What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Baggage floor

bret

Well Known Member
Did you follow the plans or did any of you add nutplates to have the floor removable, it looks like around 32 nutplates?

I riveted mine in 1992. Removed them several years ago to install steps. Riveted them back in.
Unless you have reason to remove them often, it's not much difference to drill them out.

I did nutplates and made the floor removable as I'm planning on antennas (transponder and ADSB) under the floors. Definitely do it during construction and not after like I did.

IMG_2335.JPG

I made mine removable with nutplates, but only every other rivet hole.

The floor is structural. Probably not an issue but I would want a sign off from Van's on this due to the change in fastener spacing.

I riveted mine per plans. Never had a need to remove them.

I used platenuts for the entire baggage floor. I checked with Vans and they (IIRC Ken Scott specifically) said the only drawback to doing so was cost.

That said, except for the side which contains my strobe power supply, next time I would just rivet it down with the LP4's. I can't really imagine a need to get in there in the future.

I just installed a Dynon UAT on a friends RV-6A that had screwed down floorboards in the baggage area.

In this case it was easier to route four 22g wires back to the UAT box than to route another co-ax past the spar.

The UAT was simply bolted upside down to the bottom of the baggage floor - a simple solution...:)

I used nutplates on mine. It gives you more options and improved access for maintenance but takes time to instal and costs a bit more.

I put my strobe pack under one side and my comm aerial under the other. I also ran my flap position wiring under there. Of course I also have ready access to my steps (which have a bad historical record for cracking).

Either way, it's not a make or break decision. I generally find that the guys who get their jollies from building are more inclined to use nutplates, and the guys who just want to get into the air tend to use rivets.

But if you opt for nutplates don't take the advice of installing one at every second rivet hole. I doubt that would be structurally adequate.

Last edited:
Went with nutplates - only had to go in there once in 4 1/2 years but I think it made the job a lot easier and faster.

Dan

I did nutplates and made the floor removable as I'm planning on antennas (transponder and ADSB) under the floors. Definitely do it during construction and not after like I did.

IMG_2335.JPG

Ditto on this. Transponder installed under floor. All nutplates to replace rivets.

I stuck with the pull rivets. Nothing is going under there, so why add the weight and expense and hassle of installing nutplates? I ran some extra conduit under there for wiring runs and have plenty of room to get future wires back to the rear section of the fuselage.

Nutplates in mine

I used nutplates in my baggage compartment floors as well as the seat bottoms. Majority of the baggage compartment ones are countersunk type for flush screws so they don't catch bags etc. This is probably overkill if you put some carpet down over top of the floor.
I did it for two reasons:
1. Maintainability. You never know when/why you might want to get in there again. For example, check antenna grounding or coax attachments. Also, I'm tired of standing on my head trying to get under the cabin and baggage compartment floors on my Cessna 150 for any reason.
2. Inspection. The first part of this is in Canada, we're required to have a pre-cover inspection. The under floor area is one of those closed structures they like to look at before signing off. I didn't have my fuselage built when I got the pre-cover inspection done on the wings and empennage. Second part of this is the ability to easily inspect the structure on a future annual.

I used nutplates in every rivet hole. Some of these required a one leg nutplate, most required a two leg nutplate. I will say the cost of the nutplates does add up, and the installation time adds up too. However, I'd do it again.

Riveted mine

On my RV-7 I riveted the baggage floor. No steps. No antennas under this area. Nothing to require access.

I did, however, run lateral and longitudinal conduits on each side to allow for future wiring changes using standard Van's conduit. Inspections will be done using a cheap digital boroscope. If I do need access in the future, the LP-4 rivets are almost as easy to drill out as removing screws.

I used nutplates on mine. It gives you more options and improved access for maintenance but takes time to instal and costs a bit more.

I put my strobe pack under one side and my comm aerial under the other. I also ran my flap position wiring under there. Of course I also have ready access to my steps (which have a bad historical record for cracking).

Either way, it's not a make or break decision. I generally find that the guys who get their jollies from building are more inclined to use nutplates, and the guys who just want to get into the air tend to use rivets.

But if you opt for nutplates don't take the advice of installing one at every second rivet hole. I doubt that would be structurally adequate.

Well, I just did prep for one side tonight, drilled and dimpled for nutplates, until I read your post about the steps, well shoot, I guess I will do both sides now. Thanks for the info folks, it is greatly appreciated!.

Just did 90 nutplates last night on the seat, crotch, and baggage ribs, and now looking at the plans at work, it looks like I need to install more on the F-705 bulkhead top flange, Hum.....

I nutplated mine during construction. I have been back in there several times over the 5.5 yrs. First time when I had to move the battery aft of the baggage compartment for CG requirements (RV-9A w/O-360). Second time to mount an antenna, third time to run pitot/static and ADHARS wiring for upgrade to Dynon SV. Dan

Back