VansAirForceForums  
Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 06-21-2013, 07:20 PM

Default RV-14 Aileron Fitting

I have a question for the group about aileron alignment on the RV14 wing. When I line everything up with the bellcrank jig and the aileron jig in the neutral position, the aileron is titled up a little. Like at a lower angle of incidence than the wing it's attached to. It doesn't follow the same profile as the main wing ribs. The aileron sort of swoops up in relation to the wing when aligned. Is this normal, or have I done something wrong? I'm ready to drill my wingtips in place, but need to make sure the ailerons and aileron bellcrank are in the correct position so the tips align too. The wingtip rib that will be riveted in the wingtip aft end has a contour change in it, so maybe that's the way the ailerons are supposed to line up, but it's different than my RV8 & 6, so I want to be certain. I tried calling Vans, but it was a few minutes past 5:00 on Friday and nobody was home (I don't blame them, I'd be gone too....). If anybody has any insight, such as RV10 builders, please share.

Thanks,
Old 06-21-2013, 08:09 PM

The RV-10 (and 14) use an airfoil shape that has the ailerons and flaps reflexed for cruise flight.

This is evident in the wing tip shape.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")
Old 06-21-2013, 09:44 PM

Thanks... that's what I thought, but wanted to be sure before drilling my tips. It looked a little odd when I first lined things up.
Old 09-23-2013, 03:25 PM

VAF does it again. I had the same question, and got the answer here in moments!
Old 09-23-2013, 03:33 PM

Default Also

If it is like the -10, the ailerons move a little, both in the same direction, when the stick is moved fore or aft.
You must align the ailerons with the elevators held neutral.