What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rosie & Tuppergal?s Caribbean Trip 2015

Day 17: Canouan to Bequia

Today was our travel day from Canouan to Bequia, but at ~18nm away (7 minutes), Sharkbait and I were able to get in a morning dive; we planned to fly to Bequia at 500' MSL afterwards). Here are the Canouan dive highlights with Dive Instructors Steve & Jean:

Caribbean_611.jpg

The fish are PLENTIFUL here in Canouan:

Caribbean_612.jpg

Caribbean_613.jpg

Caribbean_614.jpg

Wave to the Camera Steve! Turns out that Steve knows my Dive Instructor on Grand Turk, Mitch Rolling:

Caribbean_616.jpg

Caribbean_617.jpg

Caribbean_618.jpg

Caribbean_619jpg

Caribbean_620.jpg

The dive boat dropped us off in front of our hotel at 1250, and Tuppergal was packed & ready to leave for the airport. We arrived there in minutes, got through Customs and paid the tower ($29 US) and were airborne by 1350. We landed Bequia minutes later, and unfortunately, the camera was in the bag at the bottom of the pile in the baggage area so no pictures for the short flight :-( I plan to back-track on Monday to get some pics of the Tamarind Beach Hotel from the air.

Caribbean_615.jpg

Last edited:

Bequia was one of the EASIEST islands to clear into. We landed about 10 minutes later after flying at 500' for ~18nm. We emptied the plane in record time, gave one (1) GenDec to each Customs and the Tower...no fees...so we jumped on a taxi and made it to the Bequia Dive Center in time for my afternoon dive with Dive Instructor Alex and boat driver Max. Here are the Bequia highlights:

Roger & Sue arrived earlier in the morning, followed by me and Sharkbait landed ~1530. The 'hills' behind the planes are an island!

Caribbean_621.jpg

The terminal area at Bequia Airport (TVSB):

Caribbean_622.jpg

Caribbean_623.jpg

Can you see Mr. Fish in this picture:

Caribbean_624.jpg

Caribbean_625.jpg

Caribbean_626.jpg

Caribbean_627.jpg

This was VERY COOL: TWO FrogFish!

Caribbean_628.jpg

Caribbean_629.jpg

Anyone care for some grapes?

Caribbean_630.jpg

Last edited:

Caribbean_631.jpg

Caribbean_632.jpg

My dive ended around 1630, and I grabbed a taxi to meet up with the group at Sugar Reef Bequia. This hotel is actually a massive home-on-a-hill, and the owner has turned the rooms into suites. The main lobby is located on the beach where you will find three (3) beach cottages. A van MUST DRIVE you up the hill to get to the other five (5) rooms (of which we have three). If you are looking for the ultimate getaway, this is it!

We are in the 'French House', a multi-level HOME:

Caribbean_637.jpg

Caribbean_644.jpg

Here is what you see when you open the door to our room:

Caribbean_633.jpg

And what you see when you look out the window(s):

Caribbean_634.jpg

The room:

Caribbean_635.jpg

Caribbean_636.jpg

There is a kitchen on the upper level for all guests to use. Drinks in the fridge are on the 'honor system'; sign out what you drink.

Caribbean_638.jpg

Breakfast will be cooked-to-order and served here on the breakfast terrace from 0800 to 1000:

Caribbean_639.jpg

Last edited:

The doors/windows to the left of the breakfast terrace are the Library/Sitting Room:

Caribbean_641.jpg

Caribbean_642.jpg

If you walk out the front of the Library above, you are on the terrace facing the ocean (same direction as from the dining table picture):

Caribbean_643.jpg

Caribbean_648.jpg

Caribbean_649.jpg

This is the terrace in front of the Library/Sitting Room:

Caribbean_645.jpg

Caribbean_646.jpg

The most COLORFUL caterpillar I've ever seen in my life:

Caribbean_650.jpg

And for you Star-Gazers, here's the Southern Cross; photo by Sharkbait:

Caribbean_647.jpg

There is no diving on the island on Sunday (tomorrow) so I will need to get out and do something other than diving!

Keep poundin' them rivets because it's ALL worth it!!! Rosie & Tuppergal

Last edited:
Great Underwater Pictures!!

