What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

drilling out pop rivets

bobnoffs

Well Known Member
put a stop on the drill bit so only 1/4'' of the bit is exposed. when outcomes aren't so good drilling out pop rivets often it is caused by the longer bit ''wallowing'' out the hole either as it drills thru or as you pull it out of the hole.

You?re drilling too deep. Drill only to a point you can pop the head off. Then gently punch the remainder out.
Sometimes the stem breaks off flush with the head or not very deep when the rivet is set. You can gently punch the stem down if you have a solid enough structure. Then drill off the head and punch out the body.

I always punch the stem out first and then drill the rivet out with a slightly undersized bit.

If the stem is in and the drill hits it, it will wonder. If the stem is not there, you shouldn't have any issues.

I use a center punch to drive the mandrel, but only to where it's low enough that the drill won't touch it, then drill just to pop off the head. Use the centerpunch again to push the mandrel out the bottom. Too easy.
Always use a backup block on the mandrel side to prevent distorting the workpiece.

I use a center punch to drive the mandrel, but only to where it's low enough that the drill won't touch it, then drill just to pop off the head. Use the centerpunch again to push the mandrel out the bottom. Too easy.
Always use a backup block on the mandrel side to prevent distorting the workpiece.

John,
Did you find a spring-loaded center punch narrow enough to fit in the hole in the rivet where the stem is, or did you have to modify a punch to get it to work?
Thanks,

No mod needed - works a treat out of the box. Use the lighter duty 'aluminum' punch. I have a ?" diameter blind hole drilled in a UHMW backup block to catch the mandrel.

Thanks, John. I'll have to look around for a smaller one. The diameter of the one I have is too big and can't reach the stem inside the hole.

i punch out the mandrel first with a spring loaded punch.
where you can get into trouble ''pounding'' the rivet thru after the head is drilled out is when the material is thin. if the rivet slips thru the top material but grabs the back material or your punch catches the back material a flange etc. can get bent [a lot].

Back