What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Mic too loud ...

Rupester

Well Known Member
I've done a couple of searches for this and found nothing that addressed my questions.
Problem: My SL-30 reception is excellent ... no problems, no squawks (so to speak ;). But whenever I key the mic, my voice level about blows out my own ears and there is often (not always) a great deal of audible "hash". In general, the further I am from the airport, the greater the amount of background "hash". But in all cases my voice level on transmit is deafeningly loud. I read in other threads where mic level (or mic "gain") is adjustable.

In my case:
- The SL-30 documentation says nothing (that I can find) about setting mic gain.
- The GMA 340 audio panel documentation talks about adjusting "Pilot PA Mic Speaker level", but has no info about mic gain as such.
- The info for my Zulu-2 says says nothing about mic gain adjustment.

Any suggestions or ideas on how to reduce the mic sensitivity?

Sidetone Adjustment

Assuming your actual transmissions are clear, and you have not received any reports of loud and/or garbled transmissions, you probably need to adjust the sidetone level of the SL-30. Follow the "Sidetone Level Adjustment" procedure in the installation manual.

I have *exactly* the same problem with my SL-40 (GMA-340 audio panel and GNS-430W also in the stack).

I've messed with the sidetone level in the SL-40 menus, and sometimes it's fine, other times I think I'm going to have to go to the doctor to get my ruptured eardrum fixed.

Looking for answers here...I'd like to use Comm 2 as more than just a way to listen to ATIS...

if you remove the mic sock from your zulu, you will see a small mic gain screw. Turn it down and your problem will be solved. Ask me how I know.

Mark.

Ditto on the Zulu mike gain screw.
The access hole is covered by a small, circular cover. Pry off with fingernail and use a small computer or eyeglass type screwdriver.

Tom

I've done a couple of searches for this and found nothing that addressed my questions.
Problem: My SL-30 reception is excellent ... no problems, no squawks (so to speak ;). But whenever I key the mic, my voice level about blows out my own ears and there is often (not always) a great deal of audible "hash". In general, the further I am from the airport, the greater the amount of background "hash". But in all cases my voice level on transmit is deafeningly loud. I read in other threads where mic level (or mic "gain") is adjustable.

In my case:
- The SL-30 documentation says nothing (that I can find) about setting mic gain.
- The GMA 340 audio panel documentation talks about adjusting "Pilot PA Mic Speaker level", but has no info about mic gain as such.
- The info for my Zulu-2 says says nothing about mic gain adjustment.

Any suggestions or ideas on how to reduce the mic sensitivity?

Hello Terry,

When I started using a new Zulu headset in my aircraft I had the same two problems. The sidetone level was painfully high and the transmission that I heard in the sidetone sounded "distorted".

Adjusting the radio sidetone volume solved the "too loud" problem, but the audio in the sidetone still sounded terrible.

I found that the Zulu ships with the internal dip switch in the mono position. I switched it to stereo (to match the installation) and the sidetone sounded great.

Just something else to check.

To adjust the sidetone level on the SL30, do the following:
1. Press the SYS button to access the System Settings
2. Rotate the large knob to select the COM Radio Info page and press ENT
3. Rotate the large knob to select the Sidetone Level page
4. Rotate the small knob to adjust the sidetone level over the range of 1 to 100. Setting the value to Variable slaves the sidetone level to the volume control knob.

Let us know if we can help.

Steve

Terry,

If your audio (sidetone and transmitted audio) is "garbled", your mic gain is too high and you are probably overmodulating the RF carrier of your SL-30 during transmission. If only your headset audio is too loud and your transmitted audio is not loud/garbled, then just your SL-30 sidetone level is set too high.

I would suggest trying to adjust the sidetone level of your SL-30 first, and then if still too loud "or garbled" adjust down the mic gain of your Zulu headset. Then, if you adjusted the mic gain level, you may have to readjust the sidetone level.

If you continue to have problems, a competent avionics shop can easily adjust your mic gain for proper modulation level as well as your sidetone level for proper headphone audio level.

