use.

The concept of ?approved CDI? is not applicable to our aircraft. It is, as with everything else we do, a responsibility of the builder to verify proper functioning during Phase I. In short, the builder does the approving.

Considering most if not all modern EFIS systems have HSI source selection and displays that selection on the EFIS itself, any old school six pack style annunciator is, in my opinion, a waste of money and valuable panel space.

Put the GTN-650 in the middle of the panel and fly on.

Carl

I offer that this interpretation of ?TSO Cerified Navigator? is not applicable to experimental aircraft.

The certified aspect is all about the navigator and the associated, updated database, and is specifically about GPS, not VOR, LOC or ILS. Taking this further, there is no restriction if you want to build your own VOR/LOC/ILS nav for IFR use.

The concept of ?approved CDI? is not applicable to our aircraft. It is, as with everything else we do, a responsibility of the builder to verify proper functioning during Phase I. In short, the builder does the approving.

Considering most if not all modern EFIS systems have HSI source selection and displays that selection on the EFIS itself, any old school six pack style annunciator is, in my opinion, a waste of money and valuable panel space.

Put the GTN-650 in the middle of the panel and fly on.

Carl

I am limited by the Aerosport carbon panel designed for two 10" EFIS sceens. :)

The GTN-625 ends up quite far to the right. As I said earlier my present plan is for no VOR/ILS system.

I am limited by the Aerosport carbon panel designed for two 10" EFIS sceens. :)

The GTN-625 ends up quite far to the right. As I said earlier my present plan is for no VOR/ILS system.

Two comments:
- No one is twisting your arm to use that panel.
- Why would you build a $200,000 IFR airplane and not have VOR/LOC/ILS capability, especially when it is so simple to do? Every real IFR approach I?ve done at a towered airport was ILS. I guess I could ask for a GPS approach but this runs against having the navigation capability for the anticipated approach.

Carl

Two comments:
- No one is twisting your arm to use that panel.
- Why would you build a $200,000 IFR airplane and not have VOR/LOC/ILS capability, especially when it is so simple to do? Every real IFR approach I?ve done at a towered airport was ILS. I guess I could ask for a GPS approach but this runs against having the navigation capability for the anticipated approach.

Carl

True, but my co-pilot isn't a pilot and I like the panel. It is already purchased and fitted.

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showpost.php?p=1252992&postcount=425

I am a VFR pilot only as stated earlier and am asking for future resale value/use as you allude to. A future change from a 625 to 650 is pretty minimal, and it appears from the comments above that simply adding 6 small labelled LED annunciators would make it pretty much legal on the Garmin field of view requirements.

That is a small addition to make to the existing panel at this time. :D

Gil,

Out of curiosity, what is the distance from the line in between your EFIS and the 625? I would have thought it should still be within the 16.8" from the centerline.

I didn't recognize the photo you share. It's been over three years ago since I lasted edited that page on Geoff's site. I'm no longer helping Geoff with the web site anymore.

I believe that panel had a short lived period of popularity. Once the new symmetrical panel came out it's popularity kind of dwindled.

bob

Gil,

Out of curiosity, what is the distance from the line in between your EFIS and the 625? I would have thought it should still be within the 16.8" from the centerline.

I didn't recognize the photo you share. It's been over three years ago since I lasted edited that page on Geoff's site. I'm no longer helping Geoff with the web site anymore.

I believe that panel had a short lived period of popularity. Once the new symmetrical panel came out it's popularity kind of dwindled.

bob

Bob,

This is the part I am referencing -

2. Measure the horizontal distance from the primary view centerline to the left or right edge of the GTN unit, as appropriate.
3. If the GTN unit is mounted to the right of the primary instruments, the internal display of annunciation within the GTN is considered to be within the acceptable field-of-view if the following criteria are met:
* The left edge of the GTN unit bezel is within 10.6 ± 0.25 inches of the primary view centerline and;
* The top edge of the GTN unit is no lower than the bottom edge of the primary flight instruments or the unit is line abreast with the affected CDI.

