What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aleutian Campaign

Vlad

Well Known Member
There is a territory with the worst weather in the world. Commercial flyers hate it. Aviation infrastructure there is minimal and modern amenities are few. This American territory was partially occupied by Japan in the Second World War. The name of the territory is the Aleutians. The fog shrouded chain of islands few know about even fewer flew over it.

I spent five years preparing for the trip. I made a couple of long runs over the years testing myself and the machine. I researched, asked, called, emailed. 90% of responders advised against going to the Islands. There is nothing to see there it's nasty and unforgiving they said. Some advisers cautioned that I might put lifes of rescuers at grave risk if I had an emergency. Two more years were spent after that for more research and I was comfortable knowing couple fishing boats working on my route that season. So I withdrew all roubles from the bank and arrived at "a base" in Alaska.

My airplane is a Day VFR RV9A. The engine is a high time stock Lycoming O-320. Wood prop on the way out but well balanced by a pro. No leading edge protection so I do my best to avoid the rain. There are basic VFR round dials on the instrument panel. I have a transponder and a radio. I navigate using compass, paper charts and an app on ipad. I don't have an onboard weather.

But what I do have is a couple dozen of good friends we know each other for years. On a long run like this a bit of help matters a lot. A tank of gas here, a bed to stay there and a meal in between go long way if you are traveling for weeks. Thank you! I might reveal your first names at the end of the story if you wish so.

Kenai PAEN

The trip starts from Kenai in two days. It's a home drome for the Cloud Chaser, a nice RV6 bought and ferried from lower 48 by Mike Bauer. Mike is an avid photographer, a skilled flyer with a wealth of knowledge on local weather and cool spots to sightsee. I need to replace lubricating oil (Mike got me a case) then we would do some local flying. Sort of Aleutian simulation.

Arriving at PAEN Kenai a good beginning. Half of the runway with zero visibility the other half is clear. Plenty of traffic tower accommodates everybody.

Cloud Chaser landed right after me.

The rest of the day was spent on light maintenance

and good food. Mike introduced me to King Crab yum. Never eaten one before.

A couple of Kassiks from local brewery and we started talking former rivalry. Mike was an Army helicopter pilot back in the Golden Days of First Cold War. Look what he got here. A deck of aircraft recognition cards.

He also makes paper models of all kind of crafts and rockets. Amazing little museum and a library in the basement where I had my futon set up.

Mike also drove me around showing the views.

Tomorrow we go flying. I expect a sort of hazing... :D

Next morning Mike towed me as a wingman to his stomping grounds. That little Cloud Chaser is fast. My old girl had to move her pistons well over 75% power.

We flew over Harding Icefield. Mike wrote about our ride here.

Then I got lost over Seward.

I was radioed and ordered to land number two.

Look at that precision touch down. Beat me by two feet.

We went on foot to explore the town and met an old buddy Tobin and his wife Jayne. Small world. They were about to board a train to Norfolk VA...

Met a local MedEvac pilot who gave away a very valuable info on Aleutian weather. He's flown those routes thank you John.

We walked back to the airplanes and took off. The Pass was locked and Mike lead me around the storms over Skilak Lake. We traced the river I got a great tour with commentary. Mike literally knows every acre of those woods.

The drill was over. I was approved to proceed further.

Last edited:
Southwest bound

Early morning on June the 11th I left hospitable Kenai southwest bound. With full belly from Carla's Kitchen and three cans of cheap avgas in the baggage compartment. Planned to make Nelson Lagoon PAOU in three hours. The fog there promised to burn. PAOU boasted having affordable 100LL. Cold Bay fuel pump was notamed inoperative.

Crossed Cook Inlet over Kalgin Island.

Mighty Redoubt volcano was quiet.

Straight ahead lies Taxedni Bay with Iliamna volcano behind it. The picturesque rock to the left is Chisik Island with multiple cabins.

It was comforting to find a fellow aviator on a beach by Chinitna Bay. We are not alone.

Iliamna.

Abeam Augustine island I turned west to cross the Peninsula toward Bristol Bay.
The weather was fantastic.

Don't read Airport/Facility directory for Kulik Lake airport. Downright scary you can't survive there.

Great Photos!

Wow, Vlad, your photos are incredible! Great Story writing too.

Don't know how many here personally know Vlad, but I can tell you he is one very interesting person and an outstanding pilot. Vans needs to make him an ambassador for RV's!