Wow Rosie, your underwater pics are Great!! and the rest are pretty darn good also!! I am so bummed out, it looks like you guys are having a blast!! Wish I was there!!

Keys

I miss having you here Keys.....you need to join us in Bonaire after Thanksgiving! Rosie

Last edited by a moderator:
Day 18: Bequia

Hi All,
It's Sunday, 26 April and we spent a lazy morning relaxing in the French House at Sugar Reef and then took a taxi to town to walk around and enjoy a late lunch. The beaches here are completely covered in washed-up-seaweed that smells pretty bad. Thank goodness we are high-on-the-hill so don't have to put up with that! I forgot my camera but many thanks to Roger Hansen for these pictures:

This seaweed has covered what seems like all the beaches on the island, and it stinks:

Caribbean_652.jpg

Here are some of the narrow roads in the town of Port Elizabeth:

Caribbean_653.jpg

Caribbean_658.jpg

Caribbean_659.jpg

And ladies dressed up for Sunday Church:

Caribbean_654.jpg

The ferry yard:

Caribbean_660.jpg

And the bay at Port Elizabeth:

Caribbean_655.jpg

Caribbean_656.jpg

Caribbean_657.jpg

Monday (27 April) begins the last week of our 3-week vacation, we check out of Sugar Reef at ~1100, and I plan to depart here south at 1200 so I can get some pics of Canouan (the camera was buried when we left) and continue south a short ways to Mopion Island.

From there, will land at St. Vincent for fuel then continue into St. Lucia for two nights. Roger and Andrew (and the girls) will fly direct St. Vincent then to St. Lucia. I have a dive scheduled for Roger & me on Tuesday.

Keep poundin' them rivets because it's ALL worth it! Rosie & Tuppergal

Last edited:
Day 19: Bequia to St. Lucia

Hi All, It’s Day 19 of the last week of our vacation…and we are just having a WONDERFUL time!!!!!! Today was a travel day from Bequia to St. Lucia, however, if you recall, I had buried the camera in the luggage area and no pics of the 8 minute flight from Canouan to Bequia….so Sharkbait/Crystal and Tuppergal/I ‘backtracked’ from Bequia the few minutes south to Canouan to get some pics then kept flying south to near Union Island so we could circle Mopion Island (for JimmyB)!!!!;

On the ramp at Bequia:

Caribbean_661.jpg

Caribbean_662.jpg

The Tamarind Beach Hotel:

Caribbean_663.jpg

Caribbean_664.jpg

Canouan Airport (TVSC)

Caribbean_665.jpg

Union Island (TVSU)

Caribbean_666.jpg

Mopion Island; I flew formation off Sharkbait's right wing so Crystal could take a picture of us.

Tuppergal was able to shoot these two pics before we flew circles around it. Will add one of her pics later:

Caribbean_669.jpg

Caribbean_667.jpg

Leaving Mopion Island for landing/fuel at St. Vincent (TVSV)

Caribbean_670.jpg

Last edited:

Final approach to St. Vincent (TVSV) and fueling at $8.98/gallon (ouch!):

Caribbean_671.jpg

Caribbean_672.jpg

Caribbean_673.jpg

Caribbean_674.jpg

I have to tell you that I TRIED REAL HARD to persuade the tower to let us takeoff INTO THE WIND which was blowing runway heading (100@25 knots) but only JETS can takeoff because of the mountain off in the distance: the picture(s) above don’t show really how FAR the hills were..not a problem for ANY RV…and with 25 knots of wind, we would have been at 2000’ MSL by the end of the runway…no luck…we tookoff downwind…single ship; I did succeed in getting us all on the runway at the same time though…

Caribbean_675.jpg

Roger & Sue Hansen ready for takeoff:

Caribbean_676.jpg

The flight to St. Lucia is again, short….everything is ‘short’ when flying these islands. Here are the famous Piton’s on St. Lucia:

Caribbean_677.jpg

Caribbean_678.jpg

Final approach to St. Lucia (TLPC):

Caribbean_679.jpg

The 'rampees' came running out to tell me "NO PICTURES"....whatever....

Caribbean_680.jpg

Last edited:

Here’s a “You are not supposed to take pictures on the ramp” picture (under arm, under cover ;-)

Caribbean_681.jpg

Caribbean_682.jpg

Joe driving us to the hotel:

Caribbean_683.jpg

Caribbean_684.jpg

Arriving to the Coco Palm Hotel. This place is BEAUTIFUL!

