What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Measuring primer & paint thickness

wrongway john

Well Known Member
I really want to be careful when I apply my primer and paints, going with a minimum amount, and would like to get a good idea of how much I?m putting on early so as not to add any more weight than necessary since it seems one can really get carried away here.

I have some micrometers and also a weight and beam gram scale that I can use which will give me some confirmation of how much weight I'm adding to each part. But when I start getting the plane more complete, weighing individual parts and getting a micrometer onto many areas of the plane won't be as pratical any more.

Thinking an electronic meter might work well here if they live up to their accuracy claims. This $395.00 gauge is a bit on the expensive side, although it has the ISO standard compliant. I seen other makes on e-bay for half and less.

Any recommendations on a particular electronic meter you're happy with?

Try spraying on a garbage bag or black sheet plastic (1mil, etc). When the paint dries, peel it off and then measure.

Back