John the Medevac pilot is who I flew with to get my tail wheel endorsement, after buying my RV-6. One heck of a nice guy and can fly anything with wings! To explain, no RV's were available locally, so did the tail-wheel in a converted Cessna 175. Two weeks late flew to California to get my RV-6, did my instruction there with a CFI who has an RV-4, to meet requirements for insurance. Hadn't flow in 20-years when I flew with John, very knowledgeable CFI, who had me relaxed, within a few hours had my tail wheel endorsement.

Would like to explain the Yellow RV-6A and C-46 Commando photo above. Terry, a friend I met about one year before buying my RV-6, is one of the pilots for the C-46 Commando in the picture above. Great guy and offered to take me up in his RV-6 before I bought one, schedules didn't match up and my first RV ride was in my RV-6 already purchased. Terry stopped in the day Vlad was leaving Kenai for home and mentioned he recently purchased an RV-8 quickbuild with everything included (engine, instruments etc.- only thing needed will be paint)

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Last edited:
Wow, Vlad, your photos are incredible! Great Story writing too.

Don't know how many here personally know Vlad, but I can tell you he is one very interesting person and an outstanding pilot. Vans needs to make him an ambassador for RV's!

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Agree Mike. Im glad you two got together. Have fun!!

Kulik Lake Info Vlad Mentioned

Here is the Kulik Lake Info that Vlad mentioned.

Kulik_Lake_Diagram.png

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Another hour flew by. Mt Peulik.

Fort Jensen. En emergency airstrip.

Ugashik river runway complex close to Becharof Lake. A friend of mine bought a tour from here last year thoroughly enjoyed. Plenty of bunks in adjacent lodges but only for those who buy tours they don't cater to a casual drop off.

Ugashik bay another escape option however the surface is poor quality.

My fuel burn was looking good and I diverted toward Aniakchak National Monument.

Aniakchak is a spectacular crater with Surprise Lake in the caldera.

The river out of the lake is popular with extreme rafters. They charter a seaplane land on Surprise lake and run down the volcanic rapids.

I completed the full circle around the caldera and returned on my course. Uncharted landing strip on Meshik river.

After that I dialed Nelson Lagoon. The fog was still there. Hmm I guess I need an alternate. Almost 4 hours airborne on stock fuel tanks I have to land somewhere to refuel from jar cans. Thought of longer range tanks crossed my mind again.

Last edited:
Cold Bay PACD was soaked in as well but there was a passage under the deck from the south. SVFR is an option. A Piper was already talking about it...

Look... Aghileen Pinnacles!!

And here is Pavlof volcano wearing a hat. Mount Emmons had a bonnet too.

Cold Bay Radio how it looks at False Pass? Radio looked at the monitors nothing good came out of it.

Hey Piper xxxWhiskey got a question for you. Where you came from?...
Piper xxW; who are you what u doing here?
Me; Just putting around VFR enjoying the scenery...
Piper (straight to the chase); Go to King Cove it's clear. My wife is there we can give you gas I'll be back in 30...

It's good to have a working radio.

King Cove was clear indeed. Just over the ridge those rolling Aleutian clouds were visibly dissipating. Then rolling again 20kts wind is considered nothing here. A fishing village and processing plant of King Cove.

I scooted over Belkovsky bay looking for whales none were spotted.

Gravel runway was in great shape.

I parked and walked to the Eider Co. office. There was a charter aircraft from Palmer and pilots recognized my RV. Wow I am impressed.

Guy Pere and his wife Wanda run a small one-man charter operation. Good people. Guy shuttled several customers from King Cove to Cold Bay and False Pass, then drove me to the village to buy car gas. He lent me five jars. I spent couple hours on the ground Wanda gave me a microwaved burrito. Never thought junk food could be that tasty.

My telephone didn't work, Guy gave me his to file DVFR flight plan to Dutch Harbor. There are two F18s sitting at Cold Bay with Sidewinders, says Guy, they are looking for rogues you better behave. You got a lot of gas. If you don't make it to Dutch, come back we have a place to stay for you. Just call the FSS from the air and ask them to call me. I will pick you up after hours... :D

There are basic VFR round dials on the instrument panel. I have a transponder and a radio. I navigate using compass, paper charts and an app on ipad. I don't have an onboard weather.

NO GPS?? NO Weather??:eek: You're a braver man than me Vlad.:rolleyes: But than, having that chart allows you to know all those names of the places you're flying over. Great job Vlad.