If the internal display of annunciation within the GTN unit does not meet the criteria for acceptable field-of-view as defined above, an external source selection annunciator must be integrated in the affected CDI/HSI or an additional annunciator which clearly indicates the CDI/HSI source as VLOC or GPS must be installed within 13.6 ± 0.25 inches of the view centerline.

I am reading it as 10.85" max from the centerline to the edge of the bezel.
If this is not met, then annunciators must be in the panel field of view or within the CDI/HSI unit.

For my -10, rough measurements only, assuming the stick is in the center of the field of view.
Stick to center of fuselage = 12"
Center of panel to left side of GTN-6xx tray = 5.25"
Total = 17.25"

Even with my rough measurements and an estimate of pilot centerline at the stick it's way over.

I chose that panel after flying my -6A with a 10" Skyview. Flying VFR I am presently planning one screen to be a full moving map only, with the other screen giving the AI/CDI and engine stuff, and perhaps a closer in map with traffic. It was a nice, big moving map I was aiming for - of course that can change after it's flying. :)

I offer that this interpretation of “TSO Cerified Navigator” is not applicable to experimental aircraft.
Carl

Not sure I agree with this Carl. My op limits state that IFR is allowed only if the airplane is equipped in accordance with 93.x.x. I have not deeply reviewed these statutes, but I suspect that there is language stating that TSO'ed equipment is required and as Bob points out, the TSO is tied to the mfg's documentation.

That said, I take this somewhat loosely and don't lose sleep over the fact that I am using a CDI (my EFIS) not outlined in the TSO.

Larry

Not sure I agree with this Carl. My op limits state that IFR is allowed only if the airplane is equipped in accordance with 93.x.x. I have not deeply reviewed these statutes, but I suspect that there is language stating that TSO'ed equipment is required and as Bob points out, the TSO is tied to the mfg's documentation.

That said, I take this somewhat loosely and don't lose sleep over the fact that I am using a CDI (my EFIS) not outlined in the TSO.

Larry

Your op limits refer to part 91.205 for requirements for IFR operations.

There is no mention of TSO'd equipment and the language is very simple. You would be surprised at how little is required.

About the only place we have to worry about TSO'd avionics for expermentals flying IFR under part 91 is in regard to transponders and GPS sources for ADS-B. The language in the FAR's for those call out specific TSO requirements.

There is no mention of TSO'd equipment and the language is very simple. You would be surprised at how little is required.
s.

OR, you?d be surprised by the way the FARs make simple things complicated. 91.205 refers to ?suitable? navigation equipment. But that?s not the end. 14CFR1.1 defines what ?suitable RNAV, including GPS? means. There follows a whole paragraph of gobbly gook, ending with saying that the FAA will tell you what is or is not suitable, in various normally non-regulatory publications. One of those publications contains the phrase I quoted earlier, that ?.. a TSO is one way, but not necessarily the only way...?, to have a suitable GPS system.

About the only place we have to worry about TSO'd avionics for expermentals flying IFR under part 91 is in regard to transponders and GPS sources for ADS-B. The language in the FAR's for those call out specific TSO requirements.

Thanks for clarifying Bob. It was good to see you at Osh by the way.

Larry

OR, you?d be surprised by the way the FARs make simple things complicated. 91.205 refers to ?suitable? navigation equipment. But that?s not the end. 14CFR1.1 defines what ?suitable RNAV, including GPS? means. There follows a whole paragraph of gobbly gook, ending with saying that the FAA will tell you what is or is not suitable, in various normally non-regulatory publications. One of those publications contains the phrase I quoted earlier, that ?.. a TSO is one way, but not necessarily the only way...?, to have a suitable GPS system.

This was more in line with what I thought.

