What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV-10 Cowl attachment

kenmorris

How durable is using the hinge method of attaching the cowl? I used #10 counter sunk screws on my 7A and never had a problem. The reason I am asking is, the hinges are already installed on the RV10.

RV-10 Cowl Hinges

How durable is using the hinge method of attaching the cowl? I used #10 counter sunk screws on my 7A and never had a problem. The reason I am asking is, the hinges are already installed on the RV10.

I would replace the bottom cowl hinges with cam locks. As far as the side hinges no problem. I like cam locks for the top instead of hinges but both work.

Ours was like Russ's....

...with three camloks per side under the lower cowl and all of them spaced at 4" intervals on the rear of the top cowl. No problems in 500 hours on our 6A.

Best,

Im a big camlock fan. My RV-8 has all camlocks and I will be installing them on the 10 in a few weeks. I have no regrets. I don't know if I would change a plane that already had the hinges unless there was a problem with access.

On the other hand

I'm gonna play Devil's Advocate, If you walk up to a beautifully painted RV and see no fasteners on that sleek cowl it's hard to invision placing hardware all around it. Cowl can be removed quicker with hinge attachment and you can buy enough hinge material to do your cowling for what 2 skybolt fasteners and buckets cost. Just sayin :D Can't go wrong either way.
Canon%20006.jpg
Love it when they say, "Dude, where's the screws"

any chance there are pictures of the camloks setup that could be shared?

thanks

Ross
finishing kit

Back