Caribbean_685.jpg

Caribbean_686.jpg

Caribbean_687.jpg

The pool is steps away from our room (and this is only about 1/3rd of the pool as it wraps around to the left):

Caribbean_688.jpg

Pool on the left, Koko Cabana Bar & Bistro on the right:

Caribbean_689.jpg

Couldn't catch the sunset but was able to get this....

Caribbean_690.jpg

We all had an excellent Steak Dinner at Big Chef Steakhouse, followed by (for Scoot & Cookie) ICE CREAM!!!!!!

I arranged a dive with Dive St. Lucia, and here's something different for the Divers to read:

Yes we have space for you guys on the 28th. The price for you will be $115US and for your buddy $137US (includes gear). These prices include a guided 2 tank dive, lunch, water (the drinking variety), towel on the boat and a pick-up and drop-off service if required. Just to make you aware, we will have you at the dive centre around 8:30 with the boat leaving at about 9:00 and then returning at about 14:30-15:00.

Six (6) hours for a two-tank dive that includes lunch...will have to let you know how that goes!

Keep poundin' them rivets because it's ALL WORTH IT! Rosie & Tuppergal

Last edited:
The most COLORFUL caterpillar I've ever seen in my life:

Caribbean_650.jpg

these creatures are beautiful but can munch down the leaves of a plant in no time. looks like the plant in the background was eaton.

Day 20: St. Lucia

Hi All,
Roger, Andrew and I were up and ready at 0830 for Dive St. Lucia to pick us up and take us to the dive shop. I was wondering why such a long day for a 2-tank dive, but now know why….here’s how it went;

We arrived to the shop, filled out the paperwork, paid $115 US (with my equipment) and Roger/Andrew paid $137 US then went out to the dive boat. This business just opened late last year in a HUGE new dove complex built by Swiss Owners. EVERYTHING is NEW, including the boats; the nicest boats I have EVER been on for a dive…the WOW FACTOR is truly here! The boat did not leave the Marina until nearly 1000 followed by a 45 minute drive to the dive site, south, near the Pitons...Angela something was the name... My camera pics show I was taking pics by 1102.

Here’s a Sharp-nose eel that I also was able to capture video of swimming:

Caribbean_691.jpg

Say hello to Mr. Crab:

Caribbean_692.jpg

I call this “Spaghetti”:

Caribbean_693.jpg

Caribbean_694.jpg

I motioned for Sharkbait to ‘hold position’ next to the HUGE coral ‘bowl’ behind him:

Caribbean_695.jpg

Caribbean_696.jpg

Sharkbait found this: a plastic bottle…

Caribbean_697.jpg

Caribbean_698.jpg

Caribbean_699.jpg

Caribbean_700.jpg

Last edited:

We surfaced from the first dive around 1200, and then the crew served lunch which included Chicken (marinated, very good!), pasta, lentil salad and green salad. Now that’s what I call a ‘surface interval’.

Caribbean_703.jpg

Caribbean_704.jpg

The next set of dive pics show me back in the water just after 1300.

Caribbean_701.jpg

Caribbean_702.jpg

Caribbean_705.jpg

Caribbean_706.jpg

Caribbean_707.jpg

Caribbean_708.jpg

This Juvenile was hard to photograph…he never stopped moving!

Caribbean_709.jpg

Caribbean_710.jpg

Last edited:

While the guys went diving, the girls when on a tour. I have absolutely no idea what caption go with the pics except for the first one; they must have driven by the airport!

Caribbean_711.jpg

One of the largest Catholic Churches in town:

Caribbean_712.jpg

This is the cruise ship harbor, next to the airport. The airport will close when a big ship comes in because it blocks the runway...

Caribbean_713.jpg

Caribbean_714.jpg

I do recognize the Pitons ;-)

Caribbean_715.jpg

Caribbean_717.jpg

Caribbean_718.jpg

Caribbean_716.jpg

Caribbean_720.jpg

Caribbean_719.jpg

Wednesday, we'll depart the hotel at 1100 and get to the airport. With Customs, Immigration and filing with the tower, we hope to be airborne by 1230 for Nevis (fuel stop) then a 2-minute flight to nearby St. Kitts, the last island we'll stay on before starting home on Friday...

