What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Extreme Low Profile Ram Mounting Solution Needed

Toobuilder

Well Known Member
I have a Ram cradle for my iPad mini and I'd like to mount it directly on the panel. I have the space for it and initially I thought I'd just hard mount the cradle to the surface in a fixed position. What I'd really like though is to be able to adjust it for best veiwing angle, glare, etc. What I want to stay away from though is the two ball fittings and that socket arm that attaches the two. That arm takes up too much real estate and allows too much bounce. Is there a solution where I can have a ball on the cradle that plugs directly into a socket fitting on the panel (no arm). This will alow me to swivel the cradle like a rearview mirror, yet there will not be any bounce.

Anything like this exist before I fire up the lathe and spend a weekend manufacturing something from scratch?

Doubt you would have any "swivel" room

mounted flat against the panel, as you describe. I have a "mini", and without the short arm length, I could not angle the ipad for better viewing, or to reduce the glare. (I went iFly 740 to solve the readability and overheat problem).

Ron

Look into Pivot Case. They have a low profile system that is exactly what you discribed. We use their system is the airlines and I really like it. Very secure and stable.

Sticking with the RAM system, the shortest solution I've see is called a "single socket arm".

31fACuZ3CtL._SL500_AC_SS350_.jpg

My solution is to use the very short 2" arm and run it down vertically so the panel ball and cradle ball are in the same plane.

The single socket arm is pretty close to what I'm looking for. Will also look into the pivot case solution as well.

Thanks for the tips!

I've been using this magnetic RAM mount for my iPhone with Garmin Pilot. I used it once for an iPad mini, but the grabbing power may be near the limits needed in bumpy conditions -- though I didn't have any problems on that one flight. Anyway, I like the single-hand operation for attach/detach, or to change orientation. The G3X is capable and friendly enough that I find I use the iDevices less than I used to in the cockpit.

fKhwKwUl.jpg

Back