Thank you guys. If I can do it anybody can. Just wait for a good weather window and go. You would be surprised how easy it is.

... leaving King Cove PAVC. A Grant Aviation Caravan quickly unloaded his boxes while I was still back taxiing runway 25. Where are you going brother? Trying to reach the Dutch, I'll turn left then low over the village, will be out of your way shortly. I am jealous the kid said good luck.

Super excited I shoved the throttle wide open too fast. The wood prop picked up a pebble or two the shrapnel hit somewhere under. Why did I do that I've been to worse fields always rolled partial power till nose up. Dummy.

Climbed, opened my DVFR flight plan said bye to Grant guy and went my own way. Here it is Unimak Island. False Pass airport is right under that pretty layer of fog. The itch to land on it was strong no RVs ever been to that island. Not this time.

Cold Bay radio briefed me on current VFR condition and asked to report Akutan there was no radar coverage. Thank you good guys! The Pacific side of Unimak Island was clear. Plenty of good beaches, boats fishing, cabins etc. Who told me there is nothing down there?

The Bering seaside was under solid IMC.

Isanotski Peaks

followed by Shishaldin volcano. I've read it's active but I didn't see any smoke coming out of it. On my way back I'll take a closer look.

To the left is Pogromin. Temptation took over and I made a wide 360 degree turn around it. Smooth air, plenty of fuel and a happy Lycoming what better could you ask for? Life is good!

The Pacific side again. Cabins, fishing boats and fresh ATV trails.

From here I climbed till feet dry and hopped over Unimak Pass toward Akun Island. For the next 30 minutes I will see what Zero pilots saw 76 years ago...

Wow, what scenery! I had no idea. Seems like all the Aleutian photos I've seen showed a gray world, wet and cold, with a lot of rocks. Vlad's photos suggest it is the most beautiful part of Alaska, perhaps the whole USA. Just wow!

BTW, if you make it to OSH, try to meet Ralph Maloof, resident engineer at Revmaster. He can often be found hanging out with Pat Panzera at the Contact Magazine booth. Ralph flew P-40's, then P-38's over the Aleutians during WWII, and tells absolutely fascinating stories.

C46

The Alaskan C46's are probably the last C46's in the world used in commercial operations. They are famous for flying the "hump" in WWII.

The Alaskan C46's are probably the last C46's in the world used in commercial operations. They are famous for flying the "hump" in WWII.

Yes, they are some of the last.

The owner has a stock pile of parts that he hunted down all over the world. They use P-47 Thunderbolt engines. The sound they make on takeoff is awesome!

During the Kenai Airfair held every year in early June, you can walk inside to take photos. I have several of the cockpit and fuel tank in the center. Awesome!

The sound is pure pleasure to hear, the rumble as they fly past, you can feel from a distance. One day saw one doing a max performance takeoff from about a mile away, very impressive sound and climb angle!

One day I will get a photo of one in the pattern with a C-17 and or C-130 that usually use the Kenai for instrument approaches, missed twice of photo getting a C130 following the C-46.

Geez I even like the DC-4 sound, and occasionally a DC3 from Anchorage shows up.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

Incredible Photos!

Vlad,

Those photos are convincing me to start planning for a personal flight that way myself!

Thank you for sharing.

Best regards,
Mike Bauer

C46

Pratt and Whitney R2800. Probably the most popular and common of the big radials. Dozens of military and civilian airplanes used that engine. Also the most reliable of the big radials.
If you see one or both of the Howard 500's that come to OSH, they are powered by that engine.

Cleveland Volcano

Hey Vlad,

I checked your aprs and it looks like you are back in the New York area--that is good. The science journals are talking about a volcanic eruption in the Aleutian Islands. It seems that Mt. Cleveland on Chuginakak Is. is showing signs of an eruption in days or weeks. Last one sent ash up 30k ft into the air--not good for a Lycoming.

Incredible pictures!!!

Cheers,
db

Nice views, keep in mind Vlad is a seriously good aviator. He flew MIG 23?s for Uncle Samsky back in the day. BTW Vlad just saw one at AF museum WPAFB last week.

Memphis Belle very nicely done.

VR
HR

Ball and chain...

Nicely done Vlad...and thanks for sharing the awesome pics.
Like you, I was blessed to fly fast pointy airplanes once upon a time and got to fly the length of the Aleutians one rare, clear blue day over the chain.
Awesome is vastly understated.

