What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Garmin GPSMap 296 Bugs

LarGriff

I recently upgraded my GPSMap 296 flashware to version 3.00. Since then, I've experienced several problems, although some previous bugs have been fixed.

The NMEA-0183 output died. When I tried to re-enable it, all I got was "Garmin Text Out". I tried several other formats, but still only get "Garmin Text Out".

Sometimes when I'm flying the unit shuts off for no reason. The battery is good; it can run for hours after a "shutoff event".

Sometimes when I try to use the database to look up airport info, it will shut off for no reason.

I've contacted Garmin but all they've suggested is resetting the factory defaults, which didn't help. They also suggested rolling back to previous version. :(

Anyone else seeing these problems? Maybe I should send it in for repair?

Larry

Garmin 296

Larry,

My 296 has worked flawlessly and I haven't had any of the problems you have experienced. I have flown with it for probably 40 hours now. If it is shutting off for no reason while in use and along with the other issues I think I would send it back to Garmin for replacement.

Mike
Austin, TX
N678SR RV-8

Back