What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

How to pin a connector?

Vlad

Well Known Member
I am tinkering with MS3116E8-4S which goes at the back of a Mid Continent instrument.

For the life of me I couldn't figure out how the supplied pins go all the way into the gray matter :D

Is there a sort of plastic detent?

Should I just push it harder after soldering the ends?

Walt are you around? :D

My take

From the picture it appears you might have didferent socket contacts than what I am used to. All the socket contacts I have used are a complete straight cylinder without that step in the diameter yours have.

Regardless, they should push in the back like you are showing, but normally after the wire is soldered on. I noticed you are using soldered type contacts.

They make an insertion and removal tool, but these are just cylinders with a slit down the side.

I think the piece shown with the pin sticking in it still has to come apart. Usually have to stick in the female part to hold it while unscrewing it.

I think this gives a hint -

MS3116F-10-6P.jpg

There is a sort wire retainer surrounded by the white gasket that you can see. Take that out and the pin/socket receptacle should be more obvious. :)

Hi Vlad,

You're on the right track. You do have the "solder" pins (evidenced by the half moon cutout at the back of the connector). Crimp pins are mechanically better, but, hey, work with what you got. You should be able to solder a wire onto the pin and then push it into the "grey matter" from the backside via the wire, and it will click into place. Usually, you use an insertion tool like the following (for 20AWG wires) to help the pin into place, but I've found that if the wire's straight, there will be enough force to pop the pin into position.

0003471_d-sub-pin-insertion-and-extraction-tool_400.jpeg

In any case, attach the wire and then push it into position.

Back