What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV Cowl Modification

Cbull

I'm sure this has been discussed, but cannot find anything anywhere via google for information on the plane pictured here from the Skybolt RV install directions. It looks like a really slick cowl mod. You could even go so far as adding some sort of hinge and create a vehicle type hood action with the top cowl. But really what I'm looking for is more info on the aircraft and would like to see how well the mod has performed.

RV_Cowl_Mod.jpg

Cory,

If you like round inlets, the James cowl gets the same effect (fixed inlets feeding a plenum) without the need of fasteners across the inlet 'nostrils'. The inlet rings float, hanging on the flexible inlet tubes when top (and bottom) cowls are removed.

Charlie

Ron Morings

This is Ron Morings RV8. This is one of the slickest set ups I've seen and will be doing the same on my new 7. This allows the top cowl to be removed without disrupting the inlets. He didn't want to mess with round inlets. Neither do I.

In talking with Ron about this, he agreed with my idea that he should have used Skybolts to secure the plenum as well.

He's on the list and will send you the full details on how he accomplished this amazing mod.

cowl

Cory, I have just over 300 hrs. on the plane since fall of 2012. No problems with it at all,no chaffing or chips, no scuffs getting cowl behind the spinner. I have made some changes to my method of clamping boots to plenum and cowl. The keyhole openings in plenum allow one to get upper plugs out without removing the plenum. The carbon covers slide out the front as they are bigger than the openings and plenum pressure pushes them tighter for seal. I can remove or reinstall top cowl in just under 2 minutes. Skybolt fasteners are on 2.75 and 2.875 spacing, no gaps at full speed. I am not up to posting pics on this site but I can e-mail you some pics that you can post if you would like. Thanks Ron 815 291 8864 Also I didn't know that those pictures were in their instructions. Just after I finished I sent the pictures to them and told them they could use them, but after that project I have used them on two more planes but did not look at the instructions after the first one.

work of art

Ron, that thing is beautiful!

As an RV builder who somewhat dreads messing with the cowl attached in the conventional way (piano hinges all the way per plans), I can fully appreciate how this makes maintenance easier and more inviting. Great work!

-Stormy
RV-6A, 950 hours since 1998

Man, that does look awesome!

One more thing on my possible mods list, to be looked at after I get Phase I finished.

Charlie,

I have had my finish kit for some time now, so I will have to stick with the cowl from Vans. I actually prefer the rectangular inlets as compared to the round.

Ron,
I love the mod that you did. It just looks inherently more robust, i.e. the inlets being one piece vs. split in two. When putting the upper and lower cowl on our 182 together at the spinner I always feel that those fasteners close to the spinner are creating a really weak connection. I'll try and send you a PM with my email. Thanks for the great idea Ron.... and hope you don't mind if I try it myself :)

Back