What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fuselage dimple question

dspender

Well Known Member
I have read fragments of this in Tim's site and other places as well as tech support at Vans without resolution. On my 10 plans page 26-5 step 6 it says not to dimple the aft row of holes in F-1018 Outboard Seat Ribs. However page 26-6 step 8 calls for two keeper rivets AN426AD3-4 and the side skins here page 29-17 call for AN426AD3-4.5 rivets. I believe the aft row of holes on F-1018 should be dimpled as well as the other mating surfaces at this location. Do you agree?

If you look on 26-6, the AN426AD3-4 rivets are "keeper" rivets that are only temporary. You don't want those dimpled until the side skins are match drilled on first.

Thanks Mark. The problem I have at Vans is Ken said the keeper rivets stay in -nothing to deal with later. After I posted my question I noted on page 26-6 step 2 Final drill #40 the holes common to the outboard seat rib, outbid baggage rib and the fuselage bulkhead assembly. That would be this site I am talking about. Then step 5 says disassemble and dimple the final-drilled holes in step 2. It would look as though at this step this site gets dimpled because later the skin attaches here with AN426 rivets.

If I remember, there is also a gotcha in this area and you need to be careful exactly how you lap various skins - can't remember the exact details but I know I was not alone in having to de-rivet and refit a fair portion.

I did a write up on the gotcha in this area that Paul is referring to. I didn't discover the problem until it was too late as well and then, like many before me, had to "de-rivet".

Dennis I don't know that this will answer your question but take a look at this post:
http://buildingrv10.blogspot.com/2012/10/fuselage-frustration.html

since you're working on Section 26 to be sure you don't make the same mistake many of us have on frames F-1015A, F-1004D, and F-1018

possible solution

This is so frustrating. I drilled out all the skin rivets for the 1015A in order to get the forward flange inboard of the 1004D bulkhead (my mistake). But double and triple checked for dimpling of the 1015A...nada. So I used "oops" rivets to re-install the 1015A outboard seat rib. Then I found this post while countersinking and dimpling the skin under structure. Pretty sure Im screwed now. Will either have to make a doubler for the skin rivets or replace both of the 1015A's. OR... why cant I just use AN470's where they will be hidden under the wing fairing. I can use my squeezer to get at all the holes on the top of the rib with my longeron yoke.

Back