Last edited:
Here’s a “You are not supposed to take pictures on the ramp” picture (under arm, under cover ;-)

Six (6) hours for a two-tank dive that includes lunch...will have to let you know how that goes!

If they are diving the Piton area (by far the nicest area), it's a good hour by boat down to the site from Castries. If they are heading to the Lesliee M (a nice wreck), that's about half way to the Pitons. The Piton area was really nice with some decent slope dives, many smaller fish, but nothing big.

You were right Jim! Rosie

when vacationing in the caribbean half the fun is underwater. thanks for the GREAT pics! ;)

Thanks Turbo!! As I tell everyone, these trips for me are about flying, diving with a bit of relaxing; the hotel is there so I can get to my next day of flying, diving with a bit of relaxing :D Rosie

IMG_1759.jpg

Day 21: St. Lucia to St. Kitts

It’s Day 21….and I have been gone from home now a full three (3) weeks…and I could just stay here for a while. I LOVE BEING ON ISLAND TIME!!!!! It’s Wednesday, 29 April, and it’s travel day to St. Kitts (from St. Lucia) for Roger/Sue, Sharkbait/Crystal and Me/Tuppergal. I was up (as is the case ever day) at 0730 and in the buffet (included with the room at Coco Palm) with Tuppergal by 0800. Roger was already there (he’s an EARLY BIRD) and by the time we finished, Sharkbait/Crystal showed up to eat.

I had some last minute shopping (for my co-workers) I wanted to do, and the very-nearby shops in the Rodney Bay Mall opened at 0900. I was back to the room by 0945, and I got my bag and the dive bag packed by 1030. Joe, our driver from the day before, was there to pick us up at 1100. Customs, Immigration and the Tower over an hour, but we started up about five (5) minutes after our proposed (flight plan) time of 1230.

Caribbean_721.jpg

Caribbean_722.jpg

I’ve been VERY good at getting us all on the runway at the same time for SINGLE ship takeoffs, so you can see Roger/Sue on the far left; Sharbait/Roger/Me was the order for this takeoff.

Caribbean_723.jpg

We were requested by some Ameriflight Pilots to do a ‘low pass’ and the tower was glad to oblige ;-)

Caribbean_724.jpg

Caribbean_725.jpg

Caribbean_726.jpg

We climbed up to 6,500’ and settled in for a very nice groundspeed for a northerly heading. Here we are just passed Martinique (TFFF), midway to Dominica:

Caribbean_727.jpg

It was quite hazy over the ocean so I was glad that I had an autopilot to 'pace' Sharkbait:

Caribbean_730.jpg

You can see (below) my roundtrip ground track to Martinique to get fuel (and spanked) with Moody Blue and the third track is leaving Dominica for Canouan:

Caribbean_728.jpg

I always enjoy checking on nearest airports when far from home:

Caribbean_729.jpg

Last edited:

I saw exactly one ship on the entire (~1:15) flight to Nevis; this was a fuel stop only and is right-next-door to St. Kitts.

Caribbean_731.jpg

The highest peak on Nevis:

Caribbean_732.jpg

Caribbean_733.jpg

Here we are on left downwind for Nevis with St. Kitts on the right, left base then final to runway 10:

Caribbean_734.jpg

Caribbean_735.jpg

Caribbean_736.jpg

Nevis actually requires that you use a ‘handler’ and we used Omel Wilkin two (2) years ago; Sharkbait found her for our 2013 tirp and she is WONDERFUL!!!! And she is sporting a new ‘Hairdo’! Smile Roger & Omel!

Caribbean_737.jpg

Roger & Sue Hansen:

Caribbean_738.jpg

On the ramp after all three (3) planes were fueled; St. Kitts in the background:

Caribbean_739.jpg

After a short visit with Omel, it was time to get to nearby St. Kitts; See you next time Omel!!!

