- Donate yearly (please).
- Advertise in here!

- Today's Posts | Insert Pics

Go Back   VAF Forums > Model Specific > RV-14
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2018, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamtheari View Post
Thanks for the tips on the Skybolt fasteners. I'm almost at the point in the fuselage where you put the hinge material on, so I'd better make a decision and order some parts if I'm going to go that way. Is there any particular reason you kept the piano hinge attachment at the sides of the firewall?
In my case:
  • Cheaper than quarter turns everywhere.
  • The upper hinges are the least accessible.
  • The hinges avoid the pillowing that quarter turns can create.

Also, using the F-14134A-L/R Cowl Hinge Shims with quarter turns along the top causes the upper cowl to sit too low where it abuts the F-01471 Forward Top Skin. I omitted the shims, as did another builder who used the SkyBolt quarter turns.

Here's the SkyBolt link: https://store.skybolt.com/vans-rv-1014-c711.aspx
Old 09-20-2018, 06:20 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the tips on the Skybolt fasteners. I'm almost at the point in the fuselage where you put the hinge material on, so I'd better make a decision and order some parts if I'm going to go that way. Is there any particular reason you kept the piano hinge attachment at the sides of the firewall?
My reason was based on recommendation by a Champion Awarded RV builder (3,6,7) who suffered fatigue cracks on upper and lower hinges requiring drilling out the hinges, installing Camlocs, and repainting. He never had issues with the side horiz or vert hinges and the camlocs are not easily noticed.
If you plan to fly infrequently, hinges will hold up fine. Fatigue cracks appeared around a couple of hundred hours. I went with Skybolt products.
H
Old 09-20-2018, 09:12 AM

Thanks for the specific details. I am not an infrequent flier and this plane won't be, either. I fly about 150 hours a year in my Arrow that the RV-14 will basically replace and, with lower operating costs, I'll probably fly it more.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:06 AM

Okay, looking at the plans...

Fuselage page 28-07 is where I put on the lower cowl plates, already done.

Fuselage page 29-08 is where the side cowl hinges go onto the firewall, which I will do.

Fuselage page 35-09 is where you install the cowl pin retention bracket, which looks like it's for the top hinge pins so I can leave that off. Or can I? RV-14E's pictures appear to show the retention bracket in place.

Fuselage pages 35-18 and -19 involve cowling hinge shims and cowl attach hinges, which I understand to be the parts to replace with the Skybolt product

Finishing section 45 will involve skipping and modifying numerous steps to deal with the Skybolt product but, at the end of the day, I'll have a bottom cowl that is connected to the firewall with piano hinge and a top cowl that is connected to the bottom cowl with piano hinge and a couple of nutplates but connected to the firewall with 1/4-turn fasteners.

Am I close?

On some of the other suggestions:
* What tailwheel options have people tried, loved, hated, etc.? I'll mostly be on pavement but there will be trips to other surfaces.
* How much better is a Vetterman exhaust and how much do they cost for the 14?
* I already committed to no steps while building the fuselage. I had a chance to get in and out of a -14 (the phenomenal example that Tom Martin built) without steps and it's fine for me. For passengers, a little folding stool isn't a big deal.
* I'm looking at Classic Aero. I had hoped to keep my interior options as open as possible so I might end up with the seat backs from Van's anyhow to keep the option. But thanks for that tip!
* If anyone knows of a good source of cowl hinge pin covers, please share a link. Tom Martin's has covers and they look so clean.
Old 09-20-2018, 10:15 AM

Here's a link to the cowl pin covers
https://www.aerosportproducts.com/rv10cowlpin.htm

N1402 reserved
RV-14a Empennage Done
QB Wing QB Fuse inprogress
Build Log
Old 10-08-2018, 03:06 PM

I'm about to order the Skybolt hardware. Do I need to order tools from them as well or can the hardware be installed using regular tools?
Old 10-08-2018, 03:16 PM

Quote:
I'm about to order the Skybolt hardware. Do I need to order tools from them as well or can the hardware be installed using regular tools?
Sure helps to have the insert tool:
https://store.skybolt.com/4p3-t26-p3226.aspx

Here's an example of how it's used (poor pic, sorry) from when I finally got the fasteners installed.

Consider getting quarter-turns for your oil door too, if you don't want to the winged ones that the kit comes with:
https://store.skybolt.com/rv-od2-p4727.aspx

Poor picture of my oil door with the lower profile fasteners...

Old 10-08-2018, 04:37 PM

Are the Skybolt fasteners really a big upgrade for the oil door from the quarter-turn fasteners supplied with the kit? I generally prefer the kind you can open without a screwdriver.
Old 10-08-2018, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Are the Skybolt fasteners really a big upgrade for the oil door from the quarter-turn fasteners supplied with the kit? I generally prefer the kind you can open without a screwdriver.
There's no right or wrong here. It comes down to personal preference. I didn't like the look of the winged fasteners. I'm not bothered by needing a screwdriver.

Whatever decision you make, it'll be the right one!
Old 10-08-2018, 05:08 PM

It's more that the FBO guy who plugs my preheater in or my friend who helps preflight the plane will need to find a screwdriver to open the oil door and access the preheater plug or the dipstick. I'm spoiled by the push button on my Cherokee oil door, I guess. But I am looking at the Skybolt winged fasteners and they have a fold-down wing, which is an interesting compromise. I'll probably go with the Phillips-head ones, since they don't require me to pick between fold-down and fixed winged heads on the fasteners.

I'm going to be a nervous wreck when it's time to choose paint colors.