What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rear stick floor opening help needed

SJordan

Well Known Member
Hi guys,
Trying to finish up my floor and can't figure out how big the opening needs to be for the rear stick or front stick. My control surfaces are not in yet so I have no idea how much the stick actually moves. Anyone have any help on how big to make the back and front openings?

Thanks for any help,
Shawn

Pic is just a test piece.

IMG_3350.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I don't think there is flooring scheduled for that area. It's been a while, but I think my center bays are open, so I can drop my cell phone down there.

Mine (purchased) has what appears to be an aftermarket floor shifter boot around the rear stick. Its flange is almost wide enough to reach across the center tunnel.

Thanks guys for the input. I don't see anything in the plans for a "cover" back there but I sure do what to find a way to close up the center tunnel, if not my 4-year old is going to fill it up with Matchbox cars and Cheerios. It sure does look like its going to take one big boot back there to make it work. Maybe I will make an aluminum raised cover with a smaller boot then at the top. Rod the strap was built to allow me to move my seat all the back to that point as I'm 6'4. It started out as a 5lb block of aluminum and 8hr later in a CNC it weights a few ounces.

Thanks Again guys!

Fabricate

Hi

This is an area where you need to fabricate something . I used 25 though sheet.

From the photo it looks like the torque tube is pulled up a bit high because if the bracket holding the rise joint.

There is a photos of this area on my build blog On the first page, just click on the blog link.

Last edited:
Hi

This is an area where you need to fabricate something . I used 25 though sheet.

From the photo it looks like the torque tube is pulled up a bit high because if the bracket holding the rise joint.

There is a photos of this area on my build blog On the first page, just click on the blog link.

That's exactly what I'm thinking I need to build. Thanks for the link and pictures. I agree it seams I have that rod end to high in the brace but the the plans show 1" from center of rod end to the top of the mounting plate and the factory mount plate is spaces up with 3/4 stock so I set my rod end to -.25" below the floor. Does this sound correct? Maybe I need to recheck as I do have a lot of treads sticking up and my brace is 3/4" tall at that center point.

My plan for backseat air is a NACA duct in the bottom of the wing so I will put an air vent in the floor just outside of the center tunnel. My front tunnel is a smoke tank so I have no way of getting scatt tubing from front to back.

Thanks again for the help guys.

what I did

I have been down that road when I built mine. I have lots of pictures, and many are already on threads here. I have a fully closed aluminum cover,leather boot, and fresh air vented from the bottom of the right wing ,through the tunnel and into the rear stick console. It's easier to send pictures to an email than post on here (for me). You need to have the front seat mounted to set your for and aft stick position at optimum angle.

Dont know how they will work ,as about to start flying,but installed 4 rv10 vents,2 front,2 for rear.Tomcatrv4

I would remove the rear stick & cover it when not needed by a copilot. A temporary easily removable cover, whether aluminum or vinyl. A water bottle or shoe dropped in the well could be a problem.

If you get your cover(s) close, as you have already depicted in the photo, once your flying surfaces are on you'll find if a little more trimming is needed or not.

Dont know how they will work ,as about to start flying,but installed 4 rv10 vents,2 front,2 for rear.Tomcatrv4

I installed a -10 vent for my backseater; works great. Right side, just below top longeron & ~1 3/4" aft of the roll bar reinforcement bulkhead. Gave the 2nd from the kit to a friend.

Back