What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

uAvonix Echo Install in 9a - pictures?

wsquare

Preparing to install uAvonix EchoUAT and Skyfy-ext system in my 9a. Have Garmin GTX327, Garmin 496, and Dynon D-180. Will be using EchoUAT to feed iPad for "ADSB-in". Have the usual antennas on the bottom of fuselage.

I have searched "Echo" for install insights, and tend to find threads that have quite a bit of drift. While they are interesting, I am not finding a crisp source of information, including pictures, that highlight a clean installation for the described application. Perhaps I am missing the ideal thread, with pictures, that would explain a well done install.

If anyone is aware of such a source of information, please advise on location.

Many thanks,
Wayne
RV 9a purchased - N1179J
Paid voluntary support for 2019

I have a Skyview, GTX330, EchoUAT+Sky EXT, and I use a tablet for nav/traffic.

I installed the Echo and Antenna in the right wing access panel. The GPS antenna I installed on a shelf inside the right wingtip. I have two serial connections, one to the skyview for altitude data (same one the GTX uses), and the other to the GTX for Squawk code (same one the Dynon uses for Xponder status display). To do that, you will need the serial multiplexer cable from Uavionix (they will send for free). Otherwise you can just sniff the code and Mode C from the transponder with no serial connection, but then you get to play with the threshold settings and such.

I made an aluminum tray for the EchoUAT and SkyFYX units that mounts underneath, bridging the instrument panel and sub-panel. A good way to go, as all components are within easy reach. It's located just to the right of throttle & mixture cables. In the first photo, the tab on the right side of the bracket hasn't been bent to final position; it's bent 90 degrees so it's parallel to sub panel and is simply through-bolted in place.

On the instrument panel side, I used a couple of nylon spacers between the bracket and IP to space it up slightly, just to make sure it wasn't visible from a seated position.

Antennas are easy and cable runs are short...a GPS puck on the glare shield, and the UAT antenna just aft of firewall in right-side footwell.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipMxT8J2V4zQsHJM4A8Z7PGoDiNy_BHxymMAf5ui

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPidQuucDpnqcWLK5xY_vftC7RGS0ubZp2OH2xs

Last edited:
Just finished installing a GTX 327 to complement existing echouat and GRT Sport FX EFIS. In fact I just finished the setup last night.

The best source of info was the UAvionix tech support. They were absolutely great. They provided, for free, a "echoUATmux" cable. This combined the squawk code from the transponder serial output and the altitude encoder signal from the serial encoder (or the EFIS in my case) into the single RS232 input to the EchoUAT. All of that to avoid having to use the transponder "sniffer" in the EchoUAT.

My setup is installed behind the baggage bulkhead and close to the aft GPS antenna.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/47etpeN763XTtLJD6

SMA to BNC or TNC adapter?

Did any of you get an SMA to TNC (fully threaded connector) adapter rather than the SMA to BNC (quarter twist style bayonet connector) for the connection between the echo unit and the customer supplied antenna cable? I think i got the former, but all of my RG400 connectors from steinair are bayonet twist style connectors, and the uavionix website says they provide a BNC adapter. I?m wondering if I just misunderstand the difference and need to get an adapter of some sort to connect my echo to the out antenna.

Question for Fliier or anyone who can answer...
Doesn't the GTX 327 transponder output through its Rs-232 port both the squawk code and pressure altitude? If so, then the multiplexer cable to the echo shouldn't be needed, right?

GTX 327 output

According to the EchoUAT manual (available online) the GTX 327 only outputs mode and squawk code (page 41). I didn't have an equivalent document from Garmin to confirm this.

https://uavionix.com/downloads/echo-uat/echoUAT-User-and-Installation-Guide.pdf

BTW, there's also an error in the manual on P49. Pin 7 is the GPS signal. When you get the MUX adapter there's a corrected version of this page included.

There are also a couple of tricky items related to Baud rate. It doesn't really affect you since you are using wireless traffic only, but for others I include this communication from UAvionix tech support for reference:

"The com 1 port on the Echo is expecting the multiplexed signal from the mux cable at 115200 and also outputs 115200 on the transmit side of com 1. GRT cannot accept high speed data on serial port one and therefore a high speed port must be selected to receive ADSB 'in' traffic from the Echo.

The transponder output is set to 9600, but once multiplexed with the encoder data, the rate into the Echo pin 4 is 115200."

In my case that meant the ADS-B in to the EFIS could not use the RX side of the same port as the alt-enc TX to the Garmin, which has to be 9600.

Last edited:
Back