Caribbean_740.jpg

Last edited:

Once again, I got us all on the runway for single ship takeoffs:

Caribbean_741.jpg

Caribbean_742.jpg

Tuppergal found this ship sunk off the southeast coast of St. Kitts:

Caribbean_743.jpg

We had to circle a few times at the eastern coast of St. Kitts while the got a plane out for takeoff:

Caribbean_744.jpg

Caribbean_745.jpg

The cruise ship next to the airport:

Caribbean_746.jpg

Caribbean_747.jpg

Caribbean_749.jpg

Caribbean_750.jpg

Caribbean_748.jpg

I have a dive setup for the morning with Dive St. Kitts; my last day of diving for this vacation.

Last edited:
What a marvellous trip! When I showed the trip reports to my wife....her comment was ..."They are our people!". Meaning we love the Caribbean, we love flying, we love the beaches....AND, this is the big one for her.... we LOVE SCUBA diving. Looking forward to joining the tour one year.

Cheers,
Ackselle

Day 22: St. Kitts

Hi All,
Today was our last day of vacation, and starting on Friday, 1 May, it all TRAVEL back to the States and eventually home…this is the part of the trip I do not look forward to because it’s ‘back to the real world…’.

So how did I start my day? You know already…up at 0730, eating by 0800, dive shop by 0900…two 2-tank dives, back to the room by 1300 then to the pool or play in the ocean or just sit on the beach and watch the boats go by…relaxing!
Here are the last of the dive pics in St. Kitts.

My Divemaster Tony:

Caribbean_751.jpg

Caribbean_752.jpg

Caribbean_753.jpg

Caribbean_754.jpg

Caribbean_755.jpg

Caribbean_756.jpg

Caribbean_757.jpg

Caribbean_758.jpg

The FIRST turtle I’ve see the entire trip!

Caribbean_759.jpg

Caribbean_760.jpg

Day 22: St. Kitts

Tuppergal, Sharkbait, Crystal¸ Roger & Sue went sightseeing today and here are her pics:

Tuppergal LOVES her Chickens!

Caribbean_771.jpg

Caribbean_772.jpg

Caribbean_773.jpg

Caribbean_774.jpg

Caribbean_775.jpg

Caribbean_776.jpg

Caribbean_777.jpg

Caribbean_778.jpg

Caribbean_779.jpg

And this ends the ‘vacation’ part of the vacation….

Caribbean_780.jpg

Now, we have to fly….a lot…across the islands back to the mainland USA, and that will start (tomorrow) on Friday, 1 May. Keep an eye on our ground track as we hope to make Great Exuma (MYEF) in the afternoon with a fuel stop in Puerto Plata (MDPP), weather permitting of course!

Keep poundin' them rivets because it's ALL worth it!!! Rosie & Tuppergal

Last edited:
WOW! So diving, flying, photography skills have obviously been honed... folks pay a lot more to have a salt water aquarium reef in their house than what I bet you dropped on this trip. I'll take that rivet pounding any day.;)

Thanks for the updates and we'll be watching and making sure you get home safe!

Safe Trip

Hey you guys!! Have a safe trip home and I will be watching your spot tracker, I can't wait to hear about your trip!! Tailwinds:)
Keys

Day 23: St. Kitts to Great Exuma (was supposed to be Fort Lauderdale)

Hi All,
We are all SAFE ON GROUND in Great Exuma!!!!! Our plan was to fuel then turn/go to Fort Lauderdale but the weather DID NOT agree with our departure; it went from 'no problem mon' to 'OK, let's go back'...so we are here in Great Exuma for the night. I have an AWFUL internet connection and may not be able to get pics up...of nothing....their is not much to see over the ocean, especially on a hazy day. We plan to depart Great Exuma at 0800 local on Saturday so check on us then, Rosie & Tuppergal

PS: MANY Thanks to Scoot/Cookie/Shiner/Taco for the updates on the weather for tomorrow!!!

Day 23: St. Kitts to Great Exuma

Hi All,
The good news is that we traveled a pretty good clip today:

Caribbean_781.jpg

The ‘Plan the flight, fly the plan’ worked….to a point…we were able to leave Great Exuma (MYEF)...then arrived back to Great Exuma ;-)

Caribbean_782.jpg

Here's how the day went....We all were up today early in St. Kitts and ready for the taxi at 0600. We arrived to the airport in about 15 minutes, and with Sharkbait’s ’50 questions’ to the Immigration lady, he had enough information on where/what/when on how to get out of St. Kitts; I had not cleared here before.

