What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Old School Aileron Trim Tab

smokyray

Well Known Member
Guys,
Anybody out there sporting the old school Van's Electric Aileron (movable) Trim tab they formerly sold for the RV4/6/8?
If so, could you post a pic of the installed tab on the aileron with the servo mount and push-rod?
Muchas Gracias!

V/R
Smokey

I dont have the Vans setup, but I do have a spare aileron with a trim tab I added. I havent finished it yet, but it is one of my side projects. Long story, but the skin had a small dent in the TE and it cracked when I bent the skin. I made a new aileron, and modified this one with a tab similar to the elevator, but much smaller.

yes

Guys,
Anybody out there sporting the old school Van's Electric Aileron (movable) Trim tab they formerly sold for the RV4/6/8?
If so, could you post a pic of the installed tab on the aileron with the servo mount and push-rod?
Muchas Gracias!

V/R
Smokey
Smokey,
My hangar mate has the aileron trim on his -6 from the original build. Couple years ago I bought the "kit" from Vans and retrofitted one on my aileron to match his....both right side not left per instructions. I took pictures of the not so easy retrofit. Gladly share with you. Via email.
Have you checked with Vans to see if they still supply the kit?

I just wanted to follow-up. I dug through my build log. I don't have any good pictures at the moment. I have that aileron in the attic right now, and my paint-booth is blocking the ladder. I'll get some shots when I can get into the attic, but it may be a while.

Actual tab

I made a 5.25" long x 1.5" wide tab on the inboard side of the aileron.
Servo mounted through aileron spar (at pivot line to keep aileron balanced). Simple 1/8" bent rod to keep it light.

Not flying yet, so no idea how well it'll work.

Pictures here:
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1r37DgAp47HFhOGszjt4xgDWG4u6kSbrh

Finn

(originally intended as part of a poor man's wing leveler)

Guys,
Muchas Gracias!

V/R
Smokey

Last edited:
Back