What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

And The Hits Just Keep On Comin'

Plummit

Well Known Member
Yesterday we flew to KRAL for a breakfast run with some IFR time. Great breakfast with an RV-7 driver and his wife, topped off with some $3.99 100LL, then fired it up for the trip home. Avionics master "ON", and the PFD of my G900X won't work.... ARGGG! Switched screens with the MFD and the PFD screen is still dead, other than some dim flashes of light.

Called Garmin this morning and they agree that it's probably the screen, MSRP $1400. But(!) "You have to order from a Garmin Dealer."

OK, fair enough, I call my local Avionics dealer and by the end of the day I have an overhauled screen being shipped. Oh and getting it configured to my airplane may take several hours at $95/hour....

Has anyone had to replace a GDU-1040 and if so, how hard was it?

thanks

~Marc

Marc,

Call us here at SteinAir and ask for Christer. When we sold more G900 systems he went into the field and did the configuration and warranty certification so he might be able to help. 651-460-6955.

Last edited:
Thanks Mike, I spoke with him this morning. You guys are AWESOME! I would have brought it to you in a heartbeat if you were closer.

regards

~Marc

Very easy; I had to do it several times :mad:

Christer is a very good recommendation; he came to do our initial instal.

Update

We flew out to KHMT Saturday and as we were starting up to leave, I hit the avionics master switch. The PFD came right on but the MFD lit up with a white screen! I cycled the power a couple of time and got it boot up normally. Sunday we flew down to CRQ and it did it again! I had to try several times to get the MFD back up.

So today I called Mark at Advantage Avionics and told him my sad story. He says we must have got a bad screen from Garmin. I reminded him that the screen we just replaced was the PFD and now my problem is the MFD. He says yes, that's the screen we replaced, because we have to swap them to load the software!

And the hits......

~Marc

Last edited:
Back