What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Joni?s Diner at Smoketown, Pa. is closing!

Dave12

Well Known Member
Well, another airport eatery is closing it?s doors after many years. Joni?s Smoketown Diner will serve it?s last meals next Monday, Feb.17 th. Joni and Anthony have always treated the fly-in crowd very well. They have done a real good job of putting up with us over the years. They are moving to a new location several miles from the airport. If you?re out and about this weekend, drop in and wish them well. Free food for pilots! NOT!

Also one can hike east toward Bird in Hand farmer?s market. There a sidewalk like shoulder just watch the buggies.

Diner

My sense is that airport restaurants are surviving mostly from non aviation customers.
I have not been back east for a while but the number of airport restaurants has to be much smaller than 20 years ago. Still a few survive. Lancaster, Cherry Ridge, Sky Manor and Sky Acres are a few examples. At Princeton NJ one can find a bunch of restaurants fairly close to the airport including two across the street from the end of runway 28. They even have a Friendly's, a brand that is struggling. The diner at Sussex NJ was still there the last time I checked.
A satellite view will highlight restaurants near an airport. Fore Flight under services will list distance to nearest restaurant.

Joni's 340 Diner at Smoketown has the biggest pancake you will ever see. It covers an entire plate and is 1/2" thick! Incredible.

Joni's 340 Diner at Smoketown has the biggest pancake you will ever see. It covers an entire plate and is 1/2" thick! Incredible.

I?ll never forget the look on All around good bloke, Nigel Speedy?s face when he was served his order of pancake at Joni?s.

Back