Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 07-31-2018, 02:24 PM

Default GDL82 install questions

Hi All
I see itís been 7 years since last I was on this great forum. Probably about the same time I met Doug at Oshkosh.

Still flying our -9, and am going to try an fly it more, therefore we are getting the plane ads-b compliment.
Just got back from Oshkosh with my 13 year old grandson, where we purchased the GDL82. His first cross country. Almost 2000 miles round trip. (Shouldnít have been that far, but weather dictated that).

Like most things advertised, by reading some posts on the forum, Iím seeing that while installation is fairly straightforward, itís not that simple as there is some computer work to be accomplished. Not my strongest talent.

The unit has not arrived yet but I did look at the manual on line.
Install will be no problem as I built my panel and I have the proper crimpers
I have a laptop and could probably figure out how to configure the unit once installed.
Right now the questions I have are
1. How do you connect the unit to the computer, and
2. Is this configuration step necessary?

Good to be back

Thanks
Jack
Old 07-31-2018, 03:50 PM

The installation wiring includes the addition of a USB connector to the GDL82, this is where you connect the laptop. You download the configuration software to the laptop and it autodetects the 82 when you power it up. Basically you tell it your N number and configure a couple of discretes (anonymous mode, squat switch, fault light etc.) based on your specific install. It will also tell you that the GPS is working properly. Pretty straight forward.
The USB wires are very small but my normal D sub pin crimper worked fine on them.
Figs
Old 07-31-2018, 04:40 PM

Default GDL 82

I have purchased a gdl82 and would like to know if mounting the gps antenna on the glare shield of a7 slider works out ok.
Thanks
Old 07-31-2018, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uk_figs View Post
The installation wiring includes the addition of a USB connector to the GDL82, this is where you connect the laptop. You download the configuration software to the laptop and it autodetects the 82 when you power it up. Basically you tell it your N number and configure a couple of discretes (anonymous mode, squat switch, fault light etc.) based on your specific install. It will also tell you that the GPS is working properly. Pretty straight forward.
The USB wires are very small but my normal D sub pin crimper worked fine on them.
Figs
Well explained! Thanks. Making a little more sense now.
Will start install shortly after unit arrives.

At one time I had 3 GPS antennas in the plane when it had the Blue Mountain EFIS. All three antennas were mounted on the overhead beam in the baggage compartment on small ledges with the antennas looking through the plexiglass.
All units seemed to work well with the antennas so close together. I removed the Blue Mountain years ago and replaced it with a GRT unit, so I intend to put the
82ís antenna on the BM antennas old mount which is still there.
Reading the Garmin install manual it says not to have the antennas close to each other, but since the GPS antenna does not transmit, I donít see how it matters.
Appreciate any thoughts!
Jack
Old 07-31-2018, 05:38 PM

What Figs said, except you don't even need a laptop.

Old 07-31-2018, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCANAM View Post
Reading the Garmin install manual it says not to have the antennas close to each other, but since the GPS antenna does not transmit, I donít see how it matters.
Appreciate any thoughts!
Jack
Some of the antennas these days have amplifiers within them (they get dc power up the coax). They can radiate local oscillator signals. Worse, there are reports (here on VAF) that one failure mode of these amplifiers has them radiating strong signals, which can interfere with reception on near-by antennas. Other possibilities - unlikely here, I think - include the possibility that another nearby antenna on the same or nearly the same frequency can change the directional characteristics of both antennas - even though they both "just receive".
Old 07-31-2018, 06:05 PM

Just a warning but the depiction of the connector pins in the GDL-82 manual is backward when compared to the pinouts shown in other Garmin products such as the G5 and GMU-11. It is best to match the pin #'s using a magnifier to view the actual pin #'s on the HD connector.

Since the connector is a high-density DB15 the typical red-handled crimper does not work well as the pins are much smaller. You will need a Daniels crimper.

Once you get it powered up and USB connected then its just a matter of configuring a few options like N-number, stall speed, GPS input, etc.

After installation a flight test is necessary near a radar facility. A 30 minute flight at a constant altitude around the facility is all it takes to get a successful ADS-B report from the FAA.
N244BJ RV-6 "victim of SNF tornado" 1200+ hrs, rebuilding
N8155F C150 flying
N7925P PA-24-250 Comanche, restoring
Not a thing I own is stock.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobTurner View Post
Some of the antennas these days have amplifiers within them (they get dc power up the coax). They can radiate local oscillator signals. Worse, there are reports (here on VAF) that one failure mode of these amplifiers has them radiating strong signals, which can interfere with reception on near-by antennas. Other possibilities - unlikely here, I think - include the possibility that another nearby antenna on the same or nearly the same frequency can change the directional characteristics of both antennas - even though they both "just receive".
A nice article in the latest Kitplanes by Jim Weir talking about GPS antenna design. Basically, the signals received by these antennas are so weak, they have to be amplified at the antenna so the GPS receiver can detect them...measured in nanovolts...
RV-8 #81077 Super Slow Build
Titan IOX-370, Dual P-Mags, AFP FM200A FI, Sensenich GA Prop
First Flight 11/20/2016
www.marksrv8.com
Old 07-31-2018, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketbob View Post
JYou will need a Daniels crimper.
Or you can just solder those pins like I did.
Old 07-31-2018, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCANAM View Post
Appreciate any thoughts!
Jack
Hello Jack,

Thank you for choosing the GDL 82.

Certified GPS systems have many performance requirements, one of which is low angle satellite reception. The following statement in the antenna installation instructions explains why it is important to not have the GDL 82 GPS antenna too close to another antenna.

"To minimize the effects of shadowing at 5į elevation angles, the GPS antenna should be mounted no closer than 6 inches (edge to edge) from other antennas, including passive antennas such as another GPS antenna or XM antenna."

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve
Please email us for support instead of using Private Messaging due to the limitations of the latter.