Larry

Gil - put the annunciators directly above the screen that you will be displaying your flight instruments on. You need to clearly see if there is a message to respond to or see if indeed the approach is armed or if you have an integrity issue or whatever. Additionally if you can incorporate the susp/obs button and the nav/gps button in the same area. It will make life easier when in the clouds. Even with your navigator canted towards you in the 10 its so far away from your scan, when you are concentrating on your instruments, you will not notice what the box is indicating that you need those lights to get your attention.

Gil - put the annunciators directly above the screen that you will be displaying your flight instruments on. You need to clearly see if there is a message to respond to or see if indeed the approach is armed or if you have an integrity issue or whatever. Additionally if you can incorporate the susp/obs button and the nav/gps button in the same area. It will make life easier when in the clouds. Even with your navigator canted towards you in the 10 its so far away from your scan, when you are concentrating on your instruments, you will not notice what the box is indicating that you need those lights to get your attention.

Ted,

It looks like I am moving to exactly what you describe. I do plan the indicators to be over the left hand EFIS screen. I have a few questions though based on earlier stuff.

I presume this Skyview box will take care of source selection if the 625 is upgraded to a 650.

sv-ap-panel-h-front.jpg

And that the Dynon HDX screen will display which source is in use.

As I said earlier, I am not an IFR pilot, so could you tell me what the OBS/SUSP indicator/button does? And is it only needed for a 650? or is it applicable to the 625 as well?

The Garmin requirements do not list it as a required indicator.

Last edited:
Ted,

It looks like I am moving to exactly what you describe. I do plan the indicators to be over the left hand EFIS screen. I have a few questions though based on earlier stuff.

I presume this Skyview box will take care of source selection if the 625 is upgraded to a 650.

sv-ap-panel-h-front.jpg

And that the Dynon HDX screen will display which source is in use.

As I said earlier, I am not an IFR pilot, so could you tell me what the OBS/SUSP indicator/button does? And is it only needed for a 650? or is it applicable to the 625 as well?

The Garmin requirements do not list it as a required indicator.
Yes, you can use the SRC button to change the source as well as touching the source box on the Skyview screen. That panel also has trim relays in it that will give you auto trim functionality if you have electric trim(s).

You can switch between GPS and VLOC on the GNS or GTN either on the navigator or on the Skyview. The Skyview has a setting to autoswitch based on the navigator or not. If not, then it has two separate inputs, such as GTN GPS and GTN NAV. It cycles through with both of those options if you want it to.

Gil - I was using a 430W so some statements need to be clarified to insure compatibility with a 625 or 650 as they are similar but somewhat different. I believe the autopilot control panel SRC button will switch the source displayed on the Dynon HDX. ie: Garmin SL30, Garmin 625 or 650, Dynon internal GPS or whatever compatible navigator you wish to be displayed. The NAV/GPS switch is used to switch the Garmin navigator from outputting VOR-LOC-GS to GPS so it would not be needed for a 625 since it is GPS only. The OBS/SUSP switch is used to hold the navigator in suspend mode like in a hold or to sequence to the missed approach etc. These are just remote mounted momentary contact switches to supplement the ones on the navigator. I wanted my autopilot control panel, annunciators, and these remote switches right at hand and very close to my field of view of the primary instrument display. This saves looking away from your display for a button to push, or to see whats going on when you are in a high workload environment. Here is a picture of my setup.

2zpt4ch.jpg

This is an earlier picture before I made an annunciation/switch panel that now occupies the space where the double indicator and switch was. Additionally, in retrospect I wish that I would have moved the two Dynon switch panels further to the left towards the 10" Dynon screen. I use these panels a lot. Every time you get a frequency change you usually get a new BARO setting and also the buttons on the autopilot panel are used frequently so I wanted them close at hand. All of this is just for my convenience and how I have my panel setup, it is not a requirement. In my opinion just makes things easier. In a RV 10 with two 10" screens the radios are even further over to the right. Also I replaced the 430W with an Avidyne 440 and life is good. What an easy to use radio and it talks nicely to the Dynon stuff. No issues what so ever, super easy to program and a fantastic feature set. Especially the one that shows what the navigator is going to do next.

Last edited:
Back