Caribbean_783.jpg

Load 'em up!

Caribbean_784.jpg

Caribbean_785.jpg

This is Saba:

Caribbean_786.jpg

Here we are just past St. Thomas (TIST), USVI. Check out our groundspeed!

Caribbean_787.jpg

And approaching the eastern coast of Puerto Rico:

Caribbean_788.jpg

And the weather over Puerto Rico at 6,500’:

Caribbean_789.jpg

Here’s the view leaving the west coast of Puerto Rico, not far from Aguadilla airport, near the grandparent’s home of Axel Alvarez:

Caribbean_790.jpg

Last edited:

About half way between Puerto Rico and Hispanola (Dominican Republic/Haiti):
Caribbean_791.jpg

If you squint, you can see what we saw of the Dominican Republic:

Caribbean_792.jpg

It cleared up just a little about 80 miles from Puerto Plata (MDPP), but look ahead and you can see the haze from a fire that we descended into…

Caribbean_793.jpg

Caribbean_794.jpg

Caribbean_795.jpg

Caribbean_796.jpg

Flight time from St. Kitts to Puerto Plata was 3:15. We used the same 'handler' that Cookie/Scott did; Jose, and he was GREAT!

Caribbean_797.jpg

Caribbean_799.jpg

Load ‘em up again and on our way to Great Exuma (MYEF):

Caribbean_798.jpg

I LOVE TAKING OFF OVER THE WATER!!!

Caribbean_800.jpg

Last edited:

Say goodbye to Puerto Plata:

Caribbean_801.jpg

And more of ….nothing but ocean for awhile…

Caribbean_802.jpg

All present and accounted for:

Caribbean_803.jpg

Caribbean_804.jpg

Ah, this looks clearer…

Caribbean_805.jpg

Now abeam Providenciales (MBPV) in the Turks & Caicos, and our tailwind turned into a headwind:

Caribbean_806.jpg

A few clouds to dodge…

Caribbean_807.jpg

Then it was time to descend below the clouds and land Great Exuma (MYEF):

Caribbean_808.jpg

Runway 12 at Great Exuma:

Caribbean_809.jpg

Caribbean_810.jpg

Last edited:

On the inbound leg to MYEF, Unicom told us of a Caravan landing straight in…we found him…and this ‘biggie’ right behind him. There was NO way he could land behind the Caravan so we landed behind the Caravan while Mr. Biggie did a big 360 degree turn:

Caribbean_811.jpg

Jermaine Bannister, of Strachan Aviation, once again, got us fueled and turned quickly and we were off again…into the muck….yuck! It was fine 30 minutes before….so we went back to where we came from…

Caribbean_812.jpg

Ok…so that didn’t work out so well, all 24nm of it…so we turned around:

Caribbean_813.jpg

Caribbean_814.jpg

Jimmyb sent me this picture (after landing the second time):

Caribbean_820.jpg

My Dad, who was a private pilot (like Father, like son) always used to tell me, “It’s better to be down here wishing you were up there than up there, wishing you were down here…” so we are back to our favorite overnight; The Hideaways at Great Exuma. Beverly Brittain has ALWAYS taken care of us!

Caribbean_817.jpg

Caribbean_815.jpg

Caribbean_816.jpg

Caribbean_818.jpg

Caribbean_819.jpg

Based on excellent weather briefings from my 'weather team' based in the USA, we should be airborne by 0800 EDT for Fort Pierce then a long day to Dallas!

Keep poundin' them rivets because it's (really) ALL worth it! Rosie & Tuppergal

Last edited:
Rosie, since this seems to be an every-two-years sort of affair, how would my wife and I get on your list for a potential 2017 trip?

Safe travels back to the States!

You are IN Kurt...if you REALLY don't mind some open water....2017 may a triangle of 350nm legs over water...and I won't sugar-coat it; plan $500/day when leaving the USA until you return :) Rosie

The 'other' flight that landed there with 'issues' has pictures that you couldn't even post on the internet. Rosie landed in clear blue skies! :). We're back IN for the next one. Much wiser and richer I hope.

Exuma!! Whoo Hooo!!!

