What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Do I need to install a GPS with a G3X or Skyview EFIS?

Debovsky

Perhaps this question has been addressed before and I tried to find a thread in the forum discussing this but I quit searching. Its like looking for a needle in a hay ball.

I'm seriously considering to go with the glass panel. There are many options out there for this but the trouble I have isn't about which one to choose from as much as what accessories or "addons" that needs to be installed along with. Transponders are easy. Just drop a remote unit and your fine. But I'm all confused about the GPS units say, for a Dynon Skyview or Garmin G3X. They both seems to have an integrated GPS receiver and just need to have an antenna installed for them to work. However, why some guys are installing stand alone units in addition to the one already integrated to the EFIS?

Using steam gauges only I would understand but with an EFIS there I'm lost.

Perhaps this question has been addressed before and I tried to find a thread in the forum discussing this but I quit searching. Its like looking for a needle in a hay ball.

I'm seriously considering to go with the glass panel. There are many options out there for this but the trouble I have isn't about which one to choose from as much as what accessories or "addons" that needs to be installed along with. Transponders are easy. Just drop a remote unit and your fine. But I'm all confused about the GPS units say, for a Dynon Skyview or Garmin G3X. They both seems to have an integrated GPS receiver and just need to have an antenna installed for them to work. However, why some guys are installing stand alone units in addition to the one already integrated to the EFIS?

Using steam gauges only I would understand but with an EFIS there I'm lost.

Hello Marc,

The only time you need to install a stand alone GPS or other navigator with a Garmin G3X system is if you intend to fly IFR.

As you indicate, each G3X display has a convenient built-in WAAS GPS, so all you need to do is hook a GPS antenna to the BNC connector on the back of at least one of those displays and go fly.

Let us know if you have additional questions.

Thanks,
Steve

Hello Steve, thanks for the quick reply.

As a matter of fact, I don't intend to fly in IFR conditions (or file a flight plan under these conditions) so I'll skip the stand alone GPS unit so the control panel will be kept simple.

However, I have one last question. As a student pilot for my PPL, I know that I'll have to go through 5 hours of "flight instrument training" (as per CAR) for safety reasons. I'm flying my own aircraft (a Cherokee 140) which I doubt is IFR compliant. Well I'm saying this based on my knowledge on how an aircraft should be equipped for. My point is with two G3Xs, I suppose I'll be able to fly "IFR" if for instance, weather conditions (or whatever changes occur) are affecting visual reference then, I will rely on the G3X displays right?

Thanks

Stand alone GPS

Having a stand alone GPS is not an absolute requirement. But with Murphy's law in effect the one GPS will fail when you need it the most. Except for $$$, there is no down side to connecting a stand alone GPS.

I have a DYNON system myself and recommend you connect one, if not now in the future. :cool:

Hello Steve, thanks for the quick reply.

As a matter of fact, I don't intend to fly in IFR conditions (or file a flight plan under these conditions) so I'll skip the stand alone GPS unit so the control panel will be kept simple.

However, I have one last question. As a student pilot for my PPL, I know that I'll have to go through 5 hours of "flight instrument training" (as per CAR) for safety reasons. I'm flying my own aircraft (a Cherokee 140) which I doubt is IFR compliant. Well I'm saying this based on my knowledge on how an aircraft should be equipped for. My point is with two G3Xs, I suppose I'll be able to fly "IFR" if for instance, weather conditions (or whatever changes occur) are affecting visual reference then, I will rely on the G3X displays right?

Thanks

Hello Marc,

Interesting question.

Rather than get into the regulations regarding aircraft equipage when flying IFR, let me answer your question by saying that a G3X aircraft (single, dual, or triple displays) is properly equipped with the flight instruments required by FAR Part 61.109 for PPL flight training with respect to "control and maneuvering of an airplane solely by reference to instruments" needed to complete this training.

In the U.S., a Skycatcher is used by many student pilots to obtain the PPL and is similarly equipped. I am not sure if there are any subtle differences in the Canadian requirements.

Please let me know if this doesn't answer your question.

Thanks,
Steve

FAR Part 61.109

3 hours of flight training in a single-engine airplane on the control and maneuvering of an airplane solely by reference to instruments, including straight and level flight, constant airspeed climbs and descents, turns to a heading, recovery from unusual flight attitudes, radio communications, and the use of navigation systems/facilities and radar services appropriate to instrument flight;

Hi Steve, your answer is exactly what I was looking for. Now it is clear about equipment selection.

With respect to regulation in Canada vs US, it is most of the time fairly similar in many aspects except that it is written differently.

Thanks

Back