What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

W-730 aileron bellcrank alignment jig

JackinMichigan

Well Known Member
I'm currently trying to use the W-730 alignment jig on the right wing aileron bellcrank, and it doesn't fit. The hole in the jig that the bellcrank bolt is supposed to slide into is off by about 1/2 a hole. It fits the left bellcrank, but not the right. Has anyone else had this problem? I'm wondering if my right bellcrank was made incorrectly, and whether I should modify the jig or look into getting a new bellcrank?

I agree something isn't right. One of the axioms I learned during the build is if it doesn't fit, either I'm not understanding the task at hand or something is wrong with the part. Usually the problem was with me not interpreting the instructions properly. :confused:

I would suggest giving Van's a call. Be sure to take and send photos to the support email before the call so that they can look at them with you on the phone.

Like Mike I wanted a second one. I ordered a second one so I would have one for each wing. I got tired of moving the one back and forth.

Something isn't right with your install.

Also had the same problem

I made a copy of the jig I got from Vans. The problem with the right one was interference with the roll servo mount (Garmin) that prevented it from sitting flush against the spar (sitting flush against the spar I think is the important reference point). I removed some material at the tapered end to clear the roll servo mount, after which it fitted perfectly. Make sure it does not sit on one of the rivet heads as well. I think having two of the WD-730 makes your life easier. Left one keeps that side stable as well as the control stick centered while you adjust the right side.
Johan

Last edited:
I had the same issue as Dorfie and just removed a bit of material on the side of the Garmin roll servo.

I also made a jig for both wings to hold the WD-1014 Forward Torque Tube in the right position.

Also, when you move the stick forward/aft (elevator) the ailerons will go up and down slightly. Make sure the elevator is locked neutral when you rig the ailerons. I drill a #40 hole through the bellcrank and support by the battery with the bellcrank neutral as per the plans. Slip in a drill bit for a rigging pin. Helps with the rest of the rigging too.

I had the same issue as Dorfie and just removed a bit of material on the side of the Garmin roll servo.

I also made a jig for both wings to hold the WD-1014 Forward Torque Tube in the right position.

You may have just found his issue. The jigs were made with TruTrak servos. If the other vendors servos are different in shape and/or size, that may explain why the jig isn't producing consistent results.

Dorfie and ERushing,

That was exactly the problem. The Garmin autopilot servo bracket was interfering with the jig, so I cut about 1/2" off the end of the jig and everything is fine.

Back