What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Rudder skin holes....dimple all of them?

SteVanZ10

I'm New Here
So wondering if I need to dimple ALL the rudder skin holes. A simple word like ALL in the steps would make things easier. I question this due to the rivets on the rolled leading edge. Thanks all for your wisdom!

Get used to looking at the plans and making sure you understand completely what type of rivets will go into each hole before you get carried away dimpling everything. The tail kit holds your hand in the instructions, but those taper off quick with the wings and fuselage.

The rolled leading edge holes don't get dimples. I don't remember right now whether the trailing edge holes get dimpled before or after you roll/bend the trailing edge to hold tight against the wedge.

Get used to looking at the plans and making sure you understand completely what type of rivets will go into each hole before you get carried away dimpling everything. The tail kit holds your hand in the instructions, but those taper off quick with the wings and fuselage.

This is the best advice, read ahead to the rivet call outs and you'll know which ones to dimple and which ones not to. Once you get to the wings and Fuselage you have to do this frequently.

Lynn

Trailing edge

Trailing edge holes need to be first match drilled with the wedge and second skin
Before dimpling.

Back