Home > VansAirForceForums

- POSTING RULES
- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Old 04-26-2013, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMPSguy View Post
Why does Vans have us use #30/40 countersinks for the screw holes on the spar flange? Shouldn't there be an appropriate countersink for a #8 and a #6 screw?
May be because the assembly instuctions have you intall the platenuts before countersinking for the screw. The platenut serves as a guide for the cutter. The #30 countersink cutter pilot fits the #8 screw platenut, the #40 fits the #6 screw platenut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LAMPSguy View Post
Are you saying wherever the project needed to be countersunk, it was just adjusted .007" deeper (7 clicks on a countersink cage) than what was required for a rivet to sit flush?
Maybe as a general rule, however the the thickness of the dimpled material will influence the depth needed for a good fit.
Flying

KitProject.com

"If you think you can do a thing, or think you can't do a thing, you're right." -- Henry Ford
Old 08-24-2013, 04:27 AM

Default Countersink question supplemental

I'm a bit confused with this one; On step 2, 3rd paragraph, instruction says NOTE: Machine countersink in all rib locations. What does this means? I find that a little bit vague.

The rest is pretty much strait forward but this. Is this referring to the pair of holes that match the rib tab (top & bottom of the rib) or else? It can't be the holes matching the forward flange of the rib holes since you need to install AN470 rivets there to attached them to the spar (step 3 pg 12-07).
S/N #140070
40% airframe done
C-FOOT (reserved)
2018 due paid
http://www.mykitlog.com/Debovsky/

" Resistance, is futile "
Old 08-24-2013, 06:52 AM

Default how I took it

That is how I took it.
RV-14 #140050 SOLD

Permanently willing to contribute fuel for RV rides

Helicopter ATP/CFI(I)
ASEL/AMEL Commercial/Inst/CFI(I)
Aerobatic Instruction available

Atlanta based.
Old 08-24-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debovsky View Post
I'm a bit confused with this one; On step 2, 3rd paragraph, instruction says NOTE: Machine countersink in all rib locations. What does this means? I find that a little bit vague.

The rest is pretty much strait forward but this. Is this referring to the pair of holes that match the rib tab (top & bottom of the rib) or else? It can't be the holes matching the forward flange of the rib holes since you need to install AN470 rivets there to attached them to the spar (step 3 pg 12-07).
Marc, here is how I took it. Any time I see the words NOTE:, I believe it is basically referring to or a part of the step directly below it. So in this case, I believe it to refer to step 3 and step 3 has the directions for what to do along with the illustration.
Old 08-25-2013, 01:24 PM

Tom,

Seen that way it makes sense. I guess there are many ways of expressing "NOTES" on a specific set of instructions. In this case, it precedes the instruction. Being a professional engineer myself, I usually provide a NOTE after an instruction set. There's the confusion. Just need to adapt! Besides, this may have been explained in the section 1 to 5 of the manual and as usual, we tend to overlook what we've read previously.

Thanks for the remark.
S/N #140070
40% airframe done
C-FOOT (reserved)
2018 due paid
http://www.mykitlog.com/Debovsky/

" Resistance, is futile "

Last edited by Debovsky : 08-25-2013 at 01:25 PM. Reason: make a typo correction
Old 08-25-2013, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by propsync View Post
Marc, here is how I took it. Any time I see the words NOTE:, I believe it is basically referring to or a part of the step directly below it. So in this case, I believe it to refer to step 3 and step 3 has the directions for what to do along with the illustration.
Tom has it right.

Scott McDaniels
Hubbard, Oregon
RV-6A (aka "Junkyard Special ")