I really like that place!! You guys made pretty good time today, it looks like the pool there is almost over flowing, Lol, I hope you guys have a great flight tomorrow!! I will be watching, are you headed to Pecan Plantation? say hi to everybody there for me!!
Keys

Rosie, Don't know if you'll read this Saturday morning, but after you clear customs in Florida, what's your route of flight going to be?? Anywhere within 200 miles of Atlanta? Would really be great to join up with you guys and fly alone for awhile. If this works, lunch is on me for your whole group.:) Anything y'all like. Even pheasant under glass.:)

What would your air to air freq be?

My Cell is 404 550 2163 and my home is 770 205 2454.

My paint job is the same as the big fella with the P 51 paint job, with the invasion stripes on the wings.

Let me know if you can. Looking forward to it.

Don Oberlander:cool:

...Based on excellent weather briefings from my 'weather team' based in the USA, we should be airborne by 0800 EDT for Fort Pierce then a long day to Dallas!..

Looks like our return almost overlapped. We're blasting out of LaBelle in a few minutes and were also going to the DFW area, but have decided to check out New Orleans on the way. See you back in the desert.

What kind of issues Scoot?
Keys

This trip seemed to be riddled with little details to be worked through. Rosie kicked it off with the never ending alternator saga. Gene followed up with a bum Electroair ignition. Scott L. had some Glasair gear extension excitement. I had my voltage regulator (B&C) vs. water issue...

Day 24: Great Exuma to Dallas

Hi All! Here we are, the day before our last day of vacation….in Great Exuma, Bahamas on a Saturday morning…with a plan to make it to Dallas…in this plane we all call an R-V!!!! Yes, it can be done…we were airborne at 0715 (Central-Dallas time) and on the ground with Dave & Alina Buono (Taco & Belle) north of Dallas at Aero Country (T31) at 2015 (Central-Dallas time).

Here’s the proof:

Caribbean_821.jpg

Caribbean_822.jpg

Great Exuma to Fort Pierce: 3.0 hrs
Fort Pierce to Foley: 3.3 hrs
Foley to Aero County: 3.3 hrs
Total: 9.6 hobbs hours
On the watch: 0715 to 2015 (CDT): 13 hrs includes 2.25 hr lunch

And now the story behind the ground track…we awoke on Saturday, 2 May at 0600 and were ready for Mr. Milton Strachan, owner of Strachan Aviation (FBO) to pick us up and get us to the airport by 0700. The skies looked GREAT too!

Caribbean_823.jpg

Caribbean_824.jpg

Caribbean_825.jpg

It took about an hour to get the planes fueled and paperwork completed, but with Jermaine Bannister helping us through the process, he makes this Bahamas stop as simple as passing through any airport in America! Be sure you say hi to Jermaine, of Strachan Aviation Services, for us if you pass through!
Since the airport is not towered, Andrew led me out as a 2-ship with Roger/Sue as #3:

Caribbean_826.jpg

Caribbean_828.jpg

Caribbean_827.jpg

Caribbean_829.jpg

Caribbean_830.jpg

Last edited:

The skies just kept getting better as we continued northwest:

Caribbean_831.jpg

Caribbean_832.jpg

And all wingman in sight!

Caribbean_833.jpg

Roger & Sue’s RV-6 looks GREAT in the air!

Caribbean_836.jpg

About 2 hours after takeoff, the ADIZ was near….

Caribbean_834.jpg

Then here…

Caribbean_835.jpg

MANY THANKS to Sharkbait for working with FSS to get our ADIZ squawk code to cross the ADIZ (we all used 1232).
The significance of this picture is that we planned an 11:05 am arrival to Fort Pierce as that’s what we filed AND used when called Fort Pierce Customs to give the MANDATORY planned arrival time; don’t arrive early but arrive at your time or within 15 minutes later…if you can’t make your time, you need to call Flight Service and have them notify Customs!!!

Caribbean_837.jpg

Fort Pierce (KFPR) in sight!

Caribbean_838.jpg

Feet DRY!

Caribbean_839.jpg

Roger led Sharkbait and me onto final to Runway 32:

Caribbean_840.jpg

Last edited:

You can’t see Sharkbait because he’s on my left…

Caribbean_841.jpg

This picture is for my Mentor, Jim ‘Jimmyb’ Baker….do ya’ think I can get any closer to my 11:05 am arrival time?!?