Why I love this web site.

Just something else to check.

To adjust the sidetone level on the SL30, do the following:
1. Press the SYS button to access the System Settings
2. Rotate the large knob to select the COM Radio Info page and press ENT
3. Rotate the large knob to select the Sidetone Level page
4. Rotate the small knob to adjust the sidetone level over the range of 1 to 100. Setting the value to Variable slaves the sidetone level to the volume control knob.

Let us know if we can help.

Steve[/QUOTE]

I have been putting up with an ear-splitting sidetone level in my headset from my SL-40 since I installed it almost four years ago because I had no idea how to correct it. 30 seconds following the above instructions and it's now perfect. I slaved the sidetone level to the volume control knob and I couldn't be happier with the result. I actually might start using that radio. Thank you so much.

Terry,

If your audio (sidetone and transmitted audio) is "garbled", your mic gain is too high and you are probably overmodulating the RF carrier of your SL-30 during transmission. If only your headset audio is too loud and your transmitted audio is not loud/garbled, then just your SL-30 sidetone level is set too high.

I would suggest trying to adjust the sidetone level of your SL-30 first, and then if still too loud "or garbled" adjust down the mic gain of your Zulu headset. Then, if you adjusted the mic gain level, you may have to readjust the sidetone level.

If you continue to have problems, a competent avionics shop can easily adjust your mic gain for proper modulation level as well as your sidetone level for proper headphone audio level.

Do you guys know if any of this applies to Bose headset as well? My sidetone of SL40 was loud and I adjusted it to a more reasonable setting but the transmission (my own voice in the headset) is some what distorted. I don't have this issue when I transmit from the 430W radio.

Thanks in advance

Do you guys know if any of this applies to Bose headset as well? My sidetone of SL40 was loud and I adjusted it to a more reasonable setting but the transmission (my own voice in the headset) is some what distorted. I don't have this issue when I transmit from the 430W radio.

Thanks in advance

Yes the same issue in Bose, adjust the side level tone to variable and problem solved.

Tower vs approach

I've noticed a related "phenomenon" on my SL-40. I've adjusted the sidetone to my general satisfaction, but I do occasionally notice that the sidetone level seems MUCH louder when switching from Approach to Tower at some airports. This seems to happen in both of my SL-40-equipped aircraft, so I don't think it's installation specific.

Has anyone else noticed this? I wonder if it can be corrected.

m

I've noticed a related "phenomenon" on my SL-40. I've adjusted the sidetone to my general satisfaction, but I do occasionally notice that the sidetone level seems MUCH louder when switching from Approach to Tower at some airports. This seems to happen in both of my SL-40-equipped aircraft, so I don't think it's installation specific.

Has anyone else noticed this? I wonder if it can be corrected.

m

Try setting the side tone to "variable". That solved the problem for me with my SL-30 & Bose A20.

Follow-up

I did the sidetone adjustment a week or so ago ... my mic volume (in my headset) is MUCH better. The original sidetone setting was 50; I lowered it to 35. I'm thinking about adjusting it downward just a bit more .... then it would be perfect.
Thanks much for the help and advice !! :D

How do you set the side tone to variable? Is that 000 in the setting?

Thanks

It could be, it's been awhile since I did it. If you enter the "System Mode" then get to the Comm options, find the Sidetone Level page, it's either before 1 or after 100. My recollection is that it was confusing in the user guide but self-explanatory when I was sitting in the cockpit messing with the knobs.

Thanks Lars, maybe one of these days we can meet up and play with it. I have also gone into the side tone menu and have not seen the variable option. I will look again and report if I find such option.

Thanks Lars, maybe one of these days we can meet up and play with it. I have also gone into the side tone menu and have not seen the variable option. I will look again and report if I find such option.

If you have time stop by my hangar tomorrow. KDWA, middle row of hangars just south of Skydance. #7. By early afternoon there will be plenty of activity...

Back