What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

riveting bottom skin around flaps brackets

The C-Frame riveting/dimpling tool sold by Avery Tools comes with 2 arbors, one which is machined on one end to fit into a pneumatic rivet gun and flush on the opposite end.
This arbor can be used in a rivet gun as an extended flush rivet set. Takes two people. One bucking and the other using one hand to hold the set centered over the rivet (hold it very close to the end... it wont hurt a bit), and the other controlling the gun.

If you do not have this tool, you will have to find something similar.

Bottom skin rivets next to flap brackets

I used a mushroom set and left the spring off, so the rivet gun could snug up against the flap bracket. Was able to ge the edge of the mushroom set reasonably flat against the rivet while bucking inside with a tungsten bar. I must say, though, that I now have a smile in the bottom skin where the mushroom set walked off the rivet - not bad enough to replace and nobody but me looks under there. Would be less likely with 2 people.

Like RVbuilder2002 said, having the ability to use squeezer sets with a custom gun set holder and a bucking bar with a hole to mount sets on the other end is a nice thing. I had to use it a couple of times on my 7A.

It provides a very narrow tool for shooting flush rivets but you do have to hold on to the gun tip because it will want to walk off the rivet head.

It also allows you to make dimples anywhere, like a pop rivet tool also allows, but in my experience the dimples are sharper with the gun and I don't break the nail. :)

I made my own out of a damaged AN470 gun set and a chunk of steel for the buck. Drilled 3/16 holes in each.

One can buy same from here:

Avery squeezer set holder for gun

Back