Caribbean_842.jpg

Customs went VERY quickly…no questions from the ‘first’ guy behind the desk, then we took our bags to the X-ray machine and not a word from that guy…he just pointed to the exit…as always, they DID run the Geiger Counter around each plane…from there, it was a short taxi to the fuel pit:

Caribbean_843.jpg

I’m not used to see these ‘guys’ on the ramp in California:

Caribbean_844.jpg

The ‘group’ before parting ways…it sure was fun flying with them!!!!

Caribbean_845.jpg

I have to show you Sharkbait’s 5-minute N-number from Great Exuma…this was how close you had to be to read it!!!!

Caribbean_846.jpg

Roger & Sue Hansen stayed to eat lunch so Sharkbait led our 2-ship northwest bound:

Caribbean_847.jpg

See…you can read his N number…right?!?

Caribbean_848.jpg

Shortly after this picture, we said our goodbyes and I pushed the throttle in because I was going to make Dallas today, by Golly!!!! Here we are over the top of Orlando at 10,500’:

Caribbean_849.jpg

As is the case in California, Disneyworld gets SPECIAL privileges…

Caribbean_850.jpg

Last edited:

Florida is VERY GREEN and has LOTS of water!

Caribbean_851.jpg

Caribbean_852.jpg

Turning the ‘corner’, now flying westbound…to 5R4…wonder what’s there….???

Caribbean_853.jpg

And the view westbound:

Caribbean_854.jpg

Here’s the downline from 10,500’ with Pensacola (PNS) airport off the nose…check out all the boats too!!!

Caribbean_855.jpg

Caribbean_856.jpg

Caribbean_857.jpg

Now on the ‘45deg’ entry to the left downwind…

Caribbean_858.jpg

…then base….

Caribbean_859.jpg

…to runway 18 at….5R4… Foley, Alabama….

Caribbean_860.jpg

Last edited:

Here’s Jack and Phyllis Mahoney from Illinois!

Caribbean_871.jpg

One thing I forgot to mention… my AOPA directory on my Garmin 496 said ‘transportation provided’ so I called, and, YES, they picked us up. Sheila, from the business office picked us up and dropped us off. We entered through the back door and into the kitchen, and then you are seated: NO waiting in line. Thank you very much Sheila for the ride and Kudos to our Host Taylor!!!!

Caribbean_872.jpg

Caribbean_873.jpg

Caribbean_874.jpg

MANY-A-STUDENT has soloed at Foley!!!

Caribbean_875.jpg

Plane fueled & preflighted…time to fly!!!! By the way…see the blue sky ahead?

Caribbean_876.jpg

It was all a lie…no blue sky at 8,500’…

Caribbean_877.jpg

This is what we saw for the 3:15 flight to Aero Country (T31), north of Dallas:

Caribbean_878.jpg

The flight was TRULY painful as we flew directly into (and chased) the sun for THREE PAINFUL HOURS….

Caribbean_879.jpg

I sure couldn’t look out to see where I was at but I could look ‘down’…

Caribbean_880.jpg

Last edited:

I COULDN’T HAVE BEEN MORE HAPPY TO SEE THE SUN GO AWAY!!!!!

Caribbean_881.jpg

Going…

Caribbean_882.jpg

Going…

Caribbean_883.jpg

Gone!!!

Caribbean_884.jpg

Gone minutes before landing T31!

Caribbean_885.jpg

I haven’t checked but I believe we have nearly 9 hours on the hobbs for today (will verify later).

Morning: Bahamas
Evening: Dallas
Reason: RV!!!
What's in your hangar!?!

We plan to depart in the morning for California ~0800 Texas-time so check our progress on our last day of vacation!

Keep poundin’ them rivets because it’s ALL worth it! Rosie & Tuppergal

Last edited:
Rosie,

Did you "turn the corner" at the HEVVN intersection? Our route of flight was X14, HEVVN, KDTS, KNEW. We passed Pcola around noon... When were you there?

I am sure this is in a thread somewhere if I knew how to search for it. Rosie, I would be interested in knowing what underwater camera equipment you are using? Thank you.

From Rosie: I use an Intova SPORT HD with a red filter:

Intova2.jpg
Intova1.jpg

Rosie is about 30 minutes out from home. Bladder is surely about ready for a stop. What an incredible trip!

Back