So, is the windsock at Shemya really a ball and chain? :)

V/R
Smokey

PS During our deployment briefing (Japan to Anchorage) the briefer casually mentioned that "when you pass Shemya (Western tip of chain) you're a little past the halfway point .

Perspective

imgurl
Love to show this to Texans

Last edited:
I owe Vlad a public apology. He flew Fencer D?s, Sukoi Su-24s back in the day. That is equivalent to accusing a lawn dart guy (F16, who works for a living) of flying the F15. So unfair, so needlessly cruel!

I?ll let the Hog & Lawn Dart communities duke it out on their own:)

VR
HR

Saw a 4 ship of F35s on the gulf coast couple of weeks ago, what concerned me was they looked into our condo with those fancy helmets!! :-0

Akutan Zero

Avatanak island followed by Rootok. For some those chunks of rock mean nothing but for aviators of WWII every landable spot was gold.

Lost Harbor of Akun island. I've heard the beach there is hard enough at low tide.

Akutan Island airport PAUT perfect runway with a dip in the middle. A controversial project. A certain corporate jet with certain seafood company doesn't like to land there. They go to Dutch Harbor instead I understand why.

Past Akun Strait lies Akutan Island. There is a large fish processing facility and old defunct whaling station.

Not far from there back in 1942 a 19 years old Japanese fighter Tadayoshi Koga crash landed his Zero. It was recovered in several weeks and brought to a US research facility. I was fully restored and studied.

A Japanese submarine assigned to recover downed airmen was waiting in that bight for days...

I had plenty of fuel and time to spare. So I circled Akutan Peak another active volcano. Then I hopped over Akutan Pass toward Unalga.

Last edited:
Hello Unalaska! We made it. 10 minutes out I hear an airport maintenance crew talking to Cold Bay radio to NOTAM field closed for 20 minutes. No biggie let's fly around take a look. Beaver Inlet.

Udagak Strait all the prominent landmarks I remember by heart. Those years of preparations payed off.

Here is a glimpse of Dutch Harbor runway. Carved in the rock.

The sprout of the village toward Pyramid Peak.

The curfew was lifted, I closed my DVFR flight plan with Cold Bay Radio, remotely locked the gates on both sides of the runway and joined final 31.

Now the fun part. The runway has three windsocks. Two at both approach ends always show tailwind and one in the middle indicates cross wind. Man, I've been to come places but this is crazy. I am a kind of heavy, going a bit faster then usual and with over 10 kts on the tail I go around...

You can't go around at Dutch dang fog lays at 50 feet. So I scoot under the layer making a 270 something degree turn aiming at the numbers 13... barely touched down at one third and locked the brakes. Sloppy job very sloppy. BillR do you think a TW and CS would help?

I was met by the airport manager he advised on tie down spot. An RVator from Florida already booked a room at Grand Aleutian Hotel for me.

It was a nice walk to the hotel. Another layer of fog rolled in...

Today's mission was accomplished. Tomorrow weather forecast looks stellar. I will go flying.

Last edited:
Grand Aleutian Hotel is very nice. Plan $250 per day to stay in it. There are cheaper options but I was not aware of them.

Rita, a front desk lady, told me there is a restaurant on second floor called Chart Room. Go there, she said, a dinner is waiting for you already paid. It's good to have friends thank you!

Back to the room for another drink. Jeff, one of the Manatawny distillery owners, personally brought me a bottle of his best super proof whiskey before my departure. Good stuff thanks Jeff and Co!

Rested well. The morning was foggy but locals said it would clear in couple hours. Room with a view. Normally you can see the airport.

A cool street art.

Not far from the hotel there is Museum of the Aleutians. I spent over an hour there the exhibitions are quite unique.

A light wind started tearing fog apart. Time to go to the airport.

It's a nice 15 minutes walk from the Grand Aleutian Hotel to the airport. Traffic is light and there is a wide shoulder.

Airport has some scheduled services but flights were canceled for the last few days due to winds and visibility. Many of workmen were stuck at the hotel. When some learned that small planes are flying in and out (my RV) they weren't happy.

Cool WWII building and a small museum. Unfortunately it was closed for couple days.

On the ramp I had several visitors I enjoyed. A Penair office manager came with his assistant then some pilots. Everybody was curious what kind of airplane was that. Matt, a local mechanic, called his buddy Tom and asked if he has avgas for sale. Surely Tom had. Excellent now I can fly over the island as long as I want. Notice the windsock?

I backtaxi to the other end of the runway. Now take a look again.

Wind wasn't bad I lifted off at the middle of the runway and rolled toward Mt Ballyhoo.

There are WWII fortifications near the top of the mountain. The big guns were removed but bunkers looked really cool. Do you see an active volcano?

Some tourists made it all the way up I circled them. Guys waived and it seemed they had a blast.

Then I climbed the volcano.

My grandfather was stationed in Dutch Harbor during WWII. He was a Navy Chief and told me lots of stories about how he and his buddies stole the officer's whiskey while unloading the supply ships. The crane operator would pause the load for a moment as it passed an interior deck, and his co-conspirators would grab cases of whiskey. The enlisted men only got beer, which they would stash in the snowbank outside their barracks. Grandpa said each spring they'd find a few bottles that had gotten lost in the snow. Somewhere around her I have a chunk of pumice stone that he brought back from there.

Climbing a volcano and a harbor raid

Almost there at Makushin summit. It's the height of Mt Washington in Hew Hampshire. There is a Seismic observatory cam in the valley.

Driftwood Bay Airforce station is barely visible under the layer of fog. The surface there is not good. It claimed an airplane once.

Volcano Bay topped with Kovrizhka Cape. You can see Mt Vsevidof and Recheshnoi all the way to the Islands of four mountains. The visibility was so great I swear I saw a plum of smoke from Cleveland. Couldn't find a picture probably forgot to press shutter button.

Cool lake in the crater. A guy (Ed?) drove me from the airport and told a story somebody nearly made it to the summit in a snowmobile.

That's Shaishnikoff River I believe goes to Captain Bay.

Then I was simulating an air raid.

These ship wrecks are probably new but they look like those off the coast of Kiska.

Then oops! My memory card was full and I can't provide any proof I flew for another half hour. To the better I guess.

And then I met Andy. An RV9A builder and flyer who works in Dutch. Andy gave me a ground tour then we had a beer and a pizza. We communicated several years ago then got lost. It was a coincidence Andy drove by the airport, saw my RV tied down and established contact via VAF. Good job!

Last edited:
Returning

After another day of deliberating I decided to turn back. A bird watching ship was about to depart from Adak toward Attu. Thank you Karen for coordination if you are reading this. We will make it next time.

Hotel shuttle brought me to the airplane. Bill, born and raised in Brooklyn, NY. Thank you!

Tom, local pilot. Sold me his last avgas, provided valuable info on localities and overall good guy. Tom own a nice Cessna 172 it's in the quonset hut. I'll be back Tom!

Departing Dutch Harbor.

A low pass rocking the wings then setting the course toward Cape Sarichef.

Cape Sarichef PACS, a CG location with a defunct Loran station. I was planning to land there. But after detecting some movement near the runway I decided not to take chances...

Last edited:
Ring of Fire

The view from Cape Sarichef. The northernmost part of Ring of Fire. Pogromin, Shishaldin, Isanotski volcanoes.

Shishaldin is active. Let's take a look. It's only 10,000 feet high...

Wow what a beauty!

Isanotski Peaks.

It's time to refuel. Cold Bay airport all clear. Surprising amount of traffic is coming in.

Pilots are all of younger generation all respectful all courteous. While I was doing my best to make the approach shorter, a Navajo extended his. A Pennair Saab followed next.

Bear repellents of Cold Bay.

While I was pouring gas from the cans a young airline captain approached. Greetings I am Leo did this airplane flew to Russia a while ago? Read it somewhere. Yeah it's me. Hey if you ever need any assistance with weather or whatever here is our company air-to-air frequency don't hesitate to ask anything.

This is definitely not the lower 48.

Campaign 2018 ends in Kenai

Off Cold Bay. A boost of morale on the radio from big boys - happy flying!

Emanating Pavlof.

Port Heiden PAPH nobody flying.

Mount Peulik.

Turquoise waters of Naknek Lake.

Augustine island.

Iliamna volcano.

Journey ended where it started on Kenai peninsula. Next day Mike Bauer was playing the guide. Next Expedition is scheduled for 2020. Join us!

I showed your bear repellent photo to my son. These are a couple aircraft from Japan headed to Red Flag, but had to stop to address a mechanical issue.

Avgas in Adak PADK

There are three drums of 100LL in Adak PADK. A transient went via Nome toward Mother Russia instead of Aleutians-Kamchatka. Avgas is for sale anybody interested email or PM me I?ll give you the